DIY on crooked module/dial?

Thread: DIY on crooked module/dial?

Question DIY on crooked module/dial?

Hey everyone, I've been surfing for a while now and have started "amassing" G-Shocks for a couple months now (up to 9 now, you know how it goes!). Anyway I've recently acquired a G-741d-1av and the module/dial is noticeably crooked. I'm not usually super picky but I (unfortunately) have a keen eye for detail. Most of the G-Shocks I've seen or owned are off by a hair, but this one is off by atleast 1-2 mm. Most of the dial designs also "cover up" the crookedness but this particular model has white lines on the dial that make the unalignment stand out a lot more. Now has anyone attempted to repair these kinds of things themselves? How did it turn out? Or if anyone has disassembled a G-Shock similar to this (same module perhaps) that can shed some light on the possibility of realigning things? I'm asking because if it's feasible then it would be (potentially) less of a hassle than mailing it back to the seller in another country.

Thanks!

Re: DIY on crooked module/dial?

Welcome to the forum.

I've never worked on that model, but I've fixed the alignment on some of the old classic G-Shocks. I imagine it would vary slightly on each model. It should be no problem if you take your time with it. The main thing to make sure is that the seal keeps its waterproof integrity. You can use a little silicone grease on the gasket. And be careful that you don't strip the screws or lose any small parts. There's usually not much risk, but you might want to start out with a beater on your first operation, if you're not sure about it. I've definitely gotten much better with practice.
    Last edited by Riley; April 5th, 2009 at 00:18.

As above (including the welcome).

The module can usually be 'persuaded' straight with a fingernail or toothpick.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I just straightened the module in an old 5600C today.

One thing to try is to push the buttons on opposite corners to see if that will 'twist' it back. Otherwise, you will likely have to open the watch, and see if you can work it that way.

Good Luck. Oh, and welcome to the forum!
    WhtShadow

Current Collection
    Casio 'non-G' 83QS-41, DW-1500, OAW-100TDJ, PAW-1300T,
    G-Shock GW-M5600, GW-800D, MTG-1000G,
    Bulova Accutron 214, Omega SMP 2232.80, Omega SMP 2255.80, Ball Engineer M Challenger, Traser Auto Pro,
    Seiko SDWB61, SNA139, SKA389, SKA296, Momentum Cobalt V Lite, Orient Mako Blue, Orient Mako USA 2 White,
    Victorinox (Swiss Army) Ground Force 60/60, Base Camp Ti

Just wanted to say welcome! I have no experience with straightening modules, I've been pretty lucky with mine. Oh, and let's see some pics
    Regards,
    Hugh

Current Collection:
    Sinn U1 - Seiko SBBN007 - Hamilton Jazzmaster Traveler GMT - Tissot Seastar 1000
    G-shock DW5025B-7V - G-shock GW700BDJ-2

Outgoing:
    G-shock GW5525A-1 G-shock DW5600R-3JF

Hey guys. First, thanks for the welcome. I think (as with most collectors) that I'm in for the long haul. As for the watch.. Well after hearing back from my seller that all the others he had had this unfortunate misalignment.. I went ahead and carefully opened the watch up last night and was able to shift the module enough to lessen the misalignment to about half a mm. It could only be shifted so far and I didn't think it was worth it to remove the piece of plastic on the module that had these markings on (which was glued on). That would have totally corrected it though. Is this normal for Casio? I have to say I'm slightly disappointed. Thanks for the tips.

As for pics.. I'm not sure if you're refering to my collection or not but there aren't really any real "collector's" watches in my collection as I just buy those that catch my eye and can use practically. I don't think I have a practical use for a Riseman or Frogman but the Frogman's esthetics has caught my attention... Perhaps it's time for more wallet-shocking!
    Last edited by wallet-shock; April 5th, 2009 at 22:14.

Quote Originally Posted by wallet-shock View Post
    Is this normal for Casio? I have to say I'm slightly disappointed.
    Not normal exactly, but not unusual. Many watches, even pretty expensive one, have imperfections if you look hard enough. Module misalignment in Casios is highlighted by the number of straight lines in the displays and casing.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

Thread Information