Doing a bit of (reluctant) purging
Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By solar g-shocker
  • 1 Post By Cognac0113

Thread: Doing a bit of (reluctant) purging

Doing a bit of (reluctant) purging

Unfortunately I have to sell a few watches from my already small collection. I'm going on vacation overseas this December and it's not cheap so selling a few of my watches is one way to earn some money.

Even though I've only have my very small collection for a little over a year, I'm finding it REALLY hard to let go even the ones I'm not that attached to. I've been sitting around for hours contemplating on what will and will not go.

Anyone else ever have this dilemma?
    Last edited by musik14; August 17th, 2013 at 08:13.

lvt

Re: Doing a bit of (reluctant) purging

Quote Originally Posted by musik14 View Post
    Anyone else ever have this dilemma?

Yes, I don't collect watches but I have bought and sold a couple of them.
    Ball - Casio / G-shock - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Seiko - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

Yes. I definitely struggle with it.

sent with aloha
    Yes, I am OCD. What gave it away?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Are these really valuable watches or just regular Gs?

I think I'd have to be pretty desperate to sell off my Gs as they are not hugely valuable really. I don't have any of the really fancy/limited models though.

If you are really attached to them is there another way maybe?
    55 watches. 30 Casios. Appalling bank balance!

I've got a few hard to find valuable ones but they're not going anywhere. They happen to be my favorites and I wear them quite often. The rest can go except maybe 1 or 2 pieces I'm going back and forth on.

Maybe if the watches are that important, you should say no to the vacation and keep the watches. I guess it depends on which is more valuable to you, assuming there aren't other ways to get the cash you need to pay for the vacation.

I had an Oris Diver Date that I absolutely loved, but I had to take a temporary 20% pay cut, and I found it difficult to pay the bills. So I had to sell it. It was also difficult to make my wife sacrifice things while I got to keep my valuable luxury item. Not just because she didn't like it, but it also felt wrong to me.

So, the decision may be easier for you if you see your decision in light of what you have to give up to keep the watches.
    Current: Certina DS First Chronograph, Squale 20 Atmos Classic, Casio Edifice EF527, G-Shock GW-6900-1, Rado, Invicta, Maurice LaCroix
    Past: Victorinox Chrono Classic 1/100 241618, Seiko SBDC001, SKX779, Deep Blue Ocean Diver 500, G-Shock GA-1000FC, AWG-101, Citizen BM8475-26e, Oris TT1 Divers Date, TAG Heuer Pilot

I'm visiting family back home so it's not really just a vacation. The plane ticket is already paid for, the money from the watches will be more like pocket money which I'm going to need quite a bit of.

I have other things I could sell, but the watches are the ones I know are going to go for the most money and easiest to sell. I have enough of them, plus the ones I'm thinking of selling are the ones I wear the least amount of time. It's just those few pieces that I'm on the fence about that makes it hard.

Put the ones you're thinking of selling in a drawer or out of site. Go through your watch rotation without them and then see if you really miss those.

Once I start thinking about selling a watch, I put it away and out of site. If I really miss it, it's back. If not, off to the sales corner!

Neil
    jbg7474, Chrisek and isezumi like this.

It would be pretty difficult for me, and how difficult it'll be for me, it depends on how difficult it was to obtain the watch and how difficult it will be if I ever wanna buy it again. So far, I have 2 I'm comtemplating to let go, but haven't actually done it yet. Goodluck to you OP! Hope you make the best decisions! =)
    solar g-shocker likes this.

Regardless of which ones you decide to part with, as soon as you make the decision you won't be able to stop thinking about those watches. Only thing to do is arrange them in order of most to least favored & then start selling from the bottom up. There will always be cool watches to buy.

Cheers,
    kev
    I just think that things should work the way I expect them to.
    Conroe, Texas

Thread Information