Do you think Casio is releasing too many different watches?
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Do you think Casio is releasing too many different watches?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Do you think Casio is releasing too many different watches?

It seems like everything that comes out is some sort of limited edition, or part of a special series. There are so many now that it is hard to keep track of everything.

This can be considered good in the sense that there is more to choose from, so there is something for everyone out there. Whatever your taste or style, there will be a G-shock for you.

But it can be considered bad in the sense that if everything is a special edition, then nothing is truly "special" anymore. (There are of course exceptions like the 200 or 300 limited worldwide releases of premium models like the recent titanium frogs).

But from a collector's standpoint, it can be very confusing and it takes a serious dedication to the brand to sort everything out and know the differences between models. Very, very few people will take the time to do the research and really know the brand's past and present, which means there will be fewer serious collectors made. On top of that, with the massive number of watches being produced, there will be an imbalance of supply and demand, prices will fall dramatically, no one will remember older less famous models, and it will be possible to scoop up previously coveted models for a small fraction of their current prices in a few years. Basically, the exact same thing that happened with Beanie Babies in the early 2000's. There are very few select models that remain valuable, but the vast majority were forgotten and worthless except for their intrinsic value (as toys for kids).

Watches are definitely more functional than bags of beans, but it seems like Casio is killing their own collector culture in favor of making as much money this year as they possibly can. If they continue cranking out limited editions at this rate, they WILL kill their collector culture and the watches will go back to selling for $100 instead of $400 or $500 retail. Reissues of some watches like the Man Box 110 and Mastermind Frogman put doubt into people's minds as to whether something "limited" is truly limited.

So, what's the problem? All this seems like a great deal for a G-shock fan, who can then get the watches they always wanted for cheap prices. In a way, the consumer wins, because the watches will revert to their normal values. Scalpers will no longer exist because with so many models to choose from, no single model will be worthy of their time. It seems like a great thing for everyone except the scalpers and resellers, but it will also cheapen the brand. Casio will become like Swatch of the late 1980's (although there are still a few collectors of Swatch watches around)

So I can see both sides of this issue... but I wonder what you all think. Is Casio making too many limited editions, or is it a great thing that should be encouraged?
    Ottovonn, fwupow, Shocker and 1 others like this.

Re: Do you think Casio is releasing too many different watches?

I'm not too concerned about collector value but I am disenchanted with the lack of effort CASIO is putting into it.

Invicta does the same thing. They say it's "Reserve" and limited but if it proves popular, they make a minor change and release it again with a different Model number but essentially the same watch. It's all a case of whoring after money and it cheapens the brand.

Compared to what CASIO G-Shock could do and what they're actually doing, it's disappointing. I mean, they have the capability to do much more but most of the limited models involve slapping on a new paint scheme and shipping it out the door. It's like we are the ones imagining & inventing new ideas for improved functions/features while they just seem to unimaginatively try to churn out as many new colorways as possible. Unfortunately, they don't have the same goals as us. Their goals are to hit certain price-points and keep selling X number of watches per month and keep their production lines and workers busy while we want to see more creativity and complexity which will increase the price of the watch and probably result in lower sales.

At least CASIO isn't as bad as TIMEX. TIMEX does the same thing. Many of their models are total crap, with very low customer review scores. They don't spend any time at all trying to improve a particular model until it's truly good. They just keep churning out new models and maybe, if you're lucky, the one you buy will keep working like new for 30 days and then develop problems but manage to limp it's way thru an entire year before dying completely.

I guess we can just keep watching and hoping to see truly special G-Shocks come out.
    MNash87 likes this.
    I almost never wear any watch other than a G-Shock. My collection is listed here-->http://watchshock.com/collection/1471/

Other watches: Invicta Sub-Aqua Venom 5733 & Coalition Forces 0225, Suunto Vector, Traser Mil-G Type 6 P6600 Celebration Edition, Luminox 3059.SAR and a few cheap Timex & Armitron

as they are trying to cash in their popularity, I think it's normal - and understandable,

but it's wrong move, together with the way they sell their parts and provide services .... but nothing lasts forever anyway

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I want Casio to make as much money on G-Shocks as it can. I want it to read market demand as accurately as possible, so it maximizes profits.

The more money Casio makes, the more likelihood that G-Shocks will continue to be produced.

