Do All "Men In Yellow" Models Suffer From Discoloration?

Thread: Do All "Men In Yellow" Models Suffer From Discoloration?

Do All "Men In Yellow" Models Suffer From Discoloration?

From what I've seen, the MIY models seem to turn slightly orange over time. It seems like it only happens to the ones that are worn on a regular basis, as the ones I've seen that have been stored look much yellower and less orange. So do they all do this? Is there any way to prevent it or reverse it?

(Also, anybody know where I can pick up a new bezel and strap for a MIY Frogman?)

Re: Do All "Men In Yellow" Models Suffer From Discoloration?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonH
    From what I've seen, the MIY models seem to turn slightly orange over time. It seems like it only happens to the ones that are worn on a regular basis, as the ones I've seen that have been stored look much yellower and less orange. So do they all do this? Is there any way to prevent it or reverse it?

(Also, anybody know where I can pick up a new bezel and strap for a MIY Frogman?)
    Hi Jason,

They will turn a slight orange with or without wearing...

There is no way to prevent or reverse it.

Lastly the MIY bands and bezel is very expensive if you can find one now. You may want to buy a new frogman instead or just get any band and bezel that is currently available.

cheers~
    SKy

Cool Re: Do All "Men In Yellow" Models Suffer From Discoloration?

Quote Originally Posted by skyhook
    Hi Jason,

They will turn a slight orange with or without wearing...

There is no way to prevent or reverse it.

Lastly the MIY bands and bezel is very expensive if you can find one now. You may want to buy a new frogman instead or just get any band and bezel that is currently available.

cheers~
    SKy
    With or without wearing?

That cant be true!

If so then Ozzie would not be able to sell "NOS" MIY Frogmans and Raysmans that stil look fresh!

I think it is the acid in our sweat combined with the UV form the sunlight that causes the discoloration and ofcours colors from clothes, newspaper etc

If kept unworn and in a dark and dry place I think they will last quite long and still look new!.

But basically a yellow G is very fun to have and wear but unfortunatelly if you only like the new bright look then it is short fun. Dont expect it to look new more then a year or 2 at most!.

To keep a daily wearer as fresh as possible for as long as possible then rinse it in water every day and dont expose it to the sun to much!. Avoid colored surfaces of clothes, ink prints etc with it as it will suck up colors like a cameleon!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Perhaps this is a bit silly...

I used to worry about this with mechanical watches. What if I bang it, what if I scratch it. I stopped worrying, and just used reasonable caution while wearing. With G-Shocks, there are 3 choices\:

1) Buy them, wear them, and enjoy them.
    2) Buy them, don't wear them, and enjoy knowing you have them https://forums.watchuseek.com/images/smilies/banging.gif
    3) By two, keep one stored forever in a sealed bubble, and enjoy the other :):)

There is a nice angle to having a yellow turn a bit orange, or a white turn a bit while. It's the natural process of aging. Do we all look at young as we did 20 years ago, or even 5 years ago? As long as we and our G-Shocks age gracefully.

Eric

Thanks for the advice all. I think my MIY Froggie looks nice, definitely used but not abused (I just bought it recently, but the previous owner must have worn it regularly.)

One other quick question: Where can I get a replacement strap keeper? Mine is very brittle and after a day of wearing actually cracked and came apart. Fortunately, the stock one is grey so I don't have to track down some yellow keeper to make it look "stock". Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonH
    Thanks for the advice all. I think my MIY Froggie looks nice, definitely used but not abused (I just bought it recently, but the previous owner must have worn it regularly.)

One other quick question: Where can I get a replacement strap keeper? Mine is very brittle and after a day of wearing actually cracked and came apart. Fortunately, the stock one is grey so I don't have to track down some yellow keeper to make it look "stock". Any ideas?
    Jason - sorry I can't help here. If it's not a rare model, perhaps you can contact Casio if you're in US. Otherwise, it may have to be through auctions, or through fine sites like Ozzie's!!

Eric

Thread Information