DW-5600 for sale (should i have the battery replaced)

Thread: DW-5600 for sale (should i have the battery replaced)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

DW-5600 for sale (should i have the battery replaced)

So I have been cleaning out my stuff at my parents house recently and found my old G-Shock 901 DW-5600 in my sock drawer. The battery is dead and has never been replaced. I have had this watch for probably close to 20 years and haven't worn it in 15+.

I was looking to sell it. I will probably put it on ebay soon, but my question is should I have the battery replaced before listing it on ebay. It is what I think you call a screwback style watch where the whole back unscrews (but there are no actual screws). Anyways...

1) Should I have the battery replaced before selling?
    2) If yes, where should I have it replaced at, or how do I do it myself? (I want someone who would be familiar with this watch and not damage it).
    3) What size/type battery does it take?

4) Is there somewhere I can mail this into that can replace my battery?

I posted some high resolution pictures for you all to enjoy. If you are interested in purchasing the watch please PM me your best offer. http://picasaweb.google.com/11047109...eat=directlink
    Last edited by mrrebates; June 18th, 2010 at 16:35.

Re: DW-5600 for sale (should i have the battery replaced)

Quote Originally Posted by mrrebates View Post
    So I have been cleaning out my stuff at my parents house recently and found my old G-Shock 901 DW-5600 in my sock drawer. The battery is dead and has never been replaced. I have had this watch for probably close to 20 years and haven't worn it in 15+.

I was looking to sell it. I will probably put it on ebay soon, but my question is should I have the battery replaced before listing it on ebay. It is what I think you call a screwback style watch where the whole back unscrews (but there are no actual screws). Anyways...

2) If yes, where should I have it replaced at, or how do I do it myself? (I want someone who would be familiar with this watch and not damage it).
    1) Yes you should have it replaced to show interested buyers that it is working.
    2) If you have the right tool e.g. case-back opener for the screw-back, you can attempt replacing the battery. If not, I would take it to a shop to have it replaced. If possible, bring it to a G-Shock dealer.
    3) A 901 module uses CR2016 (see http://mygshock.com/wiki/Change_a_Battery)

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Yeah, replace the battery. Hopefully the one in it hasn't leaked a whole lot.

Josh

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for your replies. The only "dealer" from the G-shock website I found within 50 miles of Ann Arbor, MI is Macy's. Will someone at Macy's really know how to handle my vintage G-Shock?

Is there somewhere I could mail this into have it serviced? Any recommendations?

A million thanks to all of you who read this.

Quote Originally Posted by mrrebates View Post

Last edited by mrrebates; June 18th, 2010 at 03:25.

1. Why don't you sell it on this forum?
    2. I would not have Macy's do it, and I would not do it myself, but rather have someone professional do it, with official 20 bar water testing. (and ask them to put silicone grease on the gasket) Here is an address to where you can send it: http://www.casiowatchrepair.com/regular.asp
    Note: It's a bit pricey, but you know that you are getting the best service possible. Just add the cost onto the asking price, and then wait till you get that price.
    Last edited by Chacho; June 18th, 2010 at 03:52.

1) When it is in a condition to sell, I will post a link to the ebay listing.
    2) I appreciate your advice. That mail in service is really pricey!!! Is it really worth the investment? How much do you think this watch is really worth?

Quote Originally Posted by Chacho View Post
    1. Why don't you sell it on this forum?
    2. I would not have Macy's do it, and I would not do it myself, but rather have someone professional do it, with official 20 bar water testing. (and ask them to put silicone grease on the gasket) Here is an address to where you can send it: http://www.casiowatchrepair.com/regular.asp
    Note: It's a bit pricey, but you know that you are getting the best service possible. Just add the cost onto the asking price, and then wait till you get that price.

I bought a DW-5600 (DW-5600C-9V), three years ago, for US$70 plus US$15 shipping from Australia. The watch had only a couple specs on the crystal, and a couple specs on the screwback cover. It also came with a new strap and bezel installed. I paid an additional US$15 for a battery and gasket change, and had it done in person when I was in Los Angeles. That makes a total of US$70 + $15 + $15 = US$100. I considered that price cheap, and would have paid a little more, perhaps US$115 total.

Why don't you find a watchmaker in the yellow pages. Someone competent. I found one easily on US east coast once in a fairly rural area. The guy had hundreds of watches and clocks, and a work bench with thousands of watch parts laying around. I could tell the guy was competent right off the bat.
    Last edited by Chacho; June 18th, 2010 at 04:48.

What's up, neighbor? I'm in Howell, MI, and I have been to the Macy's of which you speak -- they are, with all due respect, unmitigated idiots. They do have a nice selection of new G's, but they know absolutely nothing about them (let alone how to change a battery). You would be better off going to a local jewelry store that sells watches -- most will change a battery for $5 or less.

If you are ever in Howell, go to The Gold Depot on Grand River and ask for "The Boss Man":

http://maps.google.com/maps/place?hl...28804222332750
    Last edited by link2derek; June 18th, 2010 at 04:47. Reason: linky
    D

Banned
    Brokeback Mountain, The Balkans, N. Korea, NY, The Middle East.....all the nice places on earth

Or you can do what I do and do the battery change yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by dimitribouras View Post
    Or you can do what I do and do the battery change yourself.
    Yes, but he doesn't have the tool to remove the screw-back. And that could pose a problem, eh?
    D

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information