Dilemma - to shelf queen it or not
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Dilemma - to shelf queen it or not

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Dilemma - to shelf queen it or not

So this came in today:

http://product-search.casio.jp/wat/g...700GP-1T&n=650

Usually I can decide with ease if a piece will be a shelf queen, or go into rotation. Before I brought this DW8700G, I had intended to wear it. But now that this G Shock 1999 gift set has reached my hands, I am uncertain. I mean, the set looks pristine! The watch itself still has that plastic protective sheet over its dial, and even the box's outer plastic wrap looks untouched! I don't think I can tape back the wrapper as it was if I opened it. Worse I might tear it.

What do you guys think?

(I'll post some photos tomorrow when the lighting is better).
    Feisar likes this.

Re: Dilemma - to shelf queen it or not

Are you an avid watch collector?
    As in, do you plan/have a huge collection of rare/limited/vintage G-Shocks? Or do you collect G-Shocks as investment/hobby?
    If the answer to those questions is 'Yes', then shelf it. Otherwise, put it on your rotation and wear it like how a G-Shock should be worn.
    Last edited by entropy96; June 29th, 2012 at 15:57.
    Current Rotation:
    Tudor Black Bay (on OEM bracelet) | Rado Original Automatic 648.0408.3.161 | Royal Orient WE0011JB | Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch 311.30.42.30.01.005 | Casio G-Shock GWF-1000-1DR

G-Shock collection:
    GW-M5630E-9JR, GA-400-4A, DW-6900SG, GW-5000-1JF, GWF-1000-1DR, GW-200Z-1DR, GW-9200-1, GX-56-1B, G-5600E, G-6900-1, DW-5600MS, G-7302RL (non-functioning)

Wishlist:
    Credor ​Eichi (when pigs fly) | Credor ​Eichi II (when fishes talk) | FP Journe Chronometre Bleu (acquired) | Urban Jurgensen & Sonner Ref. 3 (acquired) | D.Dornbluth & Sohn Cal. 99.5 (acquired) | Moritz Grossmann BENU Rose Gold ​(acquired)

**Sig limit reached...**

LUW

If you're a collector, either shelf it or then only use it very sparingly. If you're just a watch enthusiast (like me), wear it like it was intended for.
    Feisar likes this.
    Cheers!
    Luciano

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

+1 with Entropy and LUW's comments.

You could always find another set, wear that one and shelf your original set, LOL
    G-Shocks
    Origins, Master of Gs, Sky Cockpits, G-Lides, Standards, Specials

G-Shock Collaborations
    Maison Martin Margiela, CLOT, [email protected], ICERC, LRG, Subcrew, Turbokolor, Brooklyn Circus, Eric Haze, Marc Aurele, Lo.wer, Stussy, Bape, Hundreds, Dee & Ricky, Krink, Nigel Sylvester, ALife, Parra, In4Mation, Illest, Wu-Tang, One Piece, Akira, Ultraman

near Manhattan... Status: Changing course, hard about

Near mint in box, for a long discontinued CASIO watch? Definitely not an everyday wear kind of watch, unless you don't care about collectible value. If you're totally enamored with this particular model, I'd follow Feisar's advice and try to locate a user grade version that you can wear regularly. Otherwise, cherish it as an uncommon collectible, either total shelf queen or wear it periodically, and get yourself an every day G-Shock.
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

Re: Dilemma - to shelf queen it or not (-- NOW PIC HEAVY! DW-8700GP-1T --)

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm now leaning towards making this set a shelf queen

Here're some info and photos about the DW-8700GP-1T :

---

This box set was part of the G-Shock 1999 Premium range (offered in 1999 naturally, during spring):
    Name:  DW8700GP2.jpg
Views: 787
Size:  128.2 KB

Each set comes with a DW8700G watch (the G denotes gold dial as opposed to a standard DW8700), two bands (one resin, one nylon), and one G-Shock key chain.

Name:  DW8700GP1.jpg
Views: 845
Size:  102.8 KB

Casio gave each set a random pair of bands, chosen from 10 different colours for the resin bands, and 12 for the nylon ones. So there are well over 100 possible combinations!

My set came with a yellow nylon band and a gray resin band.

Name:  DW8700GP5.jpg
Views: 1208
Size:  110.7 KB

The nylon band is a fairly standard velcro affair. It is black base with yellow outer skin, with a black cloth label embossed with a red G-Shock logo, and the text "G-SHOCK PROTECTION".

