The Duality Of Man

Thread: The Duality Of Man

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Cool The Duality Of Man

This is a rebuttal to various posts on various threads from various G-Shockers attempting to dismiss the GW9100-1 as "Not A Real Gulfman."

First, it's not a democracy. If Casio says that the GW9100-1 is a Gulfman, then it is a Gulfman. Period.

Second, arguing that the atomic Gulfman is not a "real" Gulfman because it doesn't have a tide graph is like arguing that Christian Bale is not a "real" Batman because Bale doesn't wear tights and doesn't drive a long convertible with big fins.

Third, a tide graph would completely destroy the appearance of the atomic Gulfman. Not all change is good, but some change is good. Adios, tide graph.

Fourth, the entire discussion is a red herring. The atomic Gulfman is the perfect G-Shock for a certain segment of G-Shockers, and this "real or not" debate is a distraction from that more fundamental observation. There is a segment of G-Shockers that want simplicity, not complexity. The atomic Gulfman is brilliant with the basics: precise accuracy due to atomic timekeeping, rugged durability due to deeply recessed face/titanium parts and dependable reliability due to solar power. The atomic Gulfman has everything I need...and nothing I don't.

Most importantly, the atomic Gulfman has one of the coolest visual designs in the history of G-Shocks. Each "master" has a different logo on its caseback, and the specific logo for the atomic Gulfman is a turtle. The turtle is an animal of timeless and cross-cultural symbolism throughout literary history and cinematic history. If you look at the atomic Gulfman, you can see the "turtle shell" inspiration in the design of the watch. Can the same be said for the Riseman? Or the Mudman? Or the Frogman?

Creating a striking diametrically-opposed symbolic contrast is the reception gauge of the atomic Gulfman. The inspiration for the reception gauge is a revolver.

Why would the designers of the atomic Gulfman intentionally pair the symbolism of a turtle with the symbolism of a revolver?

Re: The Duality Of Man

To each his own, IMO one of the nicest looking G-Shocks period.

All well and good however I'd contest that "...and nothing I don't" might be a bit off when it comes to the sync display. Who really needs to know what atomic clocks you didn't sync with? Not that it doesn't look cool it's just something I'd say isn't needed.

BTW, is the crystal any deeper than the non-atomic Gulfman?
    Last edited by natornate; August 17th, 2008 at 09:48.
    -Nate
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."
    -Albert Einstein

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Dirk,

Your post has substance,...

...a quality we don't see often. My most sincere congratulations. Thanks for posting.

Just a comment: Don't you think that the atomic reception gauge of the GW Gulfman could also be the echo of a turtle shell?

Many congrats indeed.

Last edited by Vintage; August 17th, 2008 at 10:04.

Cool Re: The Duality Of Man

Quote Originally Posted by Vintage View Post
    Don't you think that the atomic reception gauge of the Gulfman could also be the echo of a turtle shell?
    I called it the way I see it. You should call it the way you see it. It's just an "inkblot" anyway.

"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world...."

http://arts.ucsc.edu/GDead/AGDL/eyes.html

Interesting comments dirkdiggler.

I look at this way - I want a G-Shock with tide graph and atomic/solar, but there isn't one.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherms View Post
    To each his own, IMO one of the nicest looking G-Shocks period.
    I agree! It has only the really useful features and looks great!

Quote Originally Posted by dirkdiggler View Post
    Why would the designers of the atomic Gulfman intentionally pair the symbolism of a turtle with the symbolism of a revolver?
    You are correct, Mr. Diggler. The case and bezel design of the Gulfman were inspired by the turtle. But the watch is more than an emulation of a turtle, the watch design itself clearly tells a story.

Flip the watch over to the case back. Look at the turtle. Pure. Innocent. Beautiful. This is the past.

The flip the watch over to its face. Scattered. Asymmetrical. The titanium represents the turtles innards and its soul. The black plastic parts which partially protect the innards represent the turtle's shell. As you can see, the shell is in parts. It is no longer in tact as a single unit. You see the revolver. The G. G is for Gun - Gansta - Gorry. The turtle is dead, my friend. It has been shot. Its shell has been blown apart. Put another bullet in the revolver. This is the future.

