Don't you find it a bit ironic? OT Sorta...

Thread: Don't you find it a bit ironic? OT Sorta...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Don't you find it a bit ironic? OT Sorta...

Hey, Haven't posted in awhile but I wanted to get an opinion on something that's been bugging me........

Some time ago there was a couple of posts here and there about watches not being as popular since people normally just carry a cellphone.

But over the last few days I've read a couple of articles on watch cellphones debuting at various electronic shows.
    Admittedly I think they have a loooong way to go before that have something that's truly viable.
    But Its like things have come nearly full circle. What does this mean for the watch industry overall?

Just found it curious.

Re: Don't you find it a bit ironic? OT Sorta...

I think watches will have a lasting product life cycle.

Although the cellphone may be a substitute for the watch in terms of usage, using the watch to read time isn't the only purpose of owning or wearing a watch.

Other purposes like accessorising for the overall look, and collecting timepieces as a hobby, are what that make the watch irreplaceable by the cellphone, and what will keep the industry going.

There are situations at work where I have to make sure a co-worker will know the time and will ask if they have a watch. Its amazing to me how many say, "No, but I have my cell phone." I find it highly irritating. One, who doesn't need to know the time, and two, cell phones are not allowed at work!
    Unfortuanately, cell phones have already started taking over, but I will never replace wearing a watch for carrying a phone all the time, no matter how small they make them.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

In our lifetime (well mine, anyway) I don't see any great shifts in the industry. The pattern so far is that items that combine functions tend not to perform the individual functions as well as dedicated products. There might be some shift as technology improves, but not enough to fundamentally change the market.

Most people who like watches will always want them to be watches. The ever-increasing market for mechanical watches is an interesting case in point. Rationally, it shouldn't exist. Quartz virtually killed it, but it survived and flourished again. People don't necessarily want the most rational 'do it all' products.

Watches have appeal beyond functionality, and although functionality may be paramount for many on this forum, it's not actually what drives most purchases.

I'd as soon have a phone in my watch as a TV in my hat.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    ....deleted

Watches have appeal beyond functionality, and although functionality may be paramount for many on this forum, it's not actually what drives most purchases.
    most watches are more a part of jewelry nowadays, anyway, right?
    isn't that's why G comes in many "crazy colors", "street style"?
    and we (I) wear the reverse display even though it's actually a pain really to tell the time

I do have the feeling that in the not too distant future, watches will become redundant, but not because of mobile phones or clocks being imbedded into every device people can buy. I think watches as a necessity will fall by the wayside when the current time paradigm changes.

Collecting and wearing watches will still be fun, but just not so practical anymore.

+1 on what Tribe said.....

It seems that our beloved watches have been the unwilling counterpart in all sorts of "additions". We've seen everything from remote controls, tv's, to calculators (which i do like). While some of these features are very useful and appeal to most like alti, baro, and compass for example. Others can be more of a gimmick than useful. So while you can add certain features and take others away at the end of the day the most important feature is that it tells time! And that is why we wear them

Quote Originally Posted by bluegum View Post
    when the current time paradigm changes.
    I'm counting the days to that one.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

Question Re: Don't you find it a bit ironic? OT Sorta...

Quote Originally Posted by bluegum View Post
    when the current time paradigm changes.
    What do you mean?
    "I bet you're a big Lee Marvin fan."

WJR

Quote Originally Posted by dirkdiggler View Post
    What do you mean?
    I am lost on this as well. Please explain.

WJR

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information