The resin band, on the other hand, has interesting details

It is a 2-colour creation - mainly translucent gray band with solid dark gray borders at both ends. The keeper is also solid dark gray. A G-Shock logo is present on one end where it is solid dark gray.

Name:  DW8700GP6.jpg
Views: 886
Size:  96.3 KB

And another bigger G-Shock logo, with the text "G-SHOCK PROTECTION" is on the translucent section:

Name:  DW8700GP21.jpg
Views: 682
Size:  149.5 KB

The band has the code "473 A1 23", and is textured on the inner surface:

Name:  DW8700GP8.jpg
Views: 695
Size:  160.0 KB

Buckle is stamped "CASIO JAPAN":

Name:  DW8700GP7.jpg
Views: 657
Size:  108.3 KB

Now on to the watch module itself!

It is a DW8700G with band adaptors fitted. The G suffix indicates this is a 'gold' coloured dial - this was one of the reasons that drew me to this watch. There are two 'speedometers' above the main dial. They are with green background, and forms a nice contrast with the gold-coloured main dial.

Name:  DW8700GP23.jpg
Views: 698
Size:  113.9 KB

You will notice "20 BAR" and "FOX FIRE" silkscreened on the crystal, which typically means this model is mainly for the Japanese domestic market. The animation is entertaining to watch. The outer 'speedometer' counts every second to 10 seconds, upon which the inner 'speedometer' will advance one segment. Once the inner 'speedometer' is full, the whole display clears and repeats.

The EL light is greenish in colour and when activated shows the characters "1999" in red. Notice the entire dial including the 'speedometers' are the same colour in this lit mode?

Name:  DW8700GP24.jpg
Views: 729
Size:  111.5 KB

There are 4 buttons, at the locations familiar to G-Shock fans. The lower right light button is with a red colored plastic cap, while the other three are gold-plated metal buttons. The attention to such design details is admirable!

Name:  DW9700GP25.jpg
Views: 715
Size:  90.9 KB

The watch uses the 1548 module, and it is made in Korea.

Name:  DW8700GP22.jpg
Views: 647
Size:  103.0 KB

To end this post, I leave you with this shot of the instructions to installing the bands, on the bottom of the box set:

Name:  DW8700GP4.jpg
Views: 642
Size:  143.4 KB

Have a great weekend!
    Dave I, xevious, tse_tse and 3 others like this.

I wear all my watches. Watches are for wearing. To me, buying a watch and not wearing it makes as much sense as buying a toilet and not sh***** in it.

It looks lovely anyway ...bit of a 'Tron' feel to the top part of the display.
    ThomAsio likes this.

I hope my previous post about the box set was informative :)

I've a question regarding the resin band. It seems fairly 'stiff' (compared to other G-Shock resin bands), and seems pretty much set in the doubled-back position that it was boxed initially.

I'm worried if I bend it the other way, it will crack or break. Is there any way to 'soften' it? Or better to leave it as it is?

Yea, I love the colour combination! It brings to my mind: classic G Shock, Tron, Knight Rider amongst other feelings.

Oh no, I'm that old! :D

Who knows, I may just sneak in some wrist time with this watch, on a nylon band!

Quote Originally Posted by G-Shock Absorber View Post
    I wear all my watches. Watches are for wearing. To me, buying a watch and not wearing it makes as much sense as buying a toilet and not sh***** in it.

It looks lovely anyway ...bit of a 'Tron' feel to the top part of the display.
    Last edited by GS_Leng; July 2nd, 2012 at 07:29.

Thank you for sharing the "unboxing" shots. What a cool set!!! The yellow nylon band would look quite smart with the module.

There are a couple of G's that I only wear in doors, rarely or carefully strap on not damage the graphics or paint on the band. These I have two of, one to wear and one in safe keeping. My favorite is the DW-8800AB-8T Lost Dog where I have 4 of LOL! 2 new old stock complete set and 2 in good condition to use as a donor for spare parts.

Wear yours in good health!
    G-Shocks
    Origins, Master of Gs, Sky Cockpits, G-Lides, Standards, Specials

G-Shock Collaborations
    Maison Martin Margiela, CLOT, [email protected], ICERC, LRG, Subcrew, Turbokolor, Brooklyn Circus, Eric Haze, Marc Aurele, Lo.wer, Stussy, Bape, Hundreds, Dee & Ricky, Krink, Nigel Sylvester, ALife, Parra, In4Mation, Illest, Wu-Tang, One Piece, Akira, Ultraman

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information