DW-5000-1JF case swap with new Basic Black?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rkny

Thread: DW-5000-1JF case swap with new Basic Black?

DW-5000-1JF case swap with new Basic Black?

Hey all,

I just got a sweet new DW-5600BB-1DR Basic Black. Loving the stealth look, but longing for a screwback version. I also have a mint 2001 (?) DW-5000-1JF screwback reissue (I think it's the domestic Japan version of the Team Tough reissue).

Is there any way (without breaking any crystals) to take just the steel case and screwback from the 5000 and transfer it over to the Basic Black? I'd like to keep the Basic Black's crystal with its all black screen printing, as well as the strap, bezel, and module.

Gracias.
    Fer Guzman likes this.

Re: DW-5000-1JF case swap with new Basic Black?

I did a similar thing with the Fairy Charm 5600. Removing crystals requires careful use of force. It is not difficult, but I have only been successful in not breaking them upon removal around 60% of the time. Getting them out of the plastic cases is MUCH easier than getting them out of the metal cases, and getting them out of modern watches is usually easier than getting them out of vintage watches. So don't be surprised if you accidentally break your DW-5000's crystal.

Fortaleza, Brazil. "The land of the sun" 30C /86F , all year long...

That's awesome.. Can you explain how you do it? (step by step) what tools you use? how to glue the glass back to the case? etc...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by erik_alves View Post
    That's awesome.. Can you explain how you do it? (step by step) what tools you use? how to glue the glass back to the case? etc...

thanks. No tools or glue needed. Just push the old crystal out from the inside and push the new crystal down from the outside. to push the new crystal down, make sure you are using a flat surface and perfectly even pressure. It can take sometimes a LOT of pressure to get it in place as it is a tight fit.

I'm interested in doing something similar. Kung, have you tested water resistance after a swap. Not necessarily to 200m depth, but at least in a swimming pool. I'm fine not being able to scuba dive in it, but I need to be able to dive off a diving board into 14ft.
    Current
    DW-8200MS "Kermit in Smoke" Frogman
    DW-8200F-4 Red Frogman
    GW-200-2 "Navy" Frogman - modded
    DW-5000SP "Bloody Project Team Tough mod"
    DW-9900 Frogman
    DW-5700 with 5600EH crystal "Screwback Eric Haze"
    GW-5000
    Beater G-3110

Quote Originally Posted by stpete
    I'm interested in doing something similar. Kung, have you tested water resistance after a swap. Not necessarily to 200m depth, but at least in a swimming pool. I'm fine not being able to scuba dive in it, but I need to be able to dive off a diving board into 14ft.
    I only tested in the sink. No leaks. I would be very surprised if it is any less resistant than a factory install

near Manhattan... Status: Changing course, hard about

I'm perplexed by this. I was under the impression that a permanent glue was used to bond the glass to the casing. From what you say, it sounds like it's more of a super tacky glue that remains attached to the glass and can be reused? When buying a brand new glass, does it come with this glue already in place? I'd always feared that buying a new one would be just a piece of glass and a special glue application would be necessary to attach it.
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

Quote Originally Posted by xevious
    I'm perplexed by this. I was under the impression that a permanent glue was used to bond the glass to the casing. From what you say, it sounds like it's more of a super tacky glue that remains attached to the glass and can be reused? When buying a brand new glass, does it come with this glue already in place? I'd always feared that buying a new one would be just a piece of glass and a special glue application would be necessary to attach it.
    There is no glue

Thanks for the replies folks.

Thread Information