Does anyone know how to replace the crystal on the Casio GWM850-1 watch?
Like Tree8Likes
  • 6 Post By manofsteelx21x
  • 1 Post By manofsteelx21x
  • 1 Post By manofsteelx21x

Thread: Does anyone know how to replace the crystal on the Casio GWM850-1 watch?

Does anyone know how to replace the crystal on the Casio GWM850-1 watch?

Hi,
    I need to replace the crystal on my Casio GWM850-1 G-shock watch.
    When I disassembled the watch, I took out the movement and what was left inside the case is what I think is the "solar plate" that has the labels (such as Multi Band 6) and the crystal.
    The "solar plate" seems to be fixed in place (my speculation), I'm afraid if I try to pry it out it will break apart.
    So If anyone has tried to replace the GWM850's crystal before and have been successful, please let me know the procedure I need to take to replace the crystal (and while we are at it, which Casio part # is the crystal).

Re: Does anyone know how to replace the crystal on the Casio GWM850-1 watch?

Since it appears that no one has attempted this, I bought a used GWM850 watch and took it apart to learn how to do it myself.
    For anyone that wants to know the procedure here it is:

1) First take out the rubber outer shell, the watch bands, and then the movement from the watch.
    2) When you remove the movement you will be left with this (see the following image). The solar panel, etc, can only be removed from the front after you remove the crystal.

Name:  01984.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  350.6 KB

3) I used a crystal press to remove the crystal (and solar panel) by pushing it out from the inside.

Name:  01986.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  1.50 MB

4) This is what I'm left with after pushing it out with the crystal press.

Name:  01987.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  462.5 KB

5) Here are the items that were pushed out along with the crystal. They are in layers. Assuming if the watch was face up, from left to right, they are ordered from the bottom layer to the top layer. Also note that "item 1" and "item 2" contain tabs on the top and bottom portions. They connect to the indents that are found in the watch case.

Name:  01995.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  290.1 KB

Name:  01996.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  292.2 KB

6) Note also that "item 4" is the crystal with o-ring attached to it. They can be separated.

Name:  02001.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  1.72 MB

7) The installation procedure for a new crystal/o-ring is to follow steps 1-3, then place items 1-4 in the case from the front, from bottom layer to top layer. I think it is better for you to place the o-ring in the watch case and then press on the new crystal lightly until it is evenly in, then apply more pressure (use a crystal press if necessary). When the crystal is installed it will NOT be flushed with the case, it will protrude slightly above the case surface--this is normal. Do not go crazy trying to make the crystal flush with the case.

For anyone that is interested the dimensions of the crystal itself (without the o-ring), using my caliper it is 29.2mm in diameter and 2.2mm in thickness.
    The caliper that I used has an accuracy of ±0.2mm.
    Last edited by manofsteelx21x; October 18th, 2017 at 06:30.
    GaryK30, lvt, taxico and 3 others like this.

Interesting I would think for 200m WR the crystal should be at least 3-4mm thick??

Here: gw-5000B-1jf, 16600, 30-st-135.003 | Gone: gw-5035a-1jf,
    sbbn025, 16660, 16600 (2), 14060, 16610, 16570 polar, 16570

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteelx21x View Post
    Since it appears that no one has attempted this, I bought a used GWM850 watch and took it apart to learn how to do it myself.
    For anyone that wants to know the procedure here it is:

1) First take out the rubber outer shell, the watch bands, and then the movement from the watch.
    2) When you remove the movement you will be left with this (see the following image). The solar panel, etc, can only be removed from the front after you remove the crystal.

Name:  01984.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  350.6 KB

3) I used a crystal press to remove the crystal (and solar panel) by pushing it out from the inside.

Name:  01986.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  1.50 MB

4) This is what I'm left with after pushing it out with the crystal press.

Name:  01987.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  462.5 KB

5) Here are the items that were pushed out along with the crystal. They are in layers. Assuming if the watch was face up, from left to right, they are ordered from the bottom layer to the top layer. Also note that "item 1" and "item 2" contain tabs on the top and bottom portions. They connect to the indents that are found in the watch case.

Name:  01995.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  290.1 KB

Name:  01996.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  292.2 KB

6) Note also that "item 4" is the crystal with o-ring attached to it. They can be separated.

Name:  02001.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  1.72 MB

7) The installation procedure for a new crystal/o-ring is to follow steps 1-3, then place items 1-4 in the case from the front, from bottom layer to top layer. I think it is better for you to place the o-ring in the watch case and then press on the new crystal lightly until it is evenly in, then apply more pressure (use a crystal press if necessary). When the crystal is installed it will NOT be flushed with the case, it will protrude slightly above the case surface--this is normal. Do not go crazy trying to make the crystal flush with the case.

