Domed or flat?
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Domed or flat?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Domed or flat?

I really love my Wavecepter 430 (shares the most wrist time with my 5610) but I'm thinking about swapping the crystal.
    To be fair it's still very good and I was happy to live with the tiny visible scratch that was present when I bought it, although looking at it with a loupe you'd think Torvill and Dean had spent their careers practising on it.

Another more visible scratch has appeared and it's beginning to bug me, so I'm thinking of getting a watch press and swapping to mineral...or perhaps even sapphire at the right price.
    The original acrylic crystal has a pronounced dome and I quite like the 'lens' effect that kind of makes it look chunky, however it does lead to distorted reflections.
    A flat crystal is perhaps a little more sophisticated and less likely to be scuffed or scratched.

I'm definitely erring toward flat - what would your preference be?

Also, I can't seem to find the precise diameter online (or anyone listing a direct replacement), so I guess I'll need a caliper gauge as well!
    Never changed a crystal before, watched a few vids on Youtube but would appreciate any advice.
    Last edited by Greatkingrat; 2 Weeks Ago at 15:16.

Re: Domed or flat?

I always thought these have mineral crystal, i almost bought one online.

Btt: Why not try polywatch first?

CC

A few weeks ago I would of said flat but after a bit of time with the GWR-1000 & SBBN033 I'm getting used to, and liking, the domed look.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by kcohS-G View Post
    I always thought these have mineral crystal, i almost bought one online.

Btt: Why not try polywatch first?
    I think I'll get a tube of Polywatch for some of my others but I think it's really a temporary fix and particularly with a domed crystal - only a matter of time before it'll need doing again.
    I also read a review where the user was pleased with the results but declared that the crystal looked good but not 'as new'.

Like you, I was surprised to discover that it was acrylic because although reasonably priced, the 430 like the current 640 (no doubt others too) all have acrylic crystals but are not exactly cheap watches.
    When you step up to the same modules in the Lineage range you get sapphire and the prices start at roughly the same but can go significantly higher, with no mid-priced option for mineral.

Overall I think mineral, as used on most G-Shocks, is the obvious choice as it's so cheap but sapphire would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    A few weeks ago I would of said flat but after a bit of time with the GWR-1000 & SBBN033 I'm getting used to, and liking, the domed look.
    Yes, I do like it.
    A side by side comparison with a similar sized watch that I have with a flat crystal certainly makes the 430 look larger but that's also helped by the fact that the numerals are closer to the edge on the 430.
    Overall I think the 430 with the domed crystal looks bigger than it actually is, which I like, but does make the glass a little more vulnerable.

My Citizen has a slightly domed crystal, and I do think it looks nice, but I wish it was flat. Right now the crystal is the 'high point' of the watch, and if I clip a corner or something with it, it's likely going to be the crystal that takes a hit.

If you can go sapphire, go sapphire. It may be more $$, but it's a lot more scratch resistant.
    Greatkingrat likes this.

Thanks for your comments, you've definitely tweaked my thought process.

I'm now thinking I'll go flat if I choose mineral because although it's much better than acrylic, it'll be better protected by the bezel.
    But with sapphire, I'll choose domed a) to be faithful to the original and b) to maintain that chunky 3D appearance and not have to worry about scratches.

TBH the watch body is curvy with rounded buttons and probably wouldn't look quite right with a flat crystal.

I had a Citizen BM8180, a popular reasonably inexpensive field watch. Flat mineral crystal. Put a small scratch in it in less than two months. No idea how I did it, don't recall ever hitting it on anything. But there it was...

When I got something a bit nicer for everyday wear, sapphire crystal was a requirement.

Old watch on the left with the flat mineral crystal (the scratch it at the very edge of the crystal at the 6 min tick mark, you can't really see it in this pic), new watch on the right with the domed sapphire.

Can't see your picture dgaddis, but you're obviously recommending the domed sapphire, so thank you for that.

flat. Domed is not good for visibility especially when it lens like.
    It should be special!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information