The Dumbest Question ever posted on WUS...

Thread: The Dumbest Question ever posted on WUS...

The Dumbest Question ever posted on WUS...

Still learning about the design of G's, obviously :):)

Could someone please attach a photo, and describe exactly which portion of the dial is considered the solar panel??

Also, on the GW-206K-7DR L.Edition I.C.E.R.C, other than the white case, how would you describe the colors of the dial/inner bezel/etc? I am partially colorblind. The area that looks like a bunch of blinking pizza slices :):) looks purple to me on the 206K, but other than that, I only see shades of black or gray, although the function readouts look purpley at a certain angle.

Thank you, Eric

Re: The Dumbest Question ever posted on WUS...

Hi e-Man,

Everything that is visible of the module (so actually everything behind the crystal), that is not display is the solar cell. Until now the solar cells are a bit dark blue to purple, but in the Official G-Shock book there is spoken about colored solar cells.

Cheers,

Sjors
    There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Bezoek ook eens het Nederlandstalige WUS forum: Kaliber 2010

Quote Originally Posted by e-Man
    I am partially colorblind. The area that looks like a bunch of blinking pizza slices :):)
    That was the part your question wasn't a stupid one at all

Cheers,

Sjors
    There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Bezoek ook eens het Nederlandstalige WUS forum: Kaliber 2010

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Was Japan, now back home in Cairns, Queensland, Australia

Smile Red dots = Solar Panel

Hi Eric -

The parts with the red dots on in the below photo is actually the solar panel. Amzing technology

Also check this link for some good photos to help you decided on buying the 206. AWESOME model:gold
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=27982

logician

Re: Red dots = Solar Panel

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE
    Hi Eric -

The parts with the red dots on in the below photo is actually the solar panel. Amzing technology
    Why are solar panels amazing? They've been around for some time, even considering these new amorphous cells used by casio.

(As a side note, this represents Casio's desire to cut costs at the expense of all else - the traditional monocrystalline solar cell is MUCH more efficient at generating power in lower light situations and it's use is much more logical in a solar powered watch in order to keep that battery 'conditioned,' as casio says. They are more expensive though, which is why you get a panel that really only charges in extremely bright light and thus wears out your battery more rapidly.)

Anyway, I think the Eco-Drive Thermal is a much more amazing technology - couple that with a reliable capacitor storage system instead of a lithium cell and you'd have one reliable free energy source for a low drain application like watches...

Was Japan, now back home in Cairns, Queensland, Australia

Quote Originally Posted by logician
    (As a side note, this represents Casio's desire to cut costs at the expense of all else - )
    I'm happy if they keep this "cost cut" as I love the FROGMAN exactly the way they are

No such thing as a dumb question. Only a lot of inquisitive idiots. Haha, just kidding. I saw that on despair.com =P

As for the solar panel stuff, Ozzie pretty much covered that. I think I actually prefer regular lithium batteries, though. With solar I tend to try and keep my watch in light at all times, even though I know it doesn't need it.

Quote Originally Posted by TomG
    With solar I tend to try and keep my watch in light at all times, even though I know it doesn't need it.
    I do that too, whenever I'm outside -- not so much indoors. Sometimes even with my DW-5600E, even though it's not solar... just a habit I guess, it's my only non-solar G (in my small collection :-D).

I have one a those natural type lights ! I keep my Solar watches under about 12 hours a day and NEVER had a problem ! I do once in a while put them in the direct sun ! IF I have not been wearing them much ! but I doubt they really need that ! :-S :-D

Thread Information