DST update without sync?
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: DST update without sync?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

DST update without sync?

I wore my GW-5000 to help it sync (human antenna and all that) and I left my other atomic, an OCW-S100, sit out in the living room. The Oceanus does not show 'Y' when you check for reception status, but I noticed that it was showing the correct, DST-adjusted, time. How is this possible? My current theory is that it did in fact get a signal but by adjusting for DST it shows 'N' (any change to timekeeping erases the reception status). Any ideas?

EDIT: Thanks to Time4Playnow and reading the manual. Apparently there are certain modules that store DST times for each city code. For the 5235 module inside the OCW-S100 the manual is as follows:

Last edited by idkfa; March 14th, 2016 at 05:31.

Re: DST update without sync?

I think the change you made to turn DST "on" changes the sync status to having not synced.
    If you don't think every day is a good day, just try missing one. ~Cavett Robert

Quote Originally Posted by idkfa View Post
    I wore my GW-5000 to help it sync (human antenna and all that) and I left my other atomic, an OCW-S100, sit out in the living room. The Oceanus does not show 'Y' when you check for reception status, but I noticed that it was showing the correct, DST-adjusted, time. How is this possible? My current theory is that it did in fact get a signal but by adjusting for DST it shows 'N' (any change to timekeeping erases the reception status). Any ideas?
    I have a similar question and was just about to post a thread, but you beat me to it! LOL

Well first, your theory, I'm sorry to say, is incorrect.

Here is what happened to me. I had 4 analog watches (GPW-1000, MTG-G1000D, GW-A1100R, and GW-A1000FC), all of which did NOT sync, yet did update to the correct DST time. (I assume, because the "auto" DST setting was on. Although in the case of the GPS watches, I know they have an internal table for DST) I also had one other GW-A1100 (green one) that DID receive the atomic signal last night, and of course also updated to the correct DST time. (that is what shoots down your theory)

But here is my question. Before going to bed last night, I made sure my Burton Rangeman was set to "auto" for DST. It did NOT receive the radio signal last night, and did NOT update! Now, why would the analog watches update for DST without receiving the atomic signal, while the Rangeman did not??? Is it true what one of the pioneering researchers of g-shock behavior claimed, that analogs are smarter than digitals??? What is going on here?
    Last edited by Time4Playnow; March 13th, 2016 at 19:04.
    idkfa likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Garden City Park, New York, United States

DST update without sync?

I live in Long Island NY ,so Fort Collins sync is iffy. If I want a sync I need to wear my unit to bed on the second floor or put them on the blind slats j never get a sync from my watch box in my office on the ground floor

So last night after 2 all the watches went on the blind slats and none synced but the s100 did move to DST on its own

The ocw600 and my gw3500b will have to try again tonight. The US needs a east coast transmitter
    Last edited by MikeCfromLI; March 13th, 2016 at 22:48.
    MikeCfromLI

Interesting, thanks for the detailed reply!

I didn't touch the watch at all last night or this morning before noticing that it updated DST. I did just check, the watch is of course set to 'AUTO' for DST adjustment.

Garden City Park, New York, United States

DST update without sync?

So is my 3500b but no adjustment w/o signal

Last edited by MikeCfromLI; March 14th, 2016 at 02:36.
    MikeCfromLI

All of my radio-controlled watches must sync in order to update the DST status. This includes three digital Gs, one ana-digi G, one digital Pathfinder and two analog Citizen Eco-Drives. I don't have any watches that automatically account for DST changes without syncing.

Last night my 6900 synched at 2:10 and the 5610 and 2310 showed 1:08. I had DST set to AUTO on all three and they all showed the correct time this morning.
    Tom

Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more, than the traveling hands of time.

The watch had to sync, there is no way it would know when to switch to DST without reception from the atomic timekeeping source.

I wonder if the signal strength (L1, L2, L3) had something to do with this. Maybe the watch received the DST information but not enough to correct the rest of the timekeeping and display that it received?
    Last edited by idkfa; March 14th, 2016 at 02:24.

none of my atomic synced last night - maybe because of this bad weather
    Last edited by CMSgt Bo; March 14th, 2016 at 04:33.
    idkfa and Cbrbamby09 like this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information