Getting the balance right between Limited Editions and regular models requires close analysis, and I trust Casio is doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by G-fob View Post
    as they are trying to cash in their popularity, I think it's normal - and understandable,

but it's wrong move, together with the way they sell their parts and provide services .... but nothing lasts forever anyway
    /Forrest

After last year I am happy to see how FEW limited editions an collabs are on the horizon!

Right now the Men in Navy is on the run, but it isn't small by any kind. Likewise the camo run is full tilt worldwide. Granted they won't make the camos forever but it isn't like they will be difficult to get for now. The only collab on the horizon (short of Baselworld of course) is the Maharishi camo. And that is through July in Japan! Last year it felt like EVERYTHING was limited and important and you had to make decisions about whether or not you were getting something vs what the cost may be in the future.

Not sure how they are viewed, but 3 ICERCS have been announced as well. Collab? Limited Edition? With Japan release in June.

I also like the fact that Casio is revamping the line. Not every watch will be a hit (gulfman), but that is the case anyway. Going through the Master of G's is useful to bring the tech up to their current level (v3 sensors).

Also revamping the XL line which I am excited about. Understand this line is a fashion watch that is G-Shock tough so it should be changing up moving around while I would expect the Master of G's to be slower moving.

In short it feels like a lot of the regular production is being revamped and will be regularly available so we can put some purchases off or not at all without any consequences. There a couple that maybe limited to a degree, but nothing like 1,000 pieces or less (again, until the crazy Baselworld special edition is announced and that should be just one watch) like the ones we got hit with last year regularly.

To me this year is getting more "fun", while last year was definitely more rigorous.

sent with aloha
    Last edited by Chrisek; March 8th, 2014 at 19:29.
    Yes, I am OCD. What gave it away?

I collect Hot Wheels, Matchbox and G-Shocks for fun. All relatively cheap toys. (Profit is something I will deal with later, depending on market conditions at the time, if I ever care to sell.)

Both Mattel and Casio are trying to maximize revenues by making more product for consumers to spend money on. They are flooding the market with different models and colors. That's a good thing to a buyer/collector. More stuff at low prices, retail or less.

Since I only buy what I like, more choices mean more fun.

I suspect I will go for the 2 Rangeman (Navy & LSE), Navy Mudman and probably a Gulfmaster, color to be determined later. That's about $2k worth of G-Shocks Casio wouldn't have sold otherwise to one collector.
    Last edited by yankeexpress; March 8th, 2014 at 20:25.
    Chrisek and Reloko like this.
    Today would be a good day to delete your Facebook account, Here is why:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f73/fa...l#post48047643

10 reasons to dump facebook:

https://www.komando.com/tips/527072/...cebook-in-2019

My problem is not the amount of LE's but the amount of Gshock's in general. For some, the amount of watches can be seen as a turn off. I feels like everyday I see a G I have never seen before. It's cool if you're looking to collect or, just want variety but, if you just want a watch, it can raise questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My problem isn't that they're releasing too many watches, it's just that the variation in technology or advancement of technology like fwupow states isn't up to their potential. I'm not a collector so it doesn't really bother me. However, while I can't say with certainty, at some point it feels like Casio G-Shocks became somewhat more fashion oriented or recognized as part of fashion, particularly given that they are probably the only affordable watch brand that puts out a vibrant colors with great functionality and performance.

With that in mind, what they're doing currently makes sense, and what they release quarterly are to me akin to the clothing brands updating their lines or keeping common basics.

But thinking about it now, even as a collector it's still okay, I think, because with Casio you'll never know with certainty if the specific color scheme for a specific model will ever come back in production. Once the run is made it's usually done. Only that Hyper Colors (?) return last late summer caught everyone off guard. Yet, out of the long history of Casio G-Shocks, absent the basics, how often has that happened?
    soulbridgemedia and le buzz like this.

I wish they would take the money they are making and reinvest into R&D for more functionality of watches rather than buying new colors of resin pellets to melt into bezels and straps.

Give me more functionality/features other than 5 alarms, 24hr CDT and STW, and world time across their product line; not just a few models (i.e., Rangeman, Frogman, Riseman).
    littleroger1 and le buzz like this.
    Casio/ Citizen/ G-Shock/ Pro Trek/ Seiko

Quote Originally Posted by kung-fusion View Post
    It seems like everything that comes out is some sort of limited edition, or part of a special series. There are so many now that it is hard to keep track of everything.

