Do you champion a certain model?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By LUW

Thread: Do you champion a certain model?

Do you champion a certain model?

Do you find yourself championing a specific model or version gshock? I ask because i find myself doing this recently at any time someone lets me. Upon reflection i feel a little silly about it, and wonder if anyone else fonds themselves doing it as well? Either a popular or unpopular watch/version doesn't matter as i think it shows how much you enjoy it and just sharing that with others is one of the things that makes this forum work!
    I have bought two watches so far because people felt the need to show what they liked about them and THEN i saw it: the gdf100bb and the ga201.
    I'll start with myself: i find myself bringing up the ga150 (black with white/grey marks) any place it seems appropriate. Why? I find it an extremely soothing watch on the eyes and to wear and comfortable and feel it is a gshock that is underrated in general.
    What watch do you champion and why do feel that way? Have a go!
    Yes, I am OCD. What gave it away?

LUW

Re: Do you champion a certain model?

I live and breath the credo that there's always a right tool for the right job, so no.
    Noobicon likes this.
    Cheers!
    Luciano

To me the case body for the 9000 and 9010 Mudman is the perfect G-Shock shape. Even though the new 9300 Mudman is undoubtedly a great watch, I'll never have the same love for it that I do for my 9010, simply because Casio did away with the case design (presumably due to a need for more space in order to accommodate a bigger more functional module).

I remember the first time I saw a 9010 on the news, on a soldier deployed in Afghanistan, it just immediately looked perfectly military, strong, and menacing on his wrist. It became my favourite then, and remains so to this day.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Im my case I have to differentiate between all-time favourite and current favourite.
    My top 5 are:
    G-8000
    G-7710
    G-7900
    GW-2500B
    GX-56
    My current favourites:
    G-5500
    GW-3500B

So I guess I don't really favour one over all others.

Cheers, Sedi

I have always really liked my DW-9100 'Original' Riseman's. They don't seem to figure too prominently on the forum though :(. They need to be seen more IMHO. Cheers -Ronbo

near Manhattan... Status: Changing course, hard about

^ The black version of that older Riseman looks like something pseudo-Gothic, something Batman might wear when lurking about the city at night.

While I'm with Luciano about the right tool for the right job, I do have some favorites that I consider being a nice "package deal"... meaning, what you get with the watch overall for the (going) price is very nice.

• G-7800: It's one of those models that is "just around the corner" from being a classic. CASIO went into an interesting direction with this non-solar G-Shock, but unfortunately had an abrupt change of heart. Either someone in management wanted to get away from squares, or the LCD design couldn't be translated to a solar version. It has one of the best modules outside of "Master of G" that they ever made. It's just so unusual and can be dressed up or down. Any moderately sized G-Shock collection should have one.
    • GL-110: Functionally, it's quite plain. But what it has it does well. Where it really shines is in the visual appearance coupled with the stainless steel screw caseback. It's also nice to have a vintage model that also has an EL backlight (good bright one, too). No G-Shock collection should be without a screw caseback. If you don't want to shell out the $$ for a Frogman, this one is a great candidate (or the G-2000).
    • G-2000: This is a little cleaner and slightly smaller looking screw caseback watch, compared to the GL-110. Next to a DW-5600, this really says "G-Shock II" for me (over the DW-5500). They're very difficult to find in the USA, but there's still plenty of used inventory floating about in Japan for decent prices. I expect that in a few years, some variants of this model will become very difficult to find.
    • GL-7500: While this lacks the moon/sun rise/set time data that was available in its G-Lide predecessors, it still has a decent tide graph and moon phase indicator. But, it has a vibration alarm, which is a terrific feature to have in a G-Shock. So many G-Shock models have anemic beep tones that make it difficult or impossible to hear in noisy environments. Very few G-Shock models came with vibration alarms AND looked good. This was one of them (the other was the GW-400). Plus, it had a twin model in the G-7500/7510 line that is still being made (and bezel/band is compatible for spare parts).

While I own other G-Shock models that I enjoy, these four are the ones I think slip under the radar most of the time and hence I like to champion.
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

I have to say, Sedi, i've been looking at g8000's and it is all your fault! :beer:
    Yes, I am OCD. What gave it away?

The watch model that I would "Champion" , meaning singing praises about it all day long , showing it to friends, wearing it everyday , would be the G1400/GW4000 cockpit series. Ones that I will buy silently and add it to my collection when the price is right, wear it sparingly but admiring it occasionally, would be the GA110 series. The G1400 are for practical reasons where I can read the time without pushing the light button in the dark, while the GA110 are just plain comical and colorful that if I come across some of the colorful ones at retail (non inflated) prices, I would just grab them. They are not the best at telling time but they are sure cool.
    Last edited by kahyeec; June 5th, 2012 at 13:34.

Thread Information