DW-004 re-paint illuminator button?! Pls. Help!

Thread: DW-004 re-paint illuminator button?! Pls. Help!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

DW-004 re-paint illuminator button?! Pls. Help!

Hi guys,

I read a lot about re-painting the G-Shock logo and dying other parts of the watch. And finally did they try on my real and first one. :) Actually I was too much of a chicken to finalise it, without asking you guys before I ruin my best piece.

Here is what I did: I went to the drugstore around the corner and bought yellow enamel lacquer (nail lacquer), nail lacquer remover without acetone and a clear lacquer to cover the whole piece of art. :) I bought Acetone-free remover because I thought it would be better for the parts around the button...was that right?

(and it is amazing what kind of looks you get from people in a german drugstore, when you are male and buying nail lacquer in yellow, lacquer remover and a nail clear lacquer...haha.)

-> back to work. :)

After I disassembled my DW-004 the first time I got some more questions:

1.) G-BUTTON

I saw a post where someone told me to remove the G-button, but to be careful with the spring inside the little tube.

Name:  DSC04305 (1024x768).jpg
Views: 415
Size:  366.0 KB Frontview

Name:  DSC04310 (1024x768).jpg
Views: 384
Size:  445.3 KB backview with removed caseback and module.
    First of all: is it necessary to remove the button in order to re-paint the G?
    Second: if I have to remove the button, how can I remove that little secure lock that is placed on that even smaller tube?

2.) Just a few nice shots of the disassembling-process. :)

Name:  DSC04308 (1024x768).jpg
Views: 390
Size:  381.7 KBName:  DSC04307 (1024x768).jpg
Views: 363
Size:  400.4 KBName:  DSC04311 (1024x768).jpg
Views: 373
Size:  434.0 KB

Thanks for helping me!

Toby
    Cheers
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________

Re: DW-004 re-paint illuminator button?! Pls. Help!

If you're just going to paint it, there's no need to remove the button. In fact, there's no need to disassemble anything.
    Hook 'Em!!

"One who is good at making excuses is seldom good at anything else." ---- A. Wiseman

Compared to the letters on the bezel, the G on the ligt button is the more difficult thing to paint. Only because it's harder to remove the excess paint without removing the paint from the letter. I've never tried acetone-free remover, but if it's designed to remove nail polish, and that's what you're painting with, you should be ok. Coat the G and don't worry about the area around it. soak a q-tip or paper towell with the remover and gently wipe over the polish. The paint will stay insied the recessed area of the G while wiping off the excess on the button. Gentle wipes in one direction work best. If you remove from paint form the G, go back with a tooth pick dipped in the polish and gently refill the spots where the paint came up. Take your time. If you screw up completely, you can always clean everything and start over.
    Hook 'Em!!

"One who is good at making excuses is seldom good at anything else." ---- A. Wiseman

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I will do so as you said and post some pics of the result. Thanks again.

I just disassembled the watch because it didnt get a proper clean for more than 12 years now - disgusting. :)
    Cheers
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________

Here are two examples of the G Shocks were I have painted the 'G' button:

Original colour use to be a light grey - now black...

Name:  GW7900b cropped.jpg
Views: 612
Size:  650.1 KB

Original colour use to be red, now black...

Name:  yellow cropped.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  211.1 KB

As said before, absolutely no need to dismantle, in fact, I never even removed the old colour! As I was doing it black, I simply painted over the original colour. It is more tricky than painting the bezel letters due to the size of the 'G'. It's a bit fiddly when removing the excess, not to remove the paint inside the 'G' itself, your Q tip sometimes catches. My black watch (GW7900b) took a few goes to get right, though I struck it lucky on my yellow one (GW7900CD-9), getting it right first time.

Good luck, and post photos when complete!
    Never argue with an idiot - they'll only bring you down to their level and win from experience...

GW7900B (Stealth modded), GW7900CD-9ER (slightly modded), G7900A-7ER (Camo modded) G7900MS-1BDR, GW2500BD, ProTrek PRG 60YT (RIP), Chase Durer Mach 3, 2 x Citizen Skyhawks (Black & Titanium), Citizen Carbon Promaster JY0075-54E, 2 x vintage Seiko Chronographs, Invicat Grand Diver, Citizen BL5280-52E. Casio GWA 1100-1AER, GWG 1000-1A3ER (J&K metal bracelet conversion). GA400...

This mod is really giving me a hard time today.
    As Stephen already said, the Q-tip is a good tool to remove the nail polish, but if put just a little too much pressure while removing the colour in the "G" gets removed as well.
    Ready for round twooooo! :)

Until tonight (CET) I hope I will be able to post a satifisying results. As God wills... :)
    Cheers

Try using a paper towell. Fold it up and use the folded edge gently brushing in one direction. You can use the corner to get right to the edge of the G.
    Hook 'Em!!

I only tried using nail varnish / polish (acetone based) to paint a 'G' button once - then I quickly discovered that the plastic of the button and acetone are completely incompatible.

I would recommend using the type of enamel paint that is used for painting plastic models, you should get a much better result.

Hi Garrapata,

first of all I wanted to say, that I used the acetone free nail polish remover....and it looked awful. The plastic is getting a real matte colour...and it is removing the fine clear lacquer which is placed on the G-Button. I tried to cover it by clear nail polish...but I did not get it on the button as smooth as the original.

Now I will post some pics of the result. :(
    Cheers

I'm sorry I didn't advise you against using the nail polish remover - the plastic of the button does not take well to it, unlike the bezel which is a bit more robust. That is why I simply painted over the existing colour, rather than try and remove it first.

Hope it comes out not too bad!
    Never argue with an idiot - they'll only bring you down to their level and win from experience...

GW7900B (Stealth modded), GW7900CD-9ER (slightly modded), G7900A-7ER (Camo modded) G7900MS-1BDR, GW2500BD, ProTrek PRG 60YT (RIP), Chase Durer Mach 3, 2 x Citizen Skyhawks (Black & Titanium), Citizen Carbon Promaster JY0075-54E, 2 x vintage Seiko Chronographs, Invicat Grand Diver, Citizen BL5280-52E. Casio GWA 1100-1AER, GWG 1000-1A3ER (J&K metal bracelet conversion). GA400...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information