Don't you wish GShocks...

Thread: Don't you wish GShocks...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Don't you wish GShocks...

had displays like this, when just plain old legibility and a simple time display is all that's needed:
    Name:  EFD-103w_1.jpg
Views: 836
Size:  43.6 KB
    Casio Edifice EFD-103
    Name:  EFD-103ww_1.jpg
Views: 852
Size:  48.9 KB
    Closer view of the display
    What do you guys think?
    Lee

Re: Don't you wish GShocks...

Not precisely like that, but yes I do wish there was a G-Shock with a simple display.

More modern would be good too. I once had one of those Suunto animated 'walk through' demos on my computer screen and marvelled at the clarity of their designs compared to G-Shocks.

It's a curious thing with Casio - I think they (and possibly a good number of their customers) are reluctant to abandon their 1980s heritage (if heritage can be so recent) when it comes to G-Shocks. We're so used to G-Shock displays that we don't notice that they are a little old-fashioned. Casio experiments more with Baby Gs, but core G-Shocks change very little. They will have to one day.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

I don't like the seconds under the hours and minutes, but otherwise it's nice. That's something I appreciate about my Ironman watches--very big and legible digits.

I do like the old-school display of the Gs, too. It just seems to fit the personality of the classics.
    Caraptor

The man who buys a particular watch to feel smarter or better than other people and the man who avoids a particular watch to feel smarter or better than other people are brothers.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I really like the displays of most G-Shocks. I do admit though, watches like the some of the Timex Ironmans have great readable displays.

Banned

Very good point!!!

I love the ruggedness of the G-Shock line, but I don't like the busy displays and smaller digits. I am now using the Casio pictured here
    Attached Images Attached Images

I suppose having a relatively smaller display is part of the G-Shock trademark, and the newer Gs are trying to address it with somewhat larger readouts.

But I think of it as an acceptable alternative to having an ultra-legible but ultimately fragile watch. And besides, it's proof that G-Shocks are being aimed at a younger demographic, because they require superb eyesight to read.
    DW-9051/2
    G-9200 Riseman
    G-9100 Gulfman
    G-9000MC-8D Mudman
    GW5600J
    GA-100A-9A

Sucks to be without a G.

Yes. This is my biggest annoyance with G-Shocks and probably the main reason why I don't own more, or those that I have/do own are not the most worn.

I cannot understand why Casio insist of using such small digits! My eyes are still ok and I can read them but whenever I wear my Ironman and see the excellent large numbers (still with lots of information on the screen) I don't want to go back to the tiny numbers of the G-Shock, even if it is a smarter and better quality watch! If you have the choice of a better screen but choose sub-optimal?

I think Casio are losing out here. However I do also think that many Casio owners do not know any better and assume "it is how it is". Casio pretty much always had a grip on the digital watch market so seeking alternatives is not commonly done. Casio often simply waste the space on the dial with useless circles and flashing objects which have no function at all and I don't think anyone actually appreciates them asthetically (I may be wrong, I certainly don't).

Ok some Gs have larger digits, but they are few and far between really. Certainly the most popular models don't have large digits.

Suspended

I think the 7800 fits the bill. You can even make the top line blank if you want. I have noticed using the thinner font for the top and bottom lines makes the time jump off the dial.

Really hard to photograph being completely black....

Thinner font top and bottom is definitely the way to go with 7800s.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    Not precisely like that, but yes I do wish there was a G-Shock with a simple display.

More modern would be good too. I once had one of those Suunto animated 'walk through' demos on my computer screen and marvelled at the clarity of their designs compared to G-Shocks.

It's a curious thing with Casio - I think they (and possibly a good number of their customers) are reluctant to abandon their 1980s heritage (if heritage can be so recent) when it comes to G-Shocks. We're so used to G-Shock displays that we don't notice that they are a little old-fashioned. Casio experiments more with Baby Gs, but core G-Shocks change very little. They will have to one day.
    Very well said, Tribe! I couldn't agree more, and this is one reason I don't have many G-Shocks left (only 2). I think some of the Timex digital watch displays are very nice and easy to read, but I hate their Indiglo system - hard for me to read in the dark.
    Regards from Texas,

Larry C

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information