Do you think Casio's going to bring back the Duplex Display?
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Do you think Casio's going to bring back the Duplex Display?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Do you think Casio's going to bring back the Duplex Display?

As we can see, Casio is favoring LEDs instead of EL for some of their newer watches. The same trend applies to the Duplex Display as well, as they are favoring displays without duplex. So far none of the (as far as I know) V3 triple sensor watches use duplex, including the PRG270, PRW3000 and GW9400. While duplex is just a gimmick for non-sensor G-shocks, it's quite a useful tool for an ABC watch, especially for the Compass. It's an excellent representation of the compass rose, very close to using a needle/hand for point at directions and much better than using tick marks on the outer edge of the display. Really like to see it's come back with the latest V3 sensor. Or am I just dreaming?
    Last edited by watch_geek2014; December 22nd, 2014 at 21:47.

Re: Do you think Casio's going to bring back the Duplex Display?

Wake up you are dreaming. Seriously though, I do not believe they would bring that tech back. But I can be wrong.
    watch_geek2014 likes this.
    Casio/ Citizen/ G-Shock/ Pro Trek/ Seiko

Thanks Rocat, I think I'll need more coffee. LOL

Let's use this thread also to discuss one's preference on compass rose presentation in a compass watch. Here are all the compass rose presentations I've seen so far in different watches. If you've seen others, feel free to add a pic or two in this thread, thanks.

Duplex Display. This is best presentation I like so far. PRG260 in the picture, but lots of older ProTreks use the same technology.
    Name:  Duplex.jpg
Views: 477
Size:  70.9 KB

Use second hand to point at North. This is used on many Analog compass watches, including the PRW5100 in the picture, the newest PRW6000, few other older analog ProTreks, GWN1000, GWA1100, GA1000, SGW500 and some Timex Expedition counterparts.
    Name:  second hand.jpg
Views: 474
Size:  80.1 KB

Tick marks on outer edge. Shown below 3 slightly different presentations: PRG270, Timex Expedition T42761, and SGW100. So far the SGW100 is the easiest to see, but due to the big pointer, it couldn't indicate finer increments.
    Name:  tick marks.jpg
Views: 473
Size:  52.4 KB
    Name:  tick marks2.jpg
Views: 476
Size:  30.0 KB
    Name:  tick marks3.jpg
Views: 476
Size:  73.7 KB

Sub-display dedicated for compass. Shown below is the GW9400 using a sub dial for presenting the compass rose. Few other G's use similar presentation, including the GW9300. It's a bit small to see, but otherwise an effective way to show direction.
    Name:  subdisplay.jpg
Views: 477
Size:  109.7 KB

So which one is your favorite presentation for compass?
    Last edited by watch_geek2014; December 22nd, 2014 at 23:44. Reason: Adding few more watch models with analog compass

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I don't have any of these, but from your pictures my favorite is the GW-9400/GW-9300 etc. with the sub-display. It has its own space, so I know exactly where to look when I want to see the compass. I'm used to reading and writing tiny print, so the small size doesn't bother me. And the lack of precision due to small size doesn't bother me on a watch. If I want a precise compass, I'll carry a precise compass. I see this as more of a quick general reference for convenience.

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

I hope not. The biggest disadvantage is that a Duplex lowers the contrast significantly, to me the little advantage is in no relation to the overall disadvantage. I would hope they bring back the el-backlight but I don't think so. LED's are cheaper, (supossedly)tougher, they live forever and require only a fraction of the power BUT I like the good old backlight much better nonetheless. Now, I don't have anything per se against LED illumination, done the right way it is absolutely as good as an el, but Casio has not made it right so far.

cheers
    We are 12.6 %

Quote Originally Posted by cal..45 View Post
    I hope not. The biggest disadvantage is that a Duplex lowers the contrast significantly, to me the little advantage is in no relation to the overall disadvantage. I would hope they bring back the el-backlight but I don't think so. LED's are cheaper, (supossedly)tougher, they live forever and require only a fraction of the power BUT I like the good old backlight much better nonetheless. Now, I don't have anything per se against LED illumination, done the right way it is absolutely as good as an el, but Casio has not made it right so far.

cheers
    I agree and it is the reason I need multiple Rangeman watches negative for dark and positive for daylight. :(

I have the PRG-270 and the SGW-100. I prefer the large pointer of the SGW-100
    Casio/ Citizen/ G-Shock/ Pro Trek/ Seiko

I use a G-Shock or other watch compass as only an emergency back up.

For my compass needs I always use a good quality non-electronic compass. :)
    1839cc likes this.

I have a variant of the Timex T42761 for a few years and a SGW100 for few months now. Both great watches and accurate compasses. The Timex however needs to make sure it's perfectly level for accurate compass reading, hence it has a bubble level indicator. Unfortunately the fluid inside the level indicator somehow dried out only months after I got the watch. Both watches have many similarities, including how they need to be rotated 2 turns in order to calibrate the compass. But the SGW100 is definitely a better product for functions, for clarity of display, and for ruggedness. I think it's easily as tough as a G-shock. You know it's a good product when it's been around for quite a few years, and they're still selling it.
    Last edited by watch_geek2014; December 23rd, 2014 at 01:41.

i have a few protreks and a rangeman and i dont really see the fuss over a minimally used function (in relation to time telling). you get the jist of the direction (a pretty good one at that) and thats all you need/should expect.
    same goes for backlight, does it make it easier to see in the dark than without it? yes it does, job done.
    hiker and sidecross like this.
    the aritst formerly known as soulbridgemedia
    Whoisdisdointhissynthe tictypeofalphabetapsychedelicfunkin

IG: soulbridge_media
    IG: thegcollective

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information