Clearly, with the Gulfman, Casio is making a statement against violence, guns, and the preservation of wildlife. Let us all come together as one.

But you are right, Marky Mark, the design is aesthetically one of Casio's best. But like a turtle, it is slow, unrefined, and ancient. Can't we get a timer than runs for over an hour? On a module this new, can we get a chrono that concurrently shows the current time? No, my friend. Because this watch is but a turtle.

Exclusively chronographs with rotating bezel and date.
    ______
    Breitling Heritage Chrono Rose Gold 46mm
    Breitling for ​Bentley Supersports Light Body
    Breitling Navitimer 50th Anniversary
    Breitling Montbrillant Datora
    Breitling Avenger Skyland GreySteel Mod
    Tutima Flieger Chronograph F2 UTC Mod
    U-Boat U-42 Chrono 47mm
    Damasko DC66 Black
    Damasko DC67 Black
    Sinn 757
    Sinn 900 Flieger
    Sinn 900 S Black Flieger
    Glycine Lagunare Chrono L1000
    Victorinox Alpnach Auto Chrono 1st Gen
    Victorinox Divemaster 500 Chrono Black
    Victorinox Divemaster 500 Chrono Orange
    Hamilton X-Wind Black PVD Rose Gold
    Hamilton X-Wind Mod
    Hamilton Flight Timer
    CX Swiss Military Navy Diver Red
    CX Swiss Military Navy Diver Black

Seriously.... you read an anti-violence anti-gun statement into this watch, just a bit hard for me to swallow. I don't see any grand statements or hidden messages. It's a tool that measures time. I think a tad much is being pulled from a metal and plastic object one wears on their wrist. I don't see any of this, I see a Casio Gulfman that's it ...sorry.
    -Nate
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."
    -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by dirkdiggler View Post
    This is a rebuttal to various posts on various threads from various G-Shockers attempting to dismiss the GW9100-1 as "Not A Real Gulfman."

First, it's not a democracy. If Casio says that the GW9100-1 is a Gulfman, then it is a Gulfman. Period.

Second, arguing that the atomic Gulfman is not a "real" Gulfman because it doesn't have a tide graph is like arguing that Christian Bale is not a "real" Batman because Bale doesn't wear tights and doesn't drive a long convertible with big fins.

Third, a tide graph would completely destroy the appearance of the atomic Gulfman. Not all change is good, but some change is good. Adios, tide graph.

Fourth, the entire discussion is a red herring. The atomic Gulfman is the perfect G-Shock for a certain segment of G-Shockers, and this "real or not" debate is a distraction from that more fundamental observation. There is a segment of G-Shockers that want simplicity, not complexity. The atomic Gulfman is brilliant with the basics: precise accuracy due to atomic timekeeping, rugged durability due to deeply recessed face/titanium parts and dependable reliability due to solar power. The atomic Gulfman has everything I need...and nothing I don't.

Most importantly, the atomic Gulfman has one of the coolest visual designs in the history of G-Shocks. Each "master" has a different logo on its caseback, and the specific logo for the atomic Gulfman is a turtle. The turtle is an animal of timeless and cross-cultural symbolism throughout literary history and cinematic history. If you look at the atomic Gulfman, you can see the "turtle shell" inspiration in the design of the watch. Can the same be said for the Riseman? Or the Mudman? Or the Frogman?

Creating a striking diametrically-opposed symbolic contrast is the reception gauge of the atomic Gulfman. The inspiration for the reception gauge is a revolver.

Great post dirky! Aces!

As for me I was gonna buy a GW002 but when I got to the store I saw the GW002 and GW9100 sitting next to each other. And the GW002 is a great looking watch, no doubt about that. And the GW9100 was more than twice the price of the GW9100. But I just had to have it! I think it´s gorgeuos and has all the things I want in a watch! As for the symbolism of the face of the watch I think there´s as many as there are WUS users. But it´s a watch that loads of people has an opinion about. Gotta love that!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information