DST Starts Tonight in Europe

Thread: DST Starts Tonight in Europe

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

DST Starts Tonight in Europe

Hey, DST starts tonight in Europe. Sunday morning on 01:00:00 GMT the clocks will go forward to 02:00:00 BST in the Western European Time Zone (UK, Ireland, Portugal; but Island does not introduce DST), from 02:00:00 CET to 03:00:00 CEST in the Central European Time Zone (most of the countries as Germany, Spain, France, Poland, etc.) and from 03:00:00 EET to 04:00:00 EEST in the Eastern European Time Zone (Finnland, Ukraine, Greece, Baltic Countries). The rule is designed so that it happens at the same moment all through Europe.

Your watch should start auto syncing one minute after the change so make sure it succeeds so that you have the correct time :)

Re: DST Starts Tonight in Europe

I'll check when I get up for the Aussie Grand Prix tomorrow

Cool, that means all those non-atomic g-shocks I haven't worn since the clocks last changed will be back at the right time
    2011-04-08

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Laughing Re: DST Starts Tonight in Europe

Quote Originally Posted by rutteger View Post
    Cool, that means all those non-atomic g-shocks I haven't worn since the clocks last changed will be back at the right time

That's one way to do it, LOL.

Wooooooooohooooooo!!!!! All right!!! Parrrrrtyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!

Oh wait a minute. I'm not in Europe. Bugger!

Banned
    Brokeback Mountain, The Balkans, N. Korea, NY, The Middle East.....all the nice places on earth

So tell me, what happens to an Atomic G-Shock that's already synchronized itself to the DST in the USA when traveling and physically being in Europe "before" the European DST change? Would the watch synchronize to the "winter" time and then after DST begin, would it re-synchronize to the new European DST? How would that work?

My understanding is you set the 'home' city to your current location and it syncs with that tower's signal. The signal just contains the current time.

I'm not sure whether the signal also includes the DST on/off flag, or if that is worked out by the watch calendar. I'd guess the former.

woke up in Dublin this morning to WET DST, automatically synced on my 2 G Shocks whilst I slept. Turned on DST option manually on the Missus's baby-G. She got a kick out of watching the hands going forward.

Little pleasures & all that.....

Now I'm going to dig the veggie patch

Quote Originally Posted by jops View Post
    My understanding is you set the 'home' city to your current location and it syncs with that tower's signal. The signal just contains the current time.

I'm not sure whether the signal also includes the DST on/off flag, or if that is worked out by the watch calendar. I'd guess the former.
    Correct.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

That's really an interesting question. Obviously you change the home city and if you set the DST to 'auto', you will have the correct setting as soon as you sync (either you wait until 1 a.m. or launch manual sync) -- because the DST setting *is* carried in the signal... But the question is what happens before the sync: whether the watch applies your 'old' DST settings from the American signal in its new place in Europe... i won't know until I fly to America... But I doubt it tries to guess the DST by the calendar as this depends on goverments decision, which may change.
    Last edited by madman01; March 28th, 2010 at 18:05.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information