WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Does anyone grease their lug holes on their Casio G-shocks?

5K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  nuvostokguy 
#1 ·
I want to know if anyone has ever used synthetic grease on their lug holes on Casio G-shocks.
I've seen images that over a long period of time the friction between the springbar and the lug hole will eat away at the lug hole.
This happens with both metal cases and especially resin cases.
I would think that greasing up the lug holes will reduce friction between the springbar and the resin lug hole and increase the useful lifespan of your Casio G-shock watch.
Am I correct to assume this or will using synthetic grease on the resin lug holes of my Casio G-shock make it worse?

#5 ·
I do I use a non harmful petroleum product silicone lube.....I use it on my spring bars (To prevent them from rusting and seizing), I use for the caseback sealing gasket (To prevent shrinkage, drying, cracking, and to help improve water resistance), I also use a light coat on the lug holes to help with the friction. Haven't had any problems and been holding up for years.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

#6 ·
I also use silicone lube to lubricate the gasket, but I've never even thought about lubricating the springbars to prevent them from rusting and seizing.
How do you lubricate the springbars to prevent them from rusting and seizing? Do you dump the entire springbar in lube?

#16 ·
but why??? :-s

of all the thousands on Gs on here, ive never heard of anyone saying, "oh noes! my springbar broke out of my strap cos it wasnt lubed enough!" if anything, the lube will make the springbar slip out easier. also lube isnt going to stop the bar "denting" the edge around the hole.

also greasing the springbars? again, why? thats not going to prolong the life of the watch. sure in 10 years after some heavy use it could make it a tad easier ie. take a couple seconds less to get the bar out but thats only if you wear it alot but judging from this babying im guessing you'll sooner sheild it from a stiff breeze :p
fair warning, youre only a couple steps away from being -that- guy that has a screen protector on his G along with cut up bits trying to protect the corners of the bezel :roll: :rodekaart hahaha (yes, true story, theres a pic on here from someone doing just that)

#18 ·
but why??? :-s

of all the thousands on Gs on here, ive never heard of anyone saying, "oh noes! my springbar broke out of my strap cos it wasnt lubed enough!" if anything, the lube will make the springbar slip out easier. also lube isnt going to stop the bar "denting" the edge around the hole.

also greasing the springbars? again, why? thats not going to prolong the life of the watch. sure in 10 years after some heavy use it could make it a tad easier ie. take a couple seconds less to get the bar out but thats only if you wear it alot but judging from this babying im guessing you'll sooner sheild it from a stiff breeze :p
fair warning, youre only a couple steps away from being -that- guy that has a screen protector on his G along with cut up bits trying to protect the corners of the bezel :roll: :rodekaart hahaha (yes, true story, theres a pic on here from someone doing just that)
I'm not trying to "baby" the watch.
The goal is to lubricate the lug holes to prevent friction and prolong the useful life of the watch, since some G-shocks models usually become discontinued in a couple of years.

#21 ·
I think a much more common problem is springbars coming out of their holes when you DON'T want them too, and lube or grease would only make this worse. I've never, ever heard of a lug hole wearing out on any watch, no matter how much it was worn, with the exception that frequent strap changes on a resin case could conceivably wear out the shoulder on the inside of the lug and make the springbar come out more easily.

#22 ·
Life is too short to worry about stuff like lubing G-Shock spring bar holes. Or even spring bars. I knew a guy who was a Stage 10 Clean Freak. He worried about so many things I thought his head was gonna explode. But the weirdest thing was, he thought he was normal. "Isn't everyone concerned about that" would be his reply when I'd say, relax man. No, no one does but you, trust me.

I'm in the corner that says "why lube the spring bar holes? I want them to stay in there, not enable them to slide out" so , no, no way would I ever lube those holes. The O ring under the case, yeah, but that''s just common sense, not stressing about a non-existent problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.