Do you think today's watches will become collectors' items?

Thread: Do you think today's watches will become collectors' items?

Do you think today's watches will become collectors' items?

I was looking at a site the other day, on which a person is selling vintage, new-in-box, Casios and Seikos, etc. These watches were originally fairly inexpensive, I'd imagine, but are now going for over $200. This value is obviously a perceived one, and mostly due to the fact that these watches represent the beginnings of the digital era.

We are now, however, quite in the midst of the digital era---or at least solidly into its beginnings---and I wonder if our current watches (mudmen, pathfinders, etc.) will garner the interest the old novelties of the 70s and 80s currently are (frogmen excepted???). I have no interest in stocking up on new-in-box mudmen; rather, I simply am curious what you all think. Is the new GWM-5600 going to be one of those? The Mudman, Gulfman? What would make any of the current models interesting for this?
    Labitur occulte fallitque volatilis aetas, et nihil est annis velocius. Ovid Met. 10.519-20.

Re: Do you think today's watches will become collectors' items?

All of them will be collector's items to enthusiasts, but outside that narrow group, the collectible models will be those that were innovatory or those that were aesthetically spot-on.

The 5600 was innovatory, for sure. Arguably, it was aesthetically spot-on too, although not in the way that would be appreciated by most watch enthusiasts.

The early solar and solar/atomic models were innovatory too, so the Raysman probably qualifies. The earliest solar/atomics were the GW-300 and GW-500, which otherwise don't attract many supporters. However, they have their place.

I'm not sure that multiband will be seen as that innovatory. It's a logical development rather than a 'first'.

Some will no doubt vote for 'coolness', but a collector's item needs to be more than cool.

The Frogman might get in, simply because there's nothing like it.

Beyond that, I'm not sure. To answer your specific question, the GW-M5600, Mudman and Gulfman won't qualify. They are just variants, not trend-setters.
    Last edited by tribe125; August 20th, 2008 at 00:22.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

I am going to agree with Tribe on a number of points. I don't think the latest versions of Mudman or Gulfman, and most likely Riseman and the widely released 5600 models will get in to that status due to numbers released. Frogman are always limited issues to the best of my knowledge therefore harder to find which will most likely make them collectibles. Obviously the Anniversary models and Limited Editions like Men in Orange will earn there places, but the Pathfinders and protreks, and most widely released models will probably be easier to find so not a big value boost to those. I am curious though if the Negative version of the GW-M5600 with Composite Bracelet will fit into the Collector category as even though it was not an intentional limited edition, it seems to have had a limited run with quite a bit of demand
    Apple Watch Space Black Series 5 w/ LTE
    Casio G-Shock DW-5600C Speed
    Casio G-Shock GMW-B5000GD-1JF
    Casio G-Shock GWF-1000-1DR Frogman

Casio G-Shock GW-7900B-1 Rescue
    Citizen ATO810-55X
    Omega SeaMaster Pro Ceramic 212.30.41.20.01.003
    Omega Seamaster Pro Bond Quartz 2221.80
    Omega Speedmaster Co Axial Moon Watch 311.33.44.51.01.002

Seiko SKA625
    Seiko Velatura SNAA93
    Seiko V701

Check out my video reviews at:
    www.youtube.com/dougfnj
    Twitter: @DougFNJ

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

It is likely impossible to know what things will be particularl collectible or valuable to collectors.

Experience shows, and a quick perusal of eBay confirms, that almost anything is collected by at least a small group of people. Anything you can think of is craved and collected by at least a small group of enthusiasts: old Bakelite; manual typewriters; Pez dispensers; vintage fountain pens, etc.

It is hard to know what within these collector subcultures will prove popular. Often, it is not the item that is wildly popular in its day. Tastes change over time and the "failures" of their day often become the most sought after rarities of tomorrow (particularly because the "failures" were often taken out of production relatively quickly).

Basically the way I see it is thus; Casio mass produce most of their watches for the world market, some are limited editions and so are more prone to be bought by collectors and enthusiasts but the mass produced ones are usually worn and damaged by everyday people living everyday lives, some smashed beyond repair others worn out. So in years (many) to come my new in box G's will prolly be worth more than the original retail price, this may not benefit me so much but possibly my son
    Real men don't need instructions.

Today's watches are already collectors' items. Not only here, take a look all over WUS.

Quote Originally Posted by vintage View Post
    today's watches are already collectors' items. Not only here, take a look all over wus.
    x2!!
    You only live once.....and some don't even do that!!

Sure, given enough time everything becomes collectible.

Thread Information