Do Casio sell G-Shock "seconds" or rejects? (There is an S stamped in the back.)
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Do Casio sell G-Shock "seconds" or rejects? (There is an S stamped in the back.)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Do Casio sell G-Shock "seconds" or rejects? (There is an S stamped in the back.)

I recently bought an MTG-1500 on ebay which is new but the seller didn't have a box for it and described it as a "sample". The watch has arrived and has a large "S" stamped in the stainless steel case back. Is the S a sign of a marketing sample or the this a second grade watch? (The only fault I can see is that the module alignment is not 100% perfect, it is very slightly out.)

Here's a pic of the back:

Luke

Re: Do Casio sell G-Shock "seconds" or rejects? (There is an S stamped in the back.)

It's a Sample, not a second. As it was explained to me the watches with the 'S' stamped on the back were marked that way so that the company didn't have to pay taxes when importing them. Then they were used by the marketing group, for trade shows, etc. Don't know how accurate this is but it's what an ex employee of Casio told me. Don't see them too often, that's for sure.

Re: Do Casio sell G-Shock "seconds" or rejects? (There is an S stamped in the back.)

Well, this is new information for all of us I think. I had never heard of samples.

Curious that a sample had a misaligned module.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

G-Shock & Sales Moderator DragonJade's Avatar

Well, if it's a sample then it might be worth more money in the future as it's rare. Don't worry too much about the misalignment. Quite a few models are.

Get your WUS badge now from the WUS store.
    >> Support WUS by clicking through to our sponsors sites. <<
    >> Buying from a sponsor? Tell them WUS sent you. <<

Casiophile,
    do you know when and why they use these; are they for dealers , reviewers or shows? Is it only before the model is actually released?

If it is regular practice for Casio it seems odd that more people here haven't encountered it before. Has no one else got any G-Shocks like this?

Luke

A while back, maybe a year or so, a seller on ebay offered 10-15 Casios (several G's) that had the S. He's the guy who told me they were samples. The watches were all from around the mid 90's.
    I had seen the S before a few times but didn't know what it meant. I've never seen it on a vintage Casio, say before 1990. Anyway, I had thought to buy one from this guy but they all sold higher than I thought they warranted.
    They're out there, just not too common.

Is there any other way to tell whether one of these is a true sample? It seems like it would be easy enough for someone to fake them with just a simple stamp.
    Simon

WTB - More wrists

Quote Originally Posted by sl8763 View Post
    Is there any other way to tell whether one of these is a true sample? It seems like it would be easy enough for someone to fake them with just a simple stamp.
    The watch does not have a serial number marked on case back. I think all "normal" g-shocks have a small serial number stamped or engraved on the back.

Luke

Very few G-Shocks have a serial number.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    Very few G-Shocks have a serial number.
    My mistake. (I was just being lazy and looked at my Oceanus and Protrek for reference, both of which do have serial numbers!)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information