This can be considered good in the sense that there is more to choose from, so there is something for everyone out there. Whatever your taste or style, there will be a G-shock for you.

But it can be considered bad in the sense that if everything is a special edition, then nothing is truly "special" anymore. (There are of course exceptions like the 200 or 300 limited worldwide releases of premium models like the recent titanium frogs).

But from a collector's standpoint, it can be very confusing and it takes a serious dedication to the brand to sort everything out and know the differences between models. Very, very few people will take the time to do the research and really know the brand's past and present, which means there will be fewer serious collectors made. On top of that, with the massive number of watches being produced, there will be an imbalance of supply and demand, prices will fall dramatically, no one will remember older less famous models, and it will be possible to scoop up previously coveted models for a small fraction of their current prices in a few years. Basically, the exact same thing that happened with Beanie Babies in the early 2000's. There are very few select models that remain valuable, but the vast majority were forgotten and worthless except for their intrinsic value (as toys for kids).

Watches are definitely more functional than bags of beans, but it seems like Casio is killing their own collector culture in favor of making as much money this year as they possibly can. If they continue cranking out limited editions at this rate, they WILL kill their collector culture and the watches will go back to selling for $100 instead of $400 or $500 retail. Reissues of some watches like the Man Box 110 and Mastermind Frogman put doubt into people's minds as to whether something "limited" is truly limited.

So, what's the problem? All this seems like a great deal for a G-shock fan, who can then get the watches they always wanted for cheap prices. In a way, the consumer wins, because the watches will revert to their normal values. Scalpers will no longer exist because with so many models to choose from, no single model will be worthy of their time. It seems like a great thing for everyone except the scalpers and resellers, but it will also cheapen the brand. Casio will become like Swatch of the late 1980's (although there are still a few collectors of Swatch watches around)

So I can see both sides of this issue... but I wonder what you all think. Is Casio making too many limited editions, or is it a great thing that should be encouraged?
    collectors are a very small percent of the market (and of course the minority is usually the most vocal) but it all comes down to the popularity of Gs in the last 3 years or so. theyve really blown up with alot of cross over appeal so it would be stupid of casio not to capitalise on it. even if they stumble on a model here and there, its a drop in the ocean, they fine tune as they go.

i really doubt it will have any effect on collectors, i think what you might be referring to is collectors want to know that what theyre getting is a "proper" collector piece and not some garden variety junk, like ewww you know? but only other collectors care, everyone else doesnt even blink an eye. personally im weary of those folks that only have LEs.

even with -all- those LEs (personally i dont think there were that many), compared to the number of other models released id say the ratio is very similar.
    as said, it can only be a good thing, with more variety its less likely youll rock up to an event, club or party and be wearing the same watch as someone else. never actually happened to me but if it did, id be surprised... and then id have a new best friend! :D
    the other question is what defines a "serious collector"? is it someone that knows the history of the company and has been doing it for years or is it that guy that bought 60 Gs in 6 months or someone that only collects LE's and high end models?

Quote Originally Posted by Rocat View Post
    I wish they would take the money they are making and reinvest into R&D for more functionality of watches rather than buying new colors of resin pellets to melt into bezels and straps.

Give me more functionality/features other than 5 alarms, 24hr CDT and STW, and world time across their product line; not just a few models (i.e., Rangeman, Frogman, Riseman).
    having every model with every function just makes no sense from a business model point of view, not to mention how much a "basic" model will end up cost, but if you do want the functions without the price then theres plenty of non Gs out there.

id say they -are- reinvesting and making new things, the bluetooth models are a good example. sure theyre not reinventing the wheel but they also cant have the "why dont we have flying cars yet??" mentality of some of their customers.
    the tech needs to be trickle feed down thru their range and profits and product life cycles maximised along the way.
    honda first used vtec in their F1 cars, it was many years before it filtered down to the entry level passenger vehicles and that was tech that benefited all users. youre talking about functions that the average joe has no need or care for.
    yankeexpress likes this.
    One struck by lightning is not the same as by a baseball or cabbage.

IG: soulbridge_media
    IG: thegcollective

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information