Do some atomic modules pick up a signal better than others?
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Do some atomic modules pick up a signal better than others?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Do some atomic modules pick up a signal better than others?

Last night, I put my Rangeman 9400-1 and GW-5000-1JF on my desk facing in the same (wrong) direction. Fort Collins, Colorado is east of my home in northern California and I put both watches down facing west, just to see what would happen. The Rangeman picked up a signal but the GW-5000-1JF did not. I'll test it again over the next few nights in different positions.

Have you found much variation in how well these (or other) models are able to find a signal? I realize it will vary for each of us, depending on location, weather, and other factors.

Thanks.
    John
    Macteabird likes this.

Re: Do some atomic modules pick up a signal better than others?

For me, my 5610, 5600 and Riseman sync the best. My Rangeman next, then my Frogman. My Frogman is very picky about the place and position in the house. It will sync reliably in one place, but not in the others. My other 4 watches will sync almost anywhere in the house.

I'm in Marin County.
    CK89101 likes this.
    If you don't think every day is a good day, just try missing one. ~Cavett Robert

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Many people here have reported that their steel-cased Frogmen and GW-5000 don't synch as easily as some of their other models, but just the other day another member reported that his GW-5000 synched BETTER than two of his plastic-cased models.

It really seems to be a "luck of the draw" thing -- all of my 15 solar/atomics synch every night in my Colorado-facing bedroom, but across the house in the partially earth-shielded split-level rec room, it seems more random. Two of one model that I own synch down there, but a third one won't. With another model, one will synch most of the time but two won't. With a third model both would some of the time but not most of the time. The different results with the same model suggest that it might come down to a 0.1mm difference in antenna length between versions of the same watch!

There are really too many variables to consider like atmospheric conditions, distance from the transmitter, and whether the watch is worn or on a windowsill or just on a dresser. This entire forum probably doesn't collectively own enough watches to do any statistically significant experiments on "which models receive the best or worst."

My GPW-1000s sync much more frequently from the multi-band 6 signal than any of my other Gs - by a long shot. I believe this is due to a larger-than-normal multi-band 6 antenna inside the ginormous GPW case, though that is only speculation on my part. But, my GPWs sync more often than not, while syncing with my other Gs and Protreks is more hit or miss. My GW-5000 syncs far less frequently than my other Gs.
    JohnM likes this.

I sleep with my rangeman on religiously and it will sync once every couple days. I live in Pennsylvania in a valley with no cell or xm radio service so I think that's pretty impressive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Jaykwish View Post
    I sleep with my rangeman on religiously and it will sync once every couple days. I live in Pennsylvania in a valley with no cell or xm radio service so I think that's pretty impressive.

I am more amazed that there is any area in Pennsylvania without cell service in 2016 than I am about your Rangeman syncing.... Not even AT&T or Verizon?? I thought Verizon's coverage was pretty good everywhere.

p.s. the Bible says nothing about needing to sleep while wearing a Rangeman.

Quote Originally Posted by Time4Playnow View Post
    I am more amazed that there is any area in Pennsylvania without cell service in 2016 than I am about your Rangeman syncing.... Not even AT&T or Verizon?? I thought Verizon's coverage was pretty good everywhere.

p.s. the Bible says nothing about needing to sleep while wearing a Rangeman.
    No service at all, I have AT&T and my roommate has Verizon. My car loses xm signal as soon as I pull in the driveway. And I think there is a thou shalt wear thy G-shock at all times somewhere in the red words....

Quote Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
    For me, my 5610, 5600 and Riseman sync the best. My Rangeman next, then my Frogman. My Frogman is very picky about the place and position in the house. It will sync reliably in one place, but not in the others. My other 4 watches will sync almost anywhere in the house.

I'm in Marin County.
    Pretty much the same for me.

ccm123 likes this.

For what it's worth, probably nothing, but I checked mine and found the following from last night. All three were in a watch box on the dresser in my bedroom, and all three showed different received time; my 5610 showed 12:04, the 2310 1:05 and the 6900 1:04.
    Tom

Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more, than the traveling hands of time.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information