For anyone that is interested the dimensions of the crystal itself (without the o-ring), using my caliper it is 29.2mm in diameter and 2.2mm in thickness.
    The caliper that I used has an accuracy of ±0.2mm.

This is brilliant! Thank you for taking the trouble to post with details.

Not to go off topic, but,do you know if every crystal on square G's can actually separate from the case and is the glass held against the top of the case using a rubber o-ring seal?

Why I ask is I have heard some people mention when you buy some parts from pacparts the crystal actually comes with the case (minus the screwback) and some come on there own? Cheers.

While I don't over service, I don't like to neglect my watches and would like to do a decade long service and fully service any 'new' vintage G's I may acquire for peace of mind and good measure
    Last edited by Desert; October 18th, 2017 at 08:29.
    'I think therefore I am' (Rene Descartes`, 1644)
    Think he meant, 'You can do anything if you put your mind to it!'

I delve into the intricacies of horology, but the laymen
    just wills me to enunciate more clearly? I conclude in knowing he
    is genetically resistant, and that is why I come here!

@Desert I'm not sure if some crystals come with the case, you need to email them (they are more than welcome to answer your questions).
    In general, I'm not sure if all Casio's watch crystals are held in place in the same manner.
    I saw a video in which a person took out the crystal from a squared Casio G-shock (I think it was the DW-5600) and it appeared to be glued on.
    Perhaps we can start a new thread dedicated to finding out how to remove/replace some G-shocks's crystals and how to do it through trial and error on used G-shocks.
    Desert likes this.

@Desert I'm not sure if some crystals come with the case, you need to email them (they are more than welcome to answer your questions).
    In general, I'm not sure if all Casio's watch crystals are held in place in the same manner.
    I saw a video in which a person took out the crystal from a squared Casio G-shock (I think it was the DW-5600) and it appeared to be glued on.
    Perhaps we can start a new thread dedicated to finding out how to remove/replace some G-shocks's crystals and how to do it through trial and error on used G-shocks.

I understand. Sure, thanks! Good idea

I liked the crystal 'pop-out tool you used'- amazing - didnt know that existed! I think I have been too timid about servicing my G's and its time I did them myself, especially given some of the stories I have heard about shoddy servicing work, scratched cases etc.

The most vulnerable part of most G'shocks, as a far as keeping your watch looking new (or pimping) I believe is the crystal.

I have also thought about placing cell foam screen film over my crystal to help protect it, if it will work, as some crystals I cant get anymore. I'm also not sure if the fascia writing comes with them as one piece. I wont wear my 5600C classic until I do this for fear of marking the crystal.

Anyway, good work!
    Last edited by Desert; October 18th, 2017 at 09:01.

@Desert The crystal 'pop-out tool' is called a "watch crystal press", bought mine on Esslinger.com
    I also share your sentiments about the crystal being the most vulnerable part of a watch.
    With G-shocks, you can replace the rubber outer-shell and bezels with new ones easily (assuming new parts are available), but the crystal seems to be the part that will require more care/instruction/tools.
    As for protecting your existing crystal on your G-shock 5600C, I think you can use the JaysandKays bullbar.
    If it is the same/close to the dimensions as the DW-5600, then the bullbar will fit.

Name:  s-l1600.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  122.4 KB

Name:  s-l1600_2.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  112.2 KB

You can currently find it on eBay as item number 271592795039 for $12.
    Last edited by manofsteelx21x; October 18th, 2017 at 09:18.
    Desert likes this.

This

@Desert The crystal 'pop-out tool' is called a "watch crystal press", bought mine on Esslinger.com
    I also share your sentiments about the crystal being the most vulnerable part of a watch.
    With G-shocks, you can replace the rubber outer-shell and bezels with new ones easily (assuming new parts are available), but the crystal seems to be the part that will require more care/instruction/tools.
    As for protecting your existing crystal on your G-shock 5600C, I think you can use the JaysandKays bullbar.
    If it is the same/close to the dimensions as the DW-5600, then the bullbar will fit.

Name:  s-l1600.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  122.4 KB

Name:  s-l1600_2.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  112.2 KB

You can currently find it on eBay as item number 271592795039 for $12.

Here: gw-5000B-1jf, 16600, 30-st-135.003 | Gone: gw-5035a-1jf,
    sbbn025, 16660, 16600 (2), 14060, 16610, 16570 polar, 16570

@manofsteelx21x; Appreciate it buddy, really. Personally I'm just not a fan of the 'bullbars'. Crystal info was great though

Thread Information