Does the Screwed Smart Crown hurt "non" screwed Smart Crown sales?

Poll: Threaded SMART CROWN vs CAM Locked SMART C

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Time4Playnow

Thread: Does the Screwed Smart Crown hurt "non" screwed Smart Crown sales?

The advent GWG 1000 with its impervious and supposed stronger config "Smart Crown" which threads hurt the older cam lock Smart Crowns sales markets both new and secondary?
    Nylon NATION Co-Conspirator
    Lug Hole Loyalist
    Chamfer Line Inspector

Re: Does the Screwed Smart Crown hurt "non" screwed Smart Crown sales?

I don't think threaded crown is necessarily better though, I find it really difficult to unthread the crown without taking the watch off, whereas the cam type crown can be easily opened without taking the watch off

Not for me.

I dislike screwdown crowns, they are a point of failure in my eyes with the risk of stripped threads. Also they are awkward to use on the wrist.

They don't really add to WR and their main point is to prevent you using it under water.

Mitch

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

so u choose a watch based on its crown rather than its features?

I don't have a problem with either.

I think damage occurs when crown is left unlocked, whether threaded or not.

Moral: Lock your crown.

Quote Originally Posted by Everdying View Post
    so u choose a watch based on its crown rather than its features?
    When the way the crown is locked makes the use of those features exceedingly cumbersome. Yes, of course!

ps: does the protrek prw-6000 have a screw-down or cam-lock crown?

Quote Originally Posted by sdog View Post
    When the way the crown is locked makes the use of those features exceedingly cumbersome. Yes, of course!

ps: does the protrek prw-6000 have a screw-down or cam-lock crown?
    Cam-lock. The only 'smart crown' Casio that I've seen with an actual threaded screw-down crown is the Mudmaster. I've heard that the latest MRG has that also, I think.

Just got the Mudmaster, and one of my initial thoughts was that the screw-down crown was so much slower than the cam-lock crown, I wasn't sure how I'd like that given the 'smart crown' features. But for me at least, I will use the smart crown to change settings so rarely that it really won't be much of a bother to me. Now if I was one to use the countdown timer all the time and constantly changed the countdown interval, that might be different. (or the alarms) But I don't do that, so no problem. For the altimeter it could be an issue too, but I don't use that all that much. For barometer and compass (and stopwatch), no smart crown use is normally necessary.

The cam-lock type crown does make using the smart crown MUCH faster. However, it's a tradeoff. I kind of like having the actual screw-down crown for greater resistance to mud....and any accidental openings of the crown that could occur, however unlikely they might be. From what I've experienced with my smart crown Gs, some of the cam-lock smart crowns are much easier to turn and open than others. In other words, some could be prone to accidentally opening (like the ones on my GW-A1100s for example), while the one on my latest Gulfmaster is very solid and would be highly unlikely to open accidentally. (actually, I've owned 4 Gulfmasters now and my recollection is that those smart crowns were all unlikely to open accidentally based on how strong the cam-lock "lock" felt) It also depends how well the crown is protected too, and it's very well protected on the Gulfie, less so on some of the other models -- like the PRW-6000 for example.

As with most things, it depends what's more important to you. Greater speed of unlocking the crown to use the smart crown features, or the greater security (actual or perceived) provided by the screw-down crown. I'll choose the screw-down crown most of the time, if given the option. (unless it's the Gulfmaster! hehehe)
    domoon likes this.

To sorta bring this post back to point...

I was inferring that with the mudmasters appearance with a "screwed" crown that it would be more desirable over the cam locks, especially in that it cannot become compromised simply by "rolling" it over the wrist or brushing against some other surface...

I would have thought that the more "secure" a crown was - that it would create a noticeable depression to cam locks sales...

In all honesty, I really liked the GPW 1000 1B, except for the crown, which I was always weary of in that it just did not have the configuration secure enough so that inadvertent openings wouldn't occur...

The mere "verbiage" in CASIOs manual states it is "vulnerable"...

To me, this is straying from what Gs are all about...

Thanks,
    Randy

Electronic post generated by human via apple interface...
    Last edited by STEELINOX; August 22nd, 2015 at 21:43.
    Nylon NATION Co-Conspirator
    Lug Hole Loyalist
    Chamfer Line Inspector

Thread Information