DW-5600E really only 2 year battery life?
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: DW-5600E really only 2 year battery life?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question DW-5600E really only 2 year battery life?

Is this spec from Casio's website correct? That the battery life for the DW-5600E is only about 2 years?!

http://www.casio.com/products/Timepi...ck/DW5600E-1V/

With some of Casio's watches, including some G-Shocks achieving 10 year battery life (including non-solar), it seems a bit of a sham to offer this classic style DW-5600E today with a battery that does not achieve that original Triple 10 criteria. But, maybe the DW-5600 was developed before Casio introduced the 10 year battery life models?

This makes me kind of reconsider getting a DW-5600E.

Maybe the 2 year battery lifetime is just a typo?

What has been your experience with the battery life on the DW-5600E?
    regards,
    James
    | GW-9010-1; Mudman Rally Timer; August 22, 2012 | GS-1150-1; Giez; 2011 | DW-9700NC-8T; Helly Hansen; Sept 20, 2010 | G-8000F-9DR; Sept 18, 2010 | GW-9200; Riseman; June 29, 09 | DW-1000: pre-G; orig 1982; refurb Sept, 06 | GL-150-8v; ~2001 | G-7000D-8v; ~2000 | G-5600J; RECOVER plagued | G-8000F-4DR; Feb 26, 2007 | Giez GS-1001-7ADR; Jan 3, 2008 | three data bank calculators | BG-148; ~2000 |

Re: DW-5600E really only 2 year battery life?

usually they last much longer than the advertised battery life, unless you are a heavy EL user.

most of my battery operated G-Shocks with EL (the ones that i wear, not the safe queens) usually last in excess of 4 - 5 years easily.

and even if you have to change battery, say every 3 years. you can easily do a DIY battery change, spend [less than] a couple of bucks on a CR2016, clean and lightly grease the case back seal and carefully seal everything up (make sure the seal sit nice and tight). i am pretty sure the DW5600E will last you a long long time.

if you are a very heavy alarm/EL/chrono user, go with the tough solar model (G5600/G2300/G23100 to name a few with good chrono/timer feature) to get your money worth

[QUOTE=jmathis]Is this spec from Casio's website correct? That the battery life for the DW-5600E is only about 2 years?!

With some of Casio's watches, including some G-Shocks achieving 10 year battery life (including non-solar), it seems a bit of a sham to offer this classic style DW-5600E today with a battery that does not achieve that original Triple 10 criteria. But, maybe the DW-5600 was developed before Casio introduced the 10 year battery life models?

The 10 yr technology is kina new and that is a old design so I wouldn't expect it to be upgraded to the 10 yr battery just IMHO but IMO 2 yrs is not all that bad considering they mean when using a LOT of alarms and such everyday ! most likely its 3 to 4 yrs under NORMAL folks use again IMHO

and a battery is cheap and easy to replace I don't see the big deal but then thats me !

If battery life is that important to you maybe you should consider finding one of the atomic solar 5600J models ! just a thought
    Last edited by pipes; September 7th, 2006 at 00:25.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

[quote=pipes]
    Quote Originally Posted by jmathis
    Is this spec from Casio's website correct? That the battery life for the DW-5600E is only about 2 years?!

The 10 yr technology is kina new and that is a old design so I wouldn't expect it to be upgraded to the 10 yr battery just IMHO but IMO 2 yrs is not all that bad considering they mean when using a LOT of alarms and such everyday ! most likely its 3 to 4 yrs under NORMAL folks use again IMHO

and a battery is cheap and easy to replace I don't see the big deal but then thats me !

If battery life is that important to you maybe you should consider finding one of the atomic solar 5600J models ! just a thought
    Thanks for the comments! I did get the G-5600J. And, it looks like I'll have to do a battery exchange on teh G-5600J anyway. (Again, thanks to Leon for sending me a CTL1616).
    regards,
    James
    | GW-9010-1; Mudman Rally Timer; August 22, 2012 | GS-1150-1; Giez; 2011 | DW-9700NC-8T; Helly Hansen; Sept 20, 2010 | G-8000F-9DR; Sept 18, 2010 | GW-9200; Riseman; June 29, 09 | DW-1000: pre-G; orig 1982; refurb Sept, 06 | GL-150-8v; ~2001 | G-7000D-8v; ~2000 | G-5600J; RECOVER plagued | G-8000F-4DR; Feb 26, 2007 | Giez GS-1001-7ADR; Jan 3, 2008 | three data bank calculators | BG-148; ~2000 |

It's a result of a much more powerful light (Illuminator) with the same existing battery power.

If you used the light enough, you could make it a lot shorter than 2 years.

[QUOTE=jmathis]
    Quote Originally Posted by pipes

Thanks for the comments! I did get the G-5600J. And, it looks like I'll have to do a battery exchange on teh G-5600J anyway. (Again, thanks to Leon for sending me a CTL1616).
    Just wonfering WHY you would need to change the battery in the new watch already ! as the bad batch a those is long gone ???:-S

[quote=pipes]

Just wonfering WHY you would need to change the battery in the new watch already ! as the bad batch a those is long gone ???:-S
    I got it on eBay a few weeks ago. Seller said he only wore it for a couple of hours. When it arrived, it looked brand new, except for a bit of white-ish stuff in the crevices of the band contours and under the watch band big grooves near the hinge-pin.

Maybe the seller had it for a while, but never wore it, and finally decided to sell it on eBay? Maybe the seller had suffered the poor CTL1616 performance, then stopped wearing the watch, and finally decided it wasn't worth keeping? I don't know.

