• 3 Post By Mike K
  • 1 Post By anathema
  • 5 Post By cal..45
  • 2 Post By Tetsu Tekubi
  • 1 Post By Rostislav Persion
  • 1 Post By Mike K

Thread: Digital GPS time sync...

Angry Digital GPS time sync...

Will they ever make a digital watch that uses GPS for ONLY time sync... (I don't need map feature, just time)

I'm tired of waiting until 8pm (New York) to sync my watch. And I don't like the current atomic towers.....

1) Towers can go up or down any moment, they used to have multi band 5 now they have 6

2) Atomic clock coverage is not anywhere, which is stupid, cause they could have set up more towers with less precision for domestic use. I don't care if it is off by half a second.

3) each tower has its own transmission protocol and the watch has to be programmed to know all 6 of them, why not use one protocol???

-Slava

P.S. I have a ... CASIO G-SHOCK GW-M5610-1
    CASIO GW-M5610-1 & PULSAR PQ2011

Re: Digital GPS time sync...

Quote Originally Posted by Rostislav Persion View Post
    I'm tired of waiting until 8pm (New York) to sync my watch. And I don't like the current atomic towers.....
    Why are you waiting until 8 PM to synch your watch? Just let the watch do it automatically every night at midnight, and then you can verify that it received first thing in the morning by pressing one button.

1) Towers can go up or down any moment, they used to have multi band 5 now they have 6
    Towers don't go down temporarily for maintenance very often, and they certainly don't go UP at any moment.

Some of the earliest radio-controlled G-Shocks only received ONE signal, and Casio had to build different models for the US and European markets (and presumably another one for "just" the Japanese towers.) Then they created the GW-5600J which could receive the Japanese AND the US signal. That led to the Multiband 5 versions that receive the US, European, and Japanese signals -- all in one watch that could be sold worldwide. Most recently, Multiband 6 was created to take advantage of the relatively new (2002) Chinese towers and presumably the people in China who would buy their products.

It may be a long, LONG time until they invent a "Multiband 7" because....

2) Atomic clock coverage is not anywhere, which is stupid, cause they could have set up more towers with less precision for domestic use. I don't care if it is off by half a second.
    Different regional governments set up their own atomic clocks and radio towers. Currently there are probably a billion people within range of a tower in India, but the one they have broadcasts at 11 MHz, well beyond the 40 to 100 KHz range that Casio uses. Why doesn't India broadcast on the lower frequency? You'd need to ask the government of India about that one.

In another, older thread, we did some fuzzy math and more or less "proved" that it wouldn't be cost effective for Australia to build a tower, since their area is so large compared to the number of inhabitants. The "cost per resident" would be MUCH cheaper if they were to build one in western Asia (or broadcast at another frequency) but it hasn't happened yet.

3) each tower has its own transmission protocol and the watch has to be programmed to know all 6 of them, why not use one protocol???
    Again, blame the different governments who set up the towers -- it's not like they consulted with Casio beforehand! Governments PROBABLY pick a wavelength that won't interfere with their neighbors. See the chart halfway down: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_clock
    GaryK30, soulbridgemedia and idkfa like this.

Will they ever make a digital watch that uses GPS for ONLY time sync... (I don't need map feature, just time)

-Slava
    There's no technical reason why a digital watch with GPS time sync can't be built. As far as I know, Casio, Citizen and Seiko currently make only ana-digi or analog watches with GPS time sync capability.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Why 8PM? Just wear the watch and don't worry about the rest. It syncs when it syncs. I live in northern Canada and it syncs on my wrist while I sleep.

Ditto in the southern tip of Mexico. Literally never a problem. Heck people in Aus sometimes sync to the Japanese transmitter.

If you miss a night, big deal. You're still accurate within a few milliseconds. As long as you get a sync once a week even I bet you're within a second or so of accurate.
    MercifulFate likes this.

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

-Slava

Your post doesn't make any sense to me - and I mean no sense at all!

1. you can sync your watch any time you like, but why do it when they sync automatically at night?

2. towers can go up and down, true but GPS can get shut down any moment as well - it's a military property after all. Besides, you usually have very bad to no GPS in a building, have fun to walk outside a building in the middle of the night just to grab a signal.

3. if you don't care about a half second off, why you are in need of an atomic/GPS watch at all? I can live very happy with a few seconds discrepancy (4-6 mostly) PER MONTH with my non-atomic watches, if that is not good enough (which is usually never the case) than my cell is always the source for highest precision.

cheers
    We are 12.6 %

i wouldnt be surprised if they released a digital with gps this year, its one of the few holes they have left in their line up.

-Slava

what did you do before you owned a watch with multiband? were you constantly seconds late for meetings? :-0
    Last edited by soulbridgemedia; January 21st, 2016 at 08:12.
    MercifulFate and Subafan like this.
    the aritst formerly known as soulbridgemedia
    Whoisdisdointhissynthe tictypeofalphabetapsychedelicfunkin

IG: soulbridge_media
    IG: thegcollective

Is it just me, or does anyone else get pleasure every time your watch syncs?

I like the feel of retro hardware connecting to some kind of tower...

GPS will never go down because a lot of hardware depends on it all over the world.

Not as much hardware relies on multiband
    MercifulFate likes this.
    CASIO GW-M5610-1 & PULSAR PQ2011

Is it just me, or does anyone else get pleasure every time your watch syncs?

I like the feel of retro hardware connecting to some kind of tower...

GPS will never go down because a lot of hardware depends on it all over the world.

Not as much hardware relies on multiband
    As I said in another of these threads, since it's old technology there are probably millions of radio-controlled watches and clocks across North America, and most of them synch every night.

All of my 14 (?) atomics synch every night, usually on their first attempt, so I just take the process for granted these days. I check to make sure there's a "received" signal in the morning or if I change watches, but I don't normally even bother to check the date and time of the last reception.

It's definitely VERY cool at first, though!
    Last edited by Mike K; January 23rd, 2016 at 20:57.
    MercifulFate likes this.

I was awake last night while my watch started syncing. I read in the manual to make sure the watch isn't moving while it syncs, but since I was going to bed soon I figured it could just sync the next hour. I moved around the whole house and the signla just kept switching from L2 to L3... and at last it synced! Was very cool. Since i've had the watch I could only get it to sync when it was on my nightstand facing the window. But the past few nights it has been syncing from my wrist as well.

Thread Information