13 36.11%
  • DIGITAL ONLY

24 66.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Digital v. Analog v. Both

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question Digital v. Analog v. Both

A few years back analog G-Shocks were in a minority and digital were way more popular. These days we see more and more hands on G's, some have dual digital and analog features. Casio must have their reasons for the new trend. I wonder what G owners think about this and what is their preference?

I served in the military and law enforcement - now retired, so that maybe the reason for my preference of DIGITAL time only. I also prefer it displayed as 24hr time not 'P'

IMO some these new models are just too fussy with hands, windows and bezels with world cities and some are just too damn big!
    Last edited by STEVIE; February 10th, 2016 at 13:50.

lvt

Re: Digital v. Analog v. Both

I think ana-digit watches are more practical, they work the same way like mechanical chronograph watches, you always have the current time and other activities are in the background.

I'm a professional [desk] diver.
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

I have always been and will always be an avid liker for pure digital watches. I know there are avid fans of Analog watches here too, and I do not intent to hurt anyone's feelings here. However, as a personal opinion, those multifunctional analogs dials are way too busy and using the functions are way too complicated!!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I voted for digital only and analogue only. I like digital only for travelling, as I find it easier to read the time precisely to make it to flights and train rides on time. Whereas for daily use in the office I prefer analogue only, better for reading passage of time so I know how long till the boring meetings end...

Never had an ana-digi, been tempted a few times, but they never look right to me when I see them in real life. The digital cut out looks like a disruption to the harmony of an analogue dial

I have 3 ana-digis and 3 pure digital g shocks. I bought the ana-digis because of its appearance. Imho they look cool.

Analog vs Digital?
    Split decision IMHO.
    Like both. What is a turn off is the Digi/Anolog models.
    One or the other. In my 8 GShock collction I have 4 Digis
    and 6 Analogs, Find myself wearing Analogs at night and Digis
    during daylight hours.
    Fave G is the 3000 b b 1.

X traindriver Art
    BeaVis PaLigis likes this.

Typo error
    I should have typed "in my 10 watch GShock collection"
    4 Digitals and 6 Analogs. Sorry for the typo error.

X traindriver Art

There are not a whole lot of Analog Only G's, and they tend to be more expensive ones. That's why I don't have any Analog Only G as of yet, though I do have non-G analogs which need manual date/day adjustments. Manual analogs, as I called them, are more for their appearance rather than their utility. They belong more to collectibles and jewelries, and that's why they still exist in today's technological world. Analog G's, however, are high tech gadgets with multiple motors control for adjustment of the hands and sub-dials. Unfortunately, they tend to be over complicated and still pretty weak for providing the chronograph features. For example, some analog G's have only a 24 Minutes chronograph, when we have 24 hours chronograph widely and cheaply available in digitals. But, I guess people still like them because of their bold styles and looks.

I do have both digital and ana-digi G's and non-G's, as well. I found that, Ana-Digi's no matter how hard they tried to be the best in both world, they will fail. They provide both analog hands and digital display(s), and a lot of times with sacrifice. They should really be treated as a category on its own. Digital G's, as you know them, are pure utilitarian tools.

So I say, if you are curious about how they differ, get 1 of each to try them out. If you want a true utilitarian watch, stick with Digital.
    Last edited by Watch_Geekmaster; February 10th, 2016 at 16:54.

Quote Originally Posted by aalin13 View Post
    I voted for digital only and analogue only. I like digital only for travelling, as I find it easier to read the time precisely to make it to flights and train rides on time. Whereas for daily use in the office I prefer analogue only, better for reading passage of time so I know how long till the boring meetings end...

Never had an ana-digi, been tempted a few times, but they never look right to me when I see them in real life. The digital cut out looks like a disruption to the harmony of an analogue dial
    Wow I am the same way.

As much as I like the way analog G-Shocks look, the digital ones are much more practical. The analog watches can only display one data point at a time and are very slow cycling through functions. The analog-digital ones are only marginally better. The digital watches like the Rangeman offer instant access to the most important functions, whereas this would take at least several seconds to cycle to using an analog.
    Prdrers likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information