I've been reporting my experience with the G-5600J in another thread. In summary, the watch sometimes just goes into RECOVERY mode at the touch of the MODE or EL button-- not necessarily after repeated alarms or EL operations. Before I realized that I was potentially harming the CTL1616 cell, I had been testing multiple alarms one right after the other. I even activated the EL light in quick succession for 26 times, and the watch didn't go into RECOVERY. But, before this, the watch had been periodically just going into RECOVERY with one EL light button press after several hours of not pushing any buttons or activating any alarms. Now, today, the G-5600J went from Full-Charge indicated into single-bar flashing with the display turned off in about 30 minutes. I never noticed the charge-bars decreasing in levels-- it just shut off. After exposing the watch to outdoor sunlight for about 15 minutes, the LCD displays came back on.

I sure hope it is the CTL1616 cell and not some other circuit problem.

I stopped by Wal-Mart tonight after work.
    Checked out the DW-5600E again.
    Nice watch.
    Clear display; unclutter.
    I like that it shows the current time in both countdown and stopwatch modes.
    That you can set the countdown timer in terms of individual seconds.
    I thought it nifty that the EL light can be set to flash when the countdown timer chimes.
    I also took note that the LCD display is closer to the surface of the watch face since it doesn't have the solar panel layer. That seems to make the viewing angle of the watch a little greater-- which can be nice.

The DW-5600E seems a real good beater-watch. Rugged, industrial.
    I like it.
    Now, to figure out why this Wal-Mart wanted $50 for the DW-5600E when I would swear that another Wal-Mart I went to had it regularly priced at $40. I need to double check that $40 price.
    Last edited by jmathis; September 7th, 2006 at 05:18.
    regards,
    James

Is this spec from Casio's website correct? That the battery life for the DW-5600E is only about 2 years?! [...] This makes me kind of reconsider getting a DW-5600E.
    Remember this is Casio's cheap-and-cheerful entry-level G that sells in Asia for well under €50 EUR. Casio don't even supply dealers with a box for this model (it ships in a plastic bag with a display tag and a user manual, which is why many dealers don't bother stocking them any more).

lau

I got it on eBay a few weeks ago. Seller said he only wore it for a couple of hours. When it arrived, it looked brand new, except for a bit of white-ish stuff in the crevices of the band contours and under the watch band big grooves near the hinge-pin.

Maybe the seller had it for a while, but never wore it, and finally decided to sell it on eBay? Maybe the seller had suffered the poor CTL1616 performance, then stopped wearing the watch, and finally decided it wasn't worth keeping? I don't know.

I've been reporting my experience with the G-5600J in another thread. In summary, the watch sometimes just goes into RECOVERY mode at the touch of the MODE or EL button-- not necessarily after repeated alarms or EL operations. Before I realized that I was potentially harming the CTL1616 cell, I had been testing multiple alarms one right after the other. I even activated the EL light in quick succession for 26 times, and the watch didn't go into RECOVERY. But, before this, the watch had been periodically just going into RECOVERY with one EL light button press after several hours of not pushing any buttons or activating any alarms. Now, today, the G-5600J went from Full-Charge indicated into single-bar flashing with the display turned off in about 30 minutes. I never noticed the charge-bars decreasing in levels-- it just shut off. After exposing the watch to outdoor sunlight for about 15 minutes, the LCD displays came back on.

I sure hope it is the CTL1616 cell and not some other circuit problem.

I stopped by Wal-Mart tonight after work.
    Checked out the DW-5600E again.
    Nice watch.
    Clear display; unclutter.
    I like that it shows the current time in both countdown and stopwatch modes.
    That you can set the countdown timer in terms of individual seconds.
    I thought it nifty that the EL light can be set to flash when the countdown timer chimes.
    I also took note that the LCD display is closer to the surface of the watch face since it doesn't have the solar panel layer. That seems to make the viewing angle of the watch a little greater-- which can be nice.

The DW-5600E seems a real good beater-watch. Rugged, industrial.
    I like it.
    Now, to figure out why this Wal-Mart wanted $50 for the DW-5600E when I would swear that another Wal-Mart I went to had it regularly priced at $40. I need to double check that $40 price.
    I think you're checking out the DW-5600E because of some 80s nostalgia, you wanted one then (), and you didn't get it.
    I think you should buy it. I bought one for this reason for about $30 (try a quick internet search).
    Even better, you could try to buy your friend's old DW-5600C, the very famous "speed" gshock.

Lau

The 10-year battery life concept is actually quite old...

Aloha,

As others have mentioned, the original G-Shock (that would be the DW5000) was designed to achieve the "Triple Ten" goal of the Casio design team -- 10 bar (100 meter) water resistance, withstand a 10 meter freefall, and a 10-year battery life. The successive models (DW5200 and DW5600C) maintained the battery life goal. All used a tiny bulb which provided light from the side of the display (not anywhere near as bright as the current electroluminescent (EL) panels). It was with the introduction of the DW5600E in June 1996 with its EL backlighting which uses so much more battery power that the rated life went down to two years. There are newer Casio watches (which I think use a LED backlight) that again have a 10-year battery life. I don't know if there is a G-Shock with a 10-year rating.

Those old G-Shocks could last a great deal longer than 10 years, if the light and alarm was not used. I don't exactly know how long my DW5200's battery lasted, because I don't ever remember replacing it. At very least, it was at least 16 - 17 years, and I now have to replace it again.

Mahalo,

andy
    [quote=pipes]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information