dunhill

Thread: dunhill

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

dunhill

There isn't a WUS forum for watches like this - and in case someone says so, it does not belong in 'Fashion Watches'.

And the ana-digi aspect is interesting, and anyway, I live here and Bluegum asked for pictures.

Dunhill. A British equivalent to Cartier, but now, like Cartier, part of the Richemont luxury group along with Jaeger Le-Coultre and IWC. Dunhill has been designing watches since the turn of the twentieth century. Designed in London but made in Switzerland (these days by Jaeger Le-Coultre, but I don't know who made this one).

Faceted crystals have been a feature of Dunhill watches since the 1930s, and echo the design of the interior lamps that Dunhill was then providing for Rolls-Royce. Art-deco references aside, you could call the D7 a nerdy dress-watch - a thinly-populated category that might also include the ana-digi models in the Rado catalogue (which probably have the same ETA movement, also shared with early Breitling Navitimers and, more prosaically, some Tissots).

These pictures (borrowed from Upscale Time, one of the companies selling old stock) show most of the displays:

I don't know how this will fare in my collection in the long-term - it's just too different from anything I've had before. I know one thing though - it will help suppress the temptation to brandish my credit card in the direction of a four-figure Rado. Nah, too flat, those Rados. Facets, man, that's what you want - facets.

It's the facets that make it. The DM7 is a fully-fledged chronograph with two stopwatches (both 24hr), countdown timer (24hr), dual time and alarm (all operated from the crown), but it's the faceted crystal that gives it a whiff of ritzy Mayfair, circa 1936. It also helps send the digital display into inky oblivion should you choose to switch it off. Quite a masterful piece of design really. The crystal is curved as well as faceted and must be pretty thick to allow for both. The effect is of a jewel in a brushed-steel frame, and it presents a different face from every angle. An anti-reflective crystal would be missing the point on this watch...

The Mondrian effect -

Downsides? Switching modes and making adjustments is fiddly compared to a four-button chrono like a G-Shock. And if it's dark you can't see the hands or the digital display. Doesn't matter though - lumed hands and a backlight (and a backlight button) would ruin it.

The retail price for these was a tank of petrol short of £1,000, but new old stock is currently available for much less (the result of a 'mechanical makeover' at Dunhill), and I paid much less than that. I'd admired the design for years but had assumed they were expensive. Seeing one for sale on TZ-UK for G-Shock money... well, it was a simple decision.

Bring the car round to the front, James - we're off to Claridges for cocktails.
    Last edited by tribe125; December 13th, 2009 at 19:20.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

Re: dunhill

Beeing an ex smoker I'm more likely to associate Dunhill with smokes than with watches....

Say, is that a movement where you have to "wind" the crown to access functions? If yes I've seen this on one Victorinox and Bertling of course.

A nice design indeed... glad you posted a picture... I dare calling it "new and refreshing design" and that by itself is rather HUGE accocolade from a watch collector...

And now for infomus question: Which one is leaving the heard?

SIDENOTE: Are you learning how to tie a bow tie? ;)

Sidenote2:
    "Dunhill. A British equivalent to Cartier, but now, like Cartier, part of the Richemont luxury group along with Jaeger Le-Coultre and IWC. Dunhill has been designing watches since the turn of the twentieth century. Designed in London but made in Switzerland (these days by Jaeger Le-Coultre, but I don't know who made this one)."

Case China. Movement: ETA. Any questions? ;)
    Last edited by duke4c; December 11th, 2009 at 20:19.
    "Do you like having a good time? Then you need a good watch!" - Rocky Balboa, Rocky II, 1979

Banned

Can't really say why but i like it

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by duke4c View Post
    Say, is that a movement where you have to "wind" the crown to access functions? If yes I've seen this on one Victorinox and Bertling of course.
    Yes, that's right - wind to change display, pull to adjust (and then wind), press to start and stop stopwatch, etc.

And now for infomus question: Which one is leaving the heard?

SIDENOTE: Are you learning how to tie a bow tie? ;)
    'Quartz in, quartz out', I think. Which means either the Traser or Precista PRS-10 - when I get round to it.

And the bow-tie picture is from a book I found on eBay - 'Dunhill Timepieces'. I have no idea how to tie a bow-tie and will never need to know.

Case China. Movement: ETA. Any questions? ;)
    Not impossible, but I'd be very surprised.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

Please don't get me wrong Tribe, but if I take my WUS/G-shock hat off and put my WIS hat back on...all Dunhill has to offer these days when it comes to their timepieces is a brand with a long history but not much more to offer past an 'overpriced fashion watch' designed by a clothing/fashion conglomerate.

Bvlgari, Mont Blanc, Cartier etc are some that spring to mind as well

This does indeed remind me of a large set crystal...almost like an art deco rado.

Is it sapphire?

I think they've managed to create an ani-digi look without that techno-nerd vibe...

...not that there's anything wrong with that.

As you know, I'm not a 'square' fan, but this is intriguing and stylish.

Suspended

I think they succeeded in putting a multi function ana/dig in a tuxedo. I like the idea of the option to actually leave the screen blank/black.

Nice looking ani-digi. I didn't know until weeks ago that they had watches in their line.
    I used to sell the full "smoker's line" of Dunhill in the late 70's-early 80's. Everything from their lovely pipes to those wonderful lighters. Used to be that pretty much everything with the Dunhill name on it was very nice, indeed.

Josh

Very interesting looking watch. Both classy and cool.

Very interesting
    Current G's:
    GW-9200J-1 Riseman
    DW-004ASJ-8AT (stealthed)
    DW-9800 Wademan AR-3T ARTI
    DW-8800AJ ADMA's Full set of 5

Wish List:

G-7900 1ER - GW-7900B-1JF - GW-M5600BC -
    G-9000-8DVR Stormtrooper - GW-9100MB-1JF Gulfman - FTS-100 Forester

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information