Do any non-solar Gs have power-saving mode?

Thread: Do any non-solar Gs have power-saving mode?

Do any non-solar Gs have power-saving mode?

If not, wouldn't it be good if they did?

Re: Do any non-solar Gs have power-saving mode?

I assume it takes a solar cell to detect that there's no light.

Manually switching off time display on a non-solar model probably doesn't save much power.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    Manually switching off time display on a non-solar model probably doesn't save much power.
    Why not?

Situation is: I have a 10 year 7100 for 3rd world travel and surfing/climbing weekends on the basis it cost so little I don't mind scratches/theft/loss. So I use it for 1/6th of the year. If I could switch it right off for the other 5/6 that makes it a 30 year watch assuming a saving of 50% by turning off the display. Worth having I would have thought.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by englishperson View Post
    Why not?
    Well, I have a quartz analogue watch with a battery that lasts ten years. If providing mechanical power doesn't take much juice, a digital display can't take much either. The power drains in a digital watch, as I understand it, are chimes, alarms, and use of the backlight (and atomic time-keeping if present). If these are turned off, the life of the battery can exceed the period stated by Casio in the manual. The gaskets would need to be replaced several times in a thirty year period, so a longer-lasting battery wouldn't make the watch maintenance-free. With the cost of batteries being fairly low, the savings could probably be counted in pennies.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

I think it could be achieved using a photoelectric sensor, but I agree with tribe that the benefits would be negligible, especially as you'd be paying for the extra technology (which also might take up space on the display). Apparently it's important not to let solar batteries drain, so it's more useful on solar watches that might be stored for long periods without light, as their storage capacity is significantly shorter than a standard batteries life.
    "The future is something which everyone reaches at the rate of sixty minutes an hour, whatever he does, whoever he is." C S Lewis

Its not the saving of money that is the important factor but the avoidance of boringly trivial tasks. I have just changed my Land Rover for a small diesel car which does 600 miles to a tank rather than 240. The financial saving is great but not as good as the reduction of time spent taking and paying for fuel. Same with changing watch batteries. As for gaskets I would think appropriate storage conditions would extend their life. My approach would be to run the watch till battery or gasket went, then bin it.

Why not?

Situation is: I have a 10 year 7100 for 3rd world travel and surfing/climbing weekends on the basis it cost so little I don't mind scratches/theft/loss. So I use it for 1/6th of the year. If I could switch it right off for the other 5/6 that makes it a 30 year watch assuming a saving of 50% by turning off the display. Worth having I would have thought.
    The lithium battery would deplete on it's own within 15-20 years anyway, even outside the watch.

My approach would be to run the watch till battery or gasket went, then bin it.
    How about run it till battery or gasket go, then mail it to me and I'll pay the postage?
    "The future is something which everyone reaches at the rate of sixty minutes an hour, whatever he does, whoever he is." C S Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Lexxorcist View Post
    How about run it till battery or gasket go, then mail it to me and I'll pay the postage?
    Sure.

Its on a strict no light, no alarm diet so you should PM me your address in 2022 or thereabouts

Going a little off topic, but the Seiko auto relay kinetics (analogs) have a power save, where the hands stop moving but the inner circuits keep track of time.

Thread Information