Digital compass - suggestions?

Thread: Digital compass - suggestions?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    DavidSeattleWA

Digital compass - suggestions?

I posted something similar a while back but I can't seem to find the thread now. So I guess I'm kinda starting over again on this topic.

I'm looking for a Casio with a digital compass. Preferably solar, day/date displayed simultaneously. Atomic isn't crucial to me but I suppose if you're going to spend a little money on a watch like this you might as well get one with atomic feature - why cheat yourself out of a feature? As far as the digital compass feature goes, is there a better series to go with when it comes to Protrek or Pathfinder? Is one "better" than the other?

I'm really unfamiliar with the Protrek and Pathfinder series. They both seem really similar, offering a lot of the same features. Where do these watches differ? There's a lot of them and they all seem to do the same thing .... just wondering where the biggest differences are.

Thanks!
    Last edited by DavidSeattleWA; November 1st, 2009 at 02:05.

Re: Digital compass - suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by DavidSeattleWA View Post
    I'm really unfamiliar with the Protrek and Pathfinder series. They both seem really similar, offering a lot of the same features. Where do these watches differ? There's a lot of them and they all seem to do the same thing .... just wondering where the biggest differences are.
    They seem really similar because they are the same. ProTrek is the EU/JP name, Pathfinder the US branding, but they are the same thing. Sea-Pathfinder is not the same as Pathfinder and it is used world-wide.

The EU/JP ProTreks have model numbers starting with PRG (non-atomic, but sometimes solar) or PRW (solar+atomic) while the US Pahfinders use PAG and PAW. As far as I know, the prefix of the model number is the only difference.

As far as functions, there are only a few series (models on the same row are the same given or taken the solar/atomic features):

Code:
    PRG/PAG    PRW/PAW
      40           -
      50           -
      80        1100
     100           -
     110        1300
     120           -
     130        1500
     200        2000
    The letters after the series' number only specify materials and colors (Y = all back w/ reverse display; T = titanium bracelet; B = black resin; J = Japan-only; GC, GB... = special colors).

Last, Casio also makes ProTrek-like watches which are not ProTreks but have some A/C/B/T functionality nonetheless, like the SGW-100 and GW-9200 (G-Shock Riseman).
    Last edited by RiseOfTheAnts; February 8th, 2010 at 19:37.

Being that the compass is the main feature you need, I'd go with a PRG/PAG-80. It has a big face with the duplex screen (which the PAW1300 and PAW1500 don't have) showing the compass points clearly in blue overlay.

Not atomic, but solar. It's big, but ideal for field work application imho.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

DavidSeattleWA

Thanks for that info. Do you have any experience with the Pathfinders? Enough to recommend a particular model?

DavidSeattleWA

Quote Originally Posted by bluegum View Post
    Being that the compass is the main feature you need, I'd go with a PRG/PAG-80. It has a big face with the duplex screen (which the PAW1300 and PAW1500 don't have) showing the compass points clearly in blue overlay.

Not atomic, but solar. It's big, but ideal for field work application imho.

You're right, that watch is huge. Thanks for the suggestion

I would also take a look at the SGW-100. It fits your requirements except for the solar/atomic, but it is much cheaper than the ProTreks/Pathfinders and more comfortable to wear, and its compass is easier to read than some ProTreks/Pathfinders.

DavidSeattleWA

Quote Originally Posted by RiseOfTheAnts View Post
    I would also take a look at the SGW-100. It fits your requirements except for the solar/atomic, but it is much cheaper than the ProTreks/Pathfinders and more comfortable to wear, and its compass is easier to read than some ProTreks/Pathfinders.
    Ooh, I like this one! Seems like a more reasonable size, too. So is this considered a Protrek, or some other Casio line? It doesn't say Protrek or Pathfinder on it.

Let me ask you something very specific about the compass. Will it give you an accurate reading while it's on your wrist, or do you have to literally take it off and hold it in front of you to obtain a reading?? I ask this because I'd like to be able to rely on the compass while driving.

its old school...but still available

DavidSeattleWA

Thanks, what is the model number?

Any experience with this model?

Quote Originally Posted by mongo View Post
    its old school...but still available

Why not go really old school?!

Seriously, in terms of accuracy I think they are pretty good. You do need to hold your wrist flat while taking a reading, but certainly don't need to remove the watch from your wrist.
    Current G's:
    GW-9200J-1 Riseman
    DW-004ASJ-8AT (stealthed)
    DW-9800 Wademan AR-3T ARTI
    DW-8800AJ ADMA's Full set of 5

Wish List:

G-7900 1ER - GW-7900B-1JF - GW-M5600BC -
    G-9000-8DVR Stormtrooper - GW-9100MB-1JF Gulfman - FTS-100 Forester

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information