DW-5600C Alarm Problem
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: DW-5600C Alarm Problem

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question DW-5600C Alarm Problem

Good day to all.
    Please help me in troubleshooting my DW-5600C (901). I just replaced the battery then the alarm is no longer audible.
    The alarm works but the sound is not loud enough, I have to hold it near to my ear in order for me to hear the beeping sound.
    The alarm spring is in place.
    I tried using a module from another a fully functional DW-5600C and put in the problematic watch's casing, but the alarm (beep) was still the same.
    I also tried putting the module from the problematic watch to the fully functional DW-5600c's casing. The beep produced an audible sound.
    I can say that both modules are OK, and that the problem might be the casing or the contacts on the crystal.
    What shall i do with the crystal casing? Is contact cleaner a good idea?
    Where is the piezo beeper of this watch?

Re: DW-5600C Alarm Problem

Did you do an AC reset when changing the battery?

"He's just a witness"

(Dedicated to the pink tiger stripe and the man behind it.)

Quote Originally Posted by Drop of a Hat View Post
    Did you do an AC reset when changing the battery?

"He's just a witness"
    Yes. The watch was not functioning after replacing the battery, but after doing the AC reset, the digits appeared. I already tried two RENATA batteries. I also measured the battery voltage using DC voltmeter and it's more than 3 volts.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

There is every chance that you have dislodged/lost the 'alarm spring' on the module.

Very easily done. I had EXACTLY the same thing happen a few years ago with a 'non-G'....
    Using Tapatalk

I have no idea what caused this but I had the same problem with one of my Pulsar PQ2003 - after a battery change the beep was barely audible - alarms spring was in place and I did a reset. I hope someone has a good idea - so maybe I can fix my Pulsar.

cheers, Sedi
    Cheers
    Sedi

Quote Originally Posted by Nurse.IT View Post
    Good day to all.
    Please help me in troubleshooting my DW-5600C (901). I just replaced the battery then the alarm is no longer audible.
    The alarm works but the sound is not loud enough, I have to hold it near to my ear in order for me to hear the beeping sound.
    The alarm spring is in place.
    I tried using a module from another a fully functional DW-5600C and put in the problematic watch's casing, but the alarm (beep) was still the same.
    I also tried putting the module from the problematic watch to the fully functional DW-5600c's casing. The beep produced an audible sound.
    I can say that both modules are OK, and that the problem might be the casing or the contacts on the crystal.
    What shall i do with the crystal casing? Is contact cleaner a good idea?
    Where is the piezo beeper of this watch?
    The beeper is on the back of the crystal (two rectangular strips). The modules are fine. Your problem is with the backside of your crystal. It can get worn down with time and maybe the wiggling around to change the battery was what finally killed it. If it is the contact area where the spring connects that is the problem maybe some double sided carbon tape or a small piece of metal will help it make contact.
    nigelw likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kung-fusion View Post
    The beeper is on the back of the crystal (two rectangular strips). The modules are fine. Your problem is with the backside of your crystal. It can get worn down with time and maybe the wiggling around to change the battery was what finally killed it. If it is the contact area where the spring connects that is the problem maybe some double sided carbon tape or a small piece of metal will help it make contact.
    Is it possible to change the beeper (2 rectangular strips)? Is there a way to check if the beeper is really the problem, without putting the module inside?

Quote Originally Posted by Nurse.IT View Post
    Is it possible to change the beeper (2 rectangular strips)? Is there a way to check if the beeper is really the problem, without putting the module inside?
    You cannot change the beeper, you would need to replace the whole crystal. There are ways to test the beeper (nothing I can explain in a simple post), but the problem is most likely the contact where the spring touches the backside of the crystal (between the beepers). This part of the crystal tends to get worn down the easiest, and causes the little delamination spot that is so common on vintage squares. One thing you might try is putting the module in upside down. I have never tried this, but it might be a way to test if the spring contact is the issue.

near Manhattan... Status: Changing course, hard about

I'm rather certain that vintage screwback G-Shocks do not have alarm springs that can fall out or become dislodged -- they are prongs extending up from the module surface on an angle, unlike the tiny springs you see in the 4-screw back plate G-Shocks. You might be able to turn the back plate very slightly counter clockwise from the sealed position in order for the prongs to make contact in a different position on the speaker. If the audible level changes, then you know it's the wearing of the contact spots on the speaker. If you're having problem making contact, you might want to bend the prong upward a little to remedy that -- they can flatten a bit over time and not make good contact against the speaker.

I really wish there was an affordable way to obtain replacement piezo speakers, but I've looked a number of times and never found any. I wonder if anyone on this forum has replaced one and if it worked out OK. Sometimes you can find NOS back plates for G-Shock watches and they usually come with the piezo speaker glued on.
    Last edited by xevious; April 25th, 2014 at 18:06.
    nigelw likes this.
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

Quote Originally Posted by xevious View Post
    I'm rather certain that vintage screwback G-Shocks do not have alarm springs that can fall out or become dislodged -- they are prongs extending up from the module surface on an angle, unlike the tiny springs you see in the 4-screw back plate G-Shocks. You might be able to turn the back plate very slightly counter clockwise from the sealed position in order for the prongs to make contact in a different position on the speaker. If the audible level changes, then you know it's the wearing of the contact spots on the speaker. If you're having problem making contact, you might want to bend the prong upward a little to remedy that -- they can flatten a bit over time and not make good contact against the speaker.

I really wish there was an affordable way to obtain replacement piezo speakers, but I've looked a number of times and never found any. I wonder if anyone on this forum has replaced one and if it worked out OK. Sometimes you can find NOS back plates for G-Shock watches and they usually come with the piezo speaker glued on.
    They have prongs and a spring. Both are necessary to make the sound. If the spring falls out or bends, then no sound.

EDIT: Also, on vintage screwbacks, the alarm spring and prongs are on the front of the module, and the piezo beeper is on the backside of the crystal, not the caseback. On modern G-shocks, the speaker is on the underside of the caseback.
    Last edited by kung-fusion; April 25th, 2014 at 19:51.
    doomguy10011 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information