Do you flip or hoard? - Page 2
Like Tree286Likes

Thread: Do you flip or hoard?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Re: Do you flip or hoard?

Quote Originally Posted by Time4Playnow View Post
    Must we put a 'label' on things??

I don't consider myself either one of those, but....I DO have an awful lot of Gs.
    What about collecting G-Shocks holds your interest?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dxnnis likes this.

I rarely sell but when I do it's not to make a profit, it's because I bought a watch that I genuinely thought I would like but ended up not liking it.

with that said, I've only ever sold one G-Shock...actually the same watch TWICE. The Mudmaster...it was too big so I sold it (actually almost gave it away). Missed it and bought it again, just to sell it a second time. LOL

I have a sizable amount of Gs but I enjoy every single one of them - and I love cycling through all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by DCsportsFreak View Post
    Unlike some watch brands with 2-3 models that look very similar to one another, there are dozens upon dozens of Gshock models. Some looking completely different than another. Variety helps keep things interesting.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Okay, well for years into my collecting of watches, I definitely fell into the hoarder category. Never sold a watch. Then at some point I guess I felt that I just had too many, so I began selling. And eventually, began to sell to fund new purchases. Last year, I bought a LOT of watches, (Gs and others) and they were all funded with watch sales. (I've sold something like 120-130 watches over the last 2 years)

I generally only sell watches that I rarely wear. Right now in looking at my G collection, I could immediately let go of about 12-15 - but don't have the time to list them for sale right now.

Eventually I want to have a smaller collection of watches that I wear more regularly. I have been on a bit of a buying spree lately, but the selling spree will happen later this year.

Gs hold my interest because they are my kind of watches -- tough, cool, fun, accurate, "Grab & go," and (mostly) solar. I'm drawn to the different styles and colors. I own many other brands, but if I had to get rid of all brands except one, Casio would be at the top of my list. (though I'd have to keep a Seiko or 5).
    Casio G-shock
    MRG-G1000B-1ADR, MTG-B1000TF-1AJR, GWR-B1000X-1A, GMW-B5000TFC-1, GMW-B5000D-1, GMW-B5000GD-9, GMW-B5000G-1, GWF-D1000MB-3JF, GPR-B1000-1, GPR-B1000-1B, GWG-1000-1A, GW-9400-1, GW-9400DCJ-1, GW-9400BTJ-8, GW-9401KJ-3JR, GW-5000-1JF, GW-B5600FB-4JR, GW-B5600HR-1, GXW-56BB-1JF, GW-3000M-4A, DW-5035D-1B, DW-5600BB (x2), DW-5600E (x2), DW-5600EG-9V, DW-5600CL-1, GW-M5610TR-7JF, DW-5600MS, GLS-5600CL-1, GLS-5600CL-3, DW-6930, GA-100MM-8A, G100BB-1A, GLS-6900-9JF, G-8900SC, GD-350-1B, GD-400-9CS, DW-6900MS, GD-120CM-4, GD-X6900CM-5, GLS-8900CM-2, GW-002KA.
    Casio Protrek/Pathfinder
    PAG-240B-2, PRW-2500R-1, PRW-3100FC-1JF, PRX-8000T-7AJF.
    Casio AE-1200 (x2)
    Casio W217H-1A
    MDV106-1A
    MTD1080-7A

Quote Originally Posted by Fergfour View Post
    Unlike some watch brands with 2-3 models that look very similar to one another, there are dozens upon dozens of Gshock models. Some looking completely different than another. Variety helps keep things interesting.
    Totally agree!

Dxnnis likes this.

I used to have the hoarder mentality, but once my collection surpassed 30, it became untenable to keep everything. Being able to let go of pieces also helps me to hone my collection down to the ones that I truly love and not just "like".
    "When the shadow of the sash appeared in the curtains it was between seven and eight o'clock and then I was in time again, hearing the watch. It was Grandfather's and when Father gave it to me he said I give you the mausoleum of all hope and desire.... I give it to you not that you may remember time, but that you might forget it now and then for a moment and not spend all your breath trying to conquer it."
    --William Faulkner, The Sound and the Fury (1929)

I'm exactly the same as T4P and Kubr1ck - built a collection over many years, rarely selling anything, then (after becoming a G fan, actually, so only over the last 18 months) started selling my inventory to fund new purchases.

I have a spreadsheet to track sales vs purchases and the resulting amount available in my "future purchases fund" for the year.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by nkwatchy View Post
    I'm exactly the same as T4P and Kubr1ck - built a collection over many years, rarely selling anything, then (after becoming a G fan, actually, so only over the last 18 months) started selling my inventory to fund new purchases.

I have a spreadsheet to track sales vs purchases and the resulting amount available in my "future purchases fund" for the year.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
    I also maintain a spreadsheet in order to track how much I’m spending on this crazy addiction!

I also maintain a spreadsheet in order to track how much I’m spending on this crazy addiction!

This is, not good for your mental health, or physical health if the wife finds it!

Sent from Capt Kirk's Communicator
    Call Sign - Wit
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    Quote Originally Posted by kubr1ck View Post
    the benevolent caretaker of a halfway house for recovering G-Shocks.
    Quote Originally Posted by kubr1ck View Post
    And the grand rehabilitator strikes again.

I've sold 42 watches over the past three years, all here on WUS. I've also given away 8 and retired a couple that weren't worth fixing. My collection currently stands at 16, five of them G-Shocks/Pro-Treks. I'm constantly looking to refine my collection, not to add to it. For example, if I see a green diver watch that is more desirable than what I currently have (Nodus Avalon), then I'll sell the Nodus and acquire the new one. One-in/one-out is how I'm trying to proceed with this hobby. The highest number of watches that I had at one time was 33, and I didn't like being there as so many of the pieces weren't getting any wrist time at all, no matter how fond I was of them. I realized that a smaller, more carefully selected number of watches covering various categories suited me best.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information