Do you flip or hoard? - Page 7
Like Tree286Likes

Thread: Do you flip or hoard?

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Re: Do you flip or hoard?

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wegmann View Post
    After 16 years of collecting Pulsar LED (Time Computer) watches, I have come to realize that I have a fondness for certain models. I have sold quite a few stainless steel and goldfilled ones, but never anything in solid gold...here is the result. Still, as hoarding goes, one could do worse...

Attachment 14223951
    Lol that's called investing for your future lol...I have a friend that buys anything solid gold and hordes it...he buys it cheaper than what the weight of gold is on the market...he's been doing it for about 20 years last I checked he had over 5 million U.S. just sitting around if he were to melt it all. So he can technically retire this instance and he's only 39.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    DCsportsFreak and Dxnnis like this.
    TAG Heuer Collector.

Reformed hoarder. If I haven't worn something in over a year, it's probably time to get rid of it. That being said, better to sell than to toss. I've whittled down my collection quite a bit over the past two years...I'd estimate a 75% reduction.

I'm not sure it's a binary choice. Why and how we collect is probably far more complicated and variable than that. I don't think there is a single, natural progression.

But to answer the question-- I started early on flipping quite a few watches. But in recent years, my collection has become more stable and I sell (or buy) watches more and more infrequently.
    Stowa 1938 | Speedy Pro 311 | Omega SMPc | 66 Omega SM | 65 Omega Cosmic | 54 Omega SM | 72 Speedy Mark II | 69 Tissot T.12 | 70 Tissot Super T.12 | 70 Seiko 6139 | 71 Seiko Yachtman | 77 Seiko Pogue | 70s Seiko Bullhead | 69 Bulova SK | Ventus Mori | Helm Khuraburi

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

After 16 years of collecting Pulsar LED (Time Computer) watches, I have come to realize that I have a fondness for certain models. I have sold quite a few stainless steel and goldfilled ones, but never anything in solid gold...here is the result. Still, as hoarding goes, one could do worse...

Attachment 14223951
    I am in awe. That is an amazing hoard.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DCsportsFreak likes this.

at first i was like...

then i was like...

now im like...
    Dxnnis and DCsportsFreak like this.
    the aritst formerly known as soulbridgemedia
    Whoisdisdointhissynthe tictypeofalphabetapsychedelicfunkin

IG: soulbridge_media
    IG: thegcollective

Attachment 14223951
    How many of the same type is that?
    DCsportsFreak likes this.
    Dennis
    G-Shocks
    GW-M5610-1ER.......GW-M5610-1BJF
    GW-7900-1ER..........GA-201-1AER
    GX-56BB-1ER...........
    DW-5600HRGRZ-1ER
    GD-100-1AER
    Citizen promaster AJ0100-02E
    + Various other makes

I’ve sold watches to fund others, but that’s mostly based on growing as a collector and understanding what I want my collection to include. That being said, shame on my for selling by Tag blue Aquaracer on eBay. It was my first mechanical watch and I got way too caught up with people trashing the brand, but that watch was very much me. Even my wife has mentioned missing that watch as she remembers me wearing it all the time when we first met. The silver lining is that I sold it to a veteran who bought it as his first mechanical watch.

Why does it seem like it's more socially acceptable to hoard G-shocks than any other watch. I have 8 (name a brand) watches... that's excessive! I have 8 G-shocks... nice going! I think there's just a lot of love out there for G-shocks
    Dxnnis and Steelerswit like this.

Quote Originally Posted by G-times View Post
    Why does it seem like it's more socially acceptable to hoard G-shocks than any other watch. I have 8 (name a brand) watches... that's excessive! I have 8 G-shocks... nice going! I think there's just a lot of love out there for G-shocks
    its because theyre reasonably priced (for the most part) and there are a plethora of models and colours to choose from. other brands only have a handful of models and they all look the same (yep, watchist hate speech right there :p )

in the words of my AD "gshock buyers are the most savviest and cost conscious because they buy one every month or two instead of one every couple years. the ones that have been doing it the longest are the hardest ones to sway a purchase from". pretty sure that was a dig at me for being a perpetual tyre kicker haha
    Dxnnis likes this.
    the aritst formerly known as soulbridgemedia
    Whoisdisdointhissynthe tictypeofalphabetapsychedelicfunkin

IG: soulbridge_media
    IG: thegcollective

Hoarder, guilty as charged.
    Dxnnis likes this.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information