DW-5600 module or LCD swap
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: DW-5600 module or LCD swap

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

DW-5600 module or LCD swap

I am thinking about getting a DW-5600MS with the -ve display and buying a normal 3229 module from Casio to install into it, assuming the cost isn't too prohibitive and there are no technical differences between the exterior dimensions of the different 3229 modules. I like the look of the MS bezel, band and border colouring under the glass, but hate negative displays and also tinted screens. I want the look of the display of the DW-5600E-1VER. I assume the tinting of the MS screen comes from the module and not the glass. Another possible way of doing it might be to keep the existing MS 3229 module and perhaps buy a plain LCD for it for the DW-5600E-1VER. I could also buy a DW-5600E-1VER and get an MS bezel, strap and case insert (?) but I suspect that would be almost as expensive as buying both watches lol. At the moment I don't have any 5600 watch. Anyone have any thoughts on the above or anything to mention that I haven't considered pls? Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Plissken; September 6th, 2017 at 14:37.

Re: DW-5600 module or LCD swap

PacParts offers the case center section, which appears to be the case front, glass, buttons, and bezel. Looking at MS crystals on eBay, the glass is not tinted. If you are in the States then the case is probably a wash in terms of price for a DW5600E, but is cheaper than a DW5600MS.
    PacParts: 91087112365
    Last edited by jzoo; September 6th, 2017 at 15:18. Reason: Better information and a link.

Quote Originally Posted by Plissken View Post
    I am thinking about getting a DW-5600MS with the -ve display and buying a normal 3229 module from Casio to install into it, assuming the cost isn't too prohibitive and there are no technical differences between the exterior dimensions of the different 3229 modules. I like the look of the MS bezel, band and border colouring under the glass, but hate negative displays and also tinted screens. I want the look of the display of the DW-5600E-1VER. I assume the tinting of the MS screen comes from the module and not the glass. Another possible way of doing it might be to keep the existing MS 3229 module and perhaps buy a plain LCD for it for the DW-5600E-1VER. I could also buy a DW-5600E-1VER and get an MS bezel, strap and case insert (?) but I suspect that would be almost as expensive as buying both watches lol. At the moment I don't have any 5600 watch. Anyone have any thoughts on the above or anything to mention that I haven't considered pls? Thanks in advance.
    Modules and LCDs are already restricted parts so it's hard to get those parts alone. The cheapest way is to replace the polarizing film on 5600MS which turns it from negative display to positive display. Here's a video on how to do it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the replies. I figure Casio would sell a module or LCD to end users or jewellers as part of a repair rather than to on line resellers who could be potentially be seen as promoting modding, but I will contact them and ask. Maybe not though - maybe these are considered too severe replacements for anyone other than Casio to do it, or that they think you should buy a new watch lol. The video is clear, thanks. I've seen this mod before and a few details let it down for me but it is cheap like you say.

Here's someone's pic who did this mod, although they didn't hang onto it.

Last edited by Plissken; September 6th, 2017 at 18:49.
    jzoo likes this.

Even though the parts are restricted, it just means that you'll have to contact Casio directly or American Perfit. You should be able to get a DW5600E LCD from them.

The other option would be to get a DW5600E and swap the MS crystal and bezel onto it. It should be fairly easy if you're comfortable with taking your watch apart but imo, swapping LCD is easiest.

Switching polarizer orientation is another option, as Epal2apol suggested but I think you'll be left with a reddish background when you go to positive. If you're okay with that then great. I wouldn't be happy with that and would prefer to swap LCD instead to get the right look. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by kevio View Post
    The other option would be to get a DW5600E and swap the MS crystal and bezel onto it. It should be fairly easy if you're comfortable with taking your watch apart but imo, swapping LCD is easiest.

Switching polarizer orientation is another option, as Epal2apol suggested but I think you'll be left with a reddish background when you go to positive. If you're okay with that then great. I wouldn't be happy with that and would prefer to swap LCD instead to get the right look. YMMV.
    Thanks very much for the input. Yes I agree on the pink background.

I asked Casio UK just now and apparently the 3229 module for the DW-5600E-1V is discontinued and no longer available although the LCD can still be purchased. Not sure how much to read into that.

Quote Originally Posted by Plissken View Post
    I asked Casio UK just now and apparently the 3229 module for the DW-5600E-1V is discontinued and no longer available although the LCD can still be purchased. Not sure how much to read into that.
    It's just $7 plus shipping fee. Get the LCD of DW-5030 instead. It's much clearer than that of DW-5600E.
    kevio and jzoo like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Epal2Apol View Post
    It's just $7 plus shipping fee. Get the LCD of DW-5030 instead. It's much clearer than that of DW-5600E.
    Thanks for the tip. I checked out a few threads about such an update and presume it's a straight swap?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information