DW-5600BB display appears to fade occasionally, reset to Jan 1st 2010
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By RHJones
  • 1 Post By MarkingTime

Thread: DW-5600BB display appears to fade occasionally, reset to Jan 1st 2010

Hi

My watch is model # DW-5600BB. This morning, I noticed it was reset to Jan 1st 2010 and the display read 12:38 when I looked at it. I assume it was reset to 12:00, and I noticed later on.

Sometimes, I notice the display on the watch starts to get dim and then it comes back up. For example, when I set the correct time today, the display was dimming out but when I pressed a button to make an adjustment, it looked fine. Also, sometimes the fading happens randomly, seems to weaken a little and then come back strong.

I suppose the obvious thing is the battery, but I've only had the watch for about a year and purchased it new. Maybe it was sitting on the shelf a few years, hence the 2010 reset date? How long would the battery typically last? This model in particular has a blacked out display, I guess you could call it a reverse LCD? Does this 'reverse' LCD consume battery faster?

I also rarely use any other features of the watch, hardly ever use the backlight, alarm, or stop watches. I'll just set the time every few months, it only differs by a few seconds, keeps good time.

Re: DW-5600BB display appears to fade occasionally, reset to Jan 1st 2010

I also have the same problem with my G9100 Gulfman. I was also thinking that it's the battery running out of juice, however, it's been 2 years since it's first dimming incident happened and it's still going. I hope there are some members who could shed some light to this phenomenon. :)
    I am worth more than any item in my watch box.

Sometimes, I notice the display on the watch starts to get dim and then it comes back up. For example, when I set the correct time today, the display was dimming out but when I pressed a button to make an adjustment, it looked fine. Also, sometimes the fading happens randomly, seems to weaken a little and then come back strong.
    Sound like the watch is faulty, and needs repair...

I suppose the obvious thing is the battery,
    It's not obvious IMHO- as you described, the display works if you press the buttons. If you own this watch for a year, and you did not excessively use the backlight or alarm, the battery should not be discharged. The reset date is programmed in the module, everytime the module is disconnected from the voltage source (battery change, for example) after that it will show 01-01-2010.
    slicknickns likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I had this happen to a g-9000 but it was after 3 years of use. When I used the backlight, flash or the alarm the display would go dim and a little while later it would reset or just turn off. Few minutes later it come back on again. If I waited a few hours to use the backlight it would dim but if I did it instantly it would reset. Changed the battery and it's been fine since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Vdubz; March 18th, 2014 at 01:39.

Sounds like a typical battery problem.
    Pelican likes this.

When you press the light button, would the display fade? if it is, it would be the battery.

some time some battery might have problem with its charge, either its an old stock or just plain faulty. hope its sorted soon buddy... i like DW-5600BB.

Quote Originally Posted by Iyonk View Post
    When you press the light button, would the display fade? if it is, it would be the battery.
    I haven't noticed it after pressing the light button. Although, I remember once after using the stopwatch, looked like the display almost went black for a second then came back up. Also, when reseting the time yesterday after it reset itself, the display faded a bit until I pressed a button, then it came back up.

Only other thing maybe worth mentioning is I've worn the watch a couple of times when operating a random orbital car polisher, maybe the vibrations did something? Didn't wear it for long, I just forgot I had it on and took it off after a few minutes I think. I don't recall this problem until after using the polisher with the watch on.

Guess I'll just keep an eye on it, if it gets worse I'll try having the battery changed. Are there any batteries that are better/last longer? Recommendations appreciated.

Really love this watch, I've looked at several G-shocks after buying it, even higher end ones, but couldn't find anything i would rather wear.

Quote Originally Posted by thebaj View Post
    I haven't noticed it after pressing the light button. Although, I remember once after using the stopwatch, looked like the display almost went black for a second then came back up. Also, when reseting the time yesterday after it reset itself, the display faded a bit until I pressed a button, then it came back up.

Only other thing maybe worth mentioning is I've worn the watch a couple of times when operating a random orbital car polisher, maybe the vibrations did something? Didn't wear it for long, I just forgot I had it on and took it off after a few minutes I think. I don't recall this problem until after using the polisher with the watch on.

Guess I'll just keep an eye on it, if it gets worse I'll try having the battery changed. Are there any batteries that are better/last longer? Recommendations appreciated.

Really love this watch, I've looked at several G-shocks after buying it, even higher end ones, but couldn't find anything i would rather wear.
    besides battery, it also might be contact problem between the battery and the holder... but the posibility is small.. sometime a simple AC reset might do the trick.

since your time reset to 2010 then you got the new module (3229). casio usually put great battery in it (panasonic CR2016), but still, sometime battery could be faulty or dont keep the charge.

i'm using Energizer cell (cr 2016 and cr 2032 for vibrating model) and they're great. maxell is also great, but my GB-5600 dont like maxell and got some issue with low batt indicator, ever since i put energizer the problem never return.

goodluck buddy.

Thread Information