WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

DLC - desk diving will mark it !

2K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  Mitch100 
#1 ·
Hi folks,
Hope you;re all well. Just thought I;d share some dissapointment I have with this DLC coating hoohaa...I have an MRG-7500 which I absolutely love....wear it to work a lot but I have noticed the DLC coating is rubbing away on two links and the edge of the clasp that make contact with my desk....rest of the watch is completely unmarked. Now I thought only diamond, a sharp instrument or other DLC coating could scratch this stuff....surely not plain friction against wood varnish....
mmmm...
have a good day folks !
d

#2 ·
Sorry to hear about that mate. Maybe you should contact Casio regarding this. A fellow forumer tried scratching his MRG-7500 with silicon carbide tipped screwdriver but to no avail. Silicon Carbide (SiC) is one of the hardest element available. (It has Mohs' value of 9 compared to Diamond's 10). As for Vicker's scale, Diamond has 10,000HVN, whereas DLC is around 4,500HVN. I have to check on SiC's value, though.

I have a G-521BD which has ion plating. I have worn it for more than a year... I have noticed that constant rubbing by the clasp against the links caused the plating to wear off on the links (which has smooth surface) compared to the clasp. However, now the plating has also worn-off on the clasp pivot area. My only explanation for what happened to mine was that since the whole band is plated with ion plating, the smoother surface (in this case, the links) would wear off first due to the geometric shape of the clasp area.

The plating on the outside surface of the band has remained unscathed, though. :-! I have banged my 521BD on wall before, with the paint from the wall sticking onto the Face Protector bars of my 521BD. No chipping yet on the Face Protector bars.:-!

Cheers,
MountainMike

#4 ·
Many thanks for your replies fellas, I'll put your suggestions for another G to the wife....in a few weeks after I pick up the courage ! ;-)
Actually we were discussing what I would like for my 40th birthday and she actually suggested another watch...after thinking about this I honestly don;t think I would want anything other than another MRG...it does its job so well and looks soo cool !

#8 ·
I copy what I wrote in an earlier post about this topic:

"DLC or Diamond Like Carbon is extremely hard. The pure form of it even exceeds natural diamond for scratch resistance by up to 50%. Pure DLC that consists of only sp3 hybridized carbon atoms in long rows is apparently extremely expensive and therefor almost no consumer products containing pure DLC exists. One notable exception is the Zenith Zero G:

An extremely cool watch and that is one of the worlds most expensive as well at half a million dollar.:po|

To make it cheaper and easier to manufacture there exists seven different variations of DLC. They are not pure hybridized carbon but consists also of small trace amounts of other compounds for instance hydrogen, graphitic sp2 carbon and methane and also other metals are used as fillers to cheapen the production cost. This weakens the DLC. Think of it like this "A chain or a wall is never stronger then its weakest link"

If the pure rows of hybridized carbon molecules gets contaminated by individual pockets of other molecules in the chain then those weakens the construction as a whole. Also thickness is of great importance.

DLC share a property with polyethylene plastic that is found in many plastic bags. They both contain hybridized carbon bondings its just that polyethylene also has a lot of hydrogen bonds which weakens the structure significantly and makes it elastic. Pure DLC has no such liquid properties meaning no elasticity, it cant be spread appart or elongated when it breaks its just breaks. The other forms of DLC that contains impurities do have some elasticity meaning it's just like a chewing gum or plastic bag and can be elongated or thinned out if you will. This makes it easier to handle and manufacture but also means that it is possible to scratch it. If the layer of DLC on a product is thin it is possible to use a key and by applying pressure you could stretch the DLC surface appart to the point that the surface underneath gets exposed and it will scratch.

Casio most likely uses the cheapest form of DLC the difference between a MRG and PAW-1500 is most likely just thickness to the layer applied. ist easier to get to the surface underneath on a PAW-1500 that seems to have a thinner layer. But non the less a DLC coating is under all circumstances very cool and will greatly enhance a watch scratch resistance!:rodekaart "

The MRG-7500 does not have as high grade DLC as MRG-8000 that is significantly harder. So if you want the best DLC possible you have to pay some high dollars to get MRG-8000.

#10 ·
very cool thanks joakim. when i win the lotto im gettng one of those zenith zero g's :-! :-!

bump for those like me that missed this the first time.

#11 ·
wow!!! so much knowledge about DLC :roll: never knew those things. i feel like an ignorant baboon o|o|o|o|

also the zero g is making me try to run under a garbage truck, just because i'll never be able to afford that watch.o|o|o|o|

#14 ·
That's kinda wierd. Two weeks ago I just saw a thread about an MRG-7500 worn for one year and a half and there's almost no scratch except inside the buckle.

And I've got an MRG-7100 myself. Have been wearing that for one year with just three tiny scatches that can hardly be seen.
Seems like you've just had a bad luck.

#15 ·
I have had the MRG 7500 for 12 months or so and it has seen quite a lot of use mainly at work.

The only marks on it are on the clasp itself. There are a few very fine lines as if the DLC has cracked in some way. They are hardly noticeable but they are there. I wonder if there is a weakness in the DLC coating process of the clasp compared to the rest of the watch?

There are absolutely no marks anywhere else on the watch including the bracelet. Indeed I remember one time when I crashed it against (every Wis's nightmare) the door jamb. The watch took a big chunk out of the door jamb and I was left with wood and paint embedded in the bezel. When i cleaned it off it was absolutely unmarked.

Mitch

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.