Dilemma: keep or flip my GWF-1000RD-4 Burning Red Frog?

Poll: keep or flip?

Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Dilemma: keep or flip my GWF-1000RD-4 Burning Red Frog?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Dilemma: keep or flip my GWF-1000RD-4 Burning Red Frog?

so lately i've been thinking about my BR Frog, which was a grail of mine. read my pros/cons below and help me decide!

---------------------------------------------------

- this is not a recent purchase, i've had this watch at least 6 months. this means buyer's remorse is not a factor.

- i've noticed i don't wear it very much. most likely this is due to the rarity and value, i don't want to mess it up. i don't like this because i am not a person who likes to keep things for their value that i don't use, this kind of drives me nuts because i try not to buy things that will be treated this way.

- i got it for a good price, and would most likely make money on the flip.

- it doesn't fit my wrist exactly right, it's either too tight or too loose, this is true in winter or summer. my 8250 Frog fits me better, while i have heard others say the reverse is true; their 8250 doesnt fit as well as their 1000.

- i like it very much, as i said above it was a grail, a watch i thought i would never get.

- it's the only atomic watch i own.

- it will only get more rare and because of the expense, i doubt i will ever purchase it again, so once it's gone, it's gone.

- the funds from selling will not simply go to buying other watches, i would use it for DJ equipment and other things.

- i just ordered the Blue/Gray ER Frog, and 90% of the time i would rather wear a blue Frog than a red one.

- once the ER arrives, i'll own 2 of the 8250 frogs, and i am not a person who needs 3 Frogman models.

- i would probably feel guilty for selling it, but i also feel guilty for having it now and not wearing it much.

- i am well aware of how "first-world problems" this is, hahaha.

-----------------------------------------------------------

what do you guys think? have you had this dilemma with a grail of yours?

try to vote based on my criteria for me personally, and not based on your own comfort/usage of the 1000.

***mods, in no way am i trying to drum up interest or make a sale, i am simply seeking advice from fellow WIS's on keeping or letting go. if i am violating rules, please let me know***

Re: Dilemma: keep or flip my GWF-1000RD-4 Burning Red Frog?

I'd keep it man. Get some spare resin so you're not worried about messing it up. That's what I did I bought a set of RD and BS resin and change its clothes every now and then and it gives it a new lease of life (think you might already have some BS resin if I remember right)

However if you really aren't going to use it and it's just going to be a shelf queen then it's a tough call because if you sell it as stated you won't get it again which you may regret down the line.

Personally unless you NEED to sell it I'd hold onto it as its a really cool horse to have in the stable and you haven't even got the 8250ER in your hands yet so your opinion may change once you own it, also if you hold into the MIBR and still aren't wearing it often in 6-12 months it'll still be in great condition and you can sell it then for as much as you would now maybe even more as it becomes difficult to find. anyway just my .02c good luck with the decision

Andy

Based on what you wrote. Flip it.
    but you will regret it.

I did flip mine due to financial crisis. After, I realize how much I miss, want to see, want to hold that watch again and bought it back. So far, I have yet change my mind and I doubt I will. It was bitter without it.
    If I didn't have the first experience, I wouldn't know much I love and today how much I cherish to have it. Honest doubt you will make money by flip the Red Frog. I have been checking its 2nd price and it is very reasonable
    $650-$700ish. Price beyond that really is off putting for a lot of G-Shock fans willing to spend price point. So if you are thinking about the extra money, def is not worthy to flip.

Not sure if I give you an advice you are looking for. I love mine, the 2nd time :)
    Last edited by wuyeah; May 28th, 2012 at 09:49.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

good advice from both; i know that i won't buy it again if i flip it, i've never bought a watch twice except as a gift to someone else.

part of me thinks that if i am considering selling it, maybe i've already made the decision and now im just being overly careful? besides, i've already had it for maybe 6 months, i will not have new info about it in 6 more months.

Keep it. It's a great looking Frogman. I think you will sell the blue Frogman later. That one doesn't stand out very much, so you could wear one of your other Gs instead. I have some models that I rarely wear. These are the watches I keep for special occasions or when I feel I want something special (like my GW-203K yesterday, that I am actually still wearing now).

For a Frogman, I won't consider this Burning Red,or the yellow GF-8250, a rare model.They were produced for a long period (maybe a year) and sold in large volumes. Probably like the original MIY Frogman, which after more than 10 years, still can be easily found in good state for reasonable prices. I still see the shop attendant at the Big Camera near Kyoto Central Station getting my yellow GF-8250. After I pointed at the Frog, he gave it to me, so I could see it. When I gestured I wanted it (he didn't speak English, I not Japanese), he put the frog back in the display, opened a large drawer and took out one of the ±20 yellow Frogman lying there. The standard Japanese G-Shock box (yep, the one with the cushion) was taken from another cupboard. The tag removed before I could say anything (not that it would have made a difference). There was a sticker in the small plastic bag, which was transferred on the G-Shock outer-box and that was it. The Burning Red Frogman (actually the whole line) was even for sale at the supermarket near DJ's house in a remote suburb of Tokyo. I must say that this experience have brought "Limited edition" to another level

As for your last remark: Well, I think I know you a little, so I hope I can trust you that the watch will not appear for sale today or tomorrow...

Cheers,

Sjors
    There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Bezoek ook eens het Nederlandstalige WUS forum: Kaliber 2010

Just popping in an image to help people decide.

Name:  gwf-1000rd-4jf.jpg
Views: 724
Size:  121.7 KB
    XxMACCAxX likes this.

Keep it OR give it to me!!!

LUW

Quote Originally Posted by BrendanSilent View Post
    - i've noticed i don't wear it very much.
    That says it all it.
    Sell it.
    Cheers!
    Luciano

Was with you on selling it until you said the money would go to your DJ equipment. Unless you need the money for your business/hobby, save the Frog or trade it for something you'll actually wear.

I say sell it, no point it holding onto a watch you arnt going to wear.. Plus you getting the blue grey one which you will wear more..

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information