Duracoating (Fancy Paint) my G??

Thread: Duracoating (Fancy Paint) my G??

Question Duracoating (Fancy Paint) my G??

I have a GW-500A that I am looking to disassemble and duracoat. Can someone help me with instructions?

I've gotten so far as to get the internal component half way out but the flat ribbon wire is attached to the photo recharge bezel and I don't want to break it.

I am wanting to duracoat everything that is shinny seen here. Masking it of while it is assembled just seems lazy and would never last.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________________

Re: Duracoating (Fancy Paint) my G??

OK, I got it apart. I wish I would have realized how it came apart earlier. It was really simple, lol. Now I need to find a color scheme. I wear a paracord bracelet that is Coyote Brown and OD Green on the other wrist so I an looking to match that.
    Last edited by Wolvee; August 14th, 2010 at 10:59.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________________

What type of paint would you use on the black rubber? I'm going for a Coyote Brown and OD green theme.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I dont think you will ever find paint that will permanantly adhere to the rubber bezel, as for the stainless bezel ring, a 2 part automotive basecoat clearcoat with a catalyst in a small detailed HVLP gun. I have never been made aware of any external paint process used on a watch that has lasted. At any rate, good luck with it and post pics when complete!!
    Experience is what you end up with when you didn't get what you wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolvee View Post
    What type of paint would you use on the black rubber? I'm going for a Coyote Brown and OD green theme.
    The new air-dry version of KG Gun-Kote has worked well for me on plastics.

I have no experience with the Duracoat (sp?), but others have said that it also works well.

As with any coating, surface preparation is going to be the key to a durable finish. Beadblasting the stainless ring would take care of that. Perhaps a light sanding and thorough degreasing (electronic contact cleaner or brake cleaner) of the plastic bezel would work.

Let us know how it turns out. Sounds like you are on the right track with OD gree and Coyote Brown

HTH
    "So?"
    -Andrew Breitbart 1969-2012

The picture doesn't do it justice and I still haven't wet sand it yet but it looks pretty good so far. I'm going to order a OD Green strap from County Com with the adapters.

How did this end up? Where could I get info on full disassembly? I too think the GW-500 is a bit shiny for my taste (I got a deal otherwise I would have bought the 530). Does the watch lose any structural integrity?

I'm curious how this project turned out, ESPECIALLY this last part:

Quote Originally Posted by Wolvee View Post
    The picture doesn't do it justice and I still haven't wet sand it yet but it looks pretty good so far. I'm going to order a OD Green strap from County Com with the adapters.
    The GW5600 adapters County Com and others sell fit quite a few other G Shocks, but the GW-500/GW-530/MTG-900 series isn't one of them! The GW-5600 takes 16mm pins versus "screw and post" fasteners on the GW-500, the 12 o' clock and 6 o' clock mounts on the GW-500 are shaped A LOT differently from each other, and even more differently than those on a GW-5600.

There might be a way to get the adapters onto that watch, but it's going to take a LOT of modification.

Thread Information