I decided to start a new thread for this DW-5600HR mod rather than posting it in the custom squares thread since this is going to be a bit lengthy and with lots of images. I got the idea to customize a DW-5600HR to have red numerals from an image I found on social media from a SE Asian G-SHOCK modder/seller. F17 fellow square enthusiast acadian encouraged me to make this mod happen and offered advice throughout the process. Thanks to acadian for the push and also thanks to kevio for the LCD advice. Before this mod could happen I had to source some colored polarizer film. A cursory Google search yielded no results. Colored gel filters are plentiful as are standard monochrome polarizer films, but colored polarizer films did not seem to be anywhere. I searched past F17 threads and found K&L's project where he cannibalized blue polarizer film from a parts watch (a blue 8900). Feel free to visit that thread and some similar linked threads:
Thanks to K&L for paving the way for fun mods like this.
So what I found is that aside from reaching out to a couple of users who at one time could source colored polarizer films, I was out of luck at the moment. I took a deeper dive searching Google results and happened upon an AliExpress seller out of China. I took a chance and ordered two sheets of red polarizer film and two sheets of blue totaling around $30.00usd shipped. About two weeks later the sheets arrived and they are huge! Each sheet is roughly 9x11 inches.
Sidenote: I happened upon this 'gshock highfashion' video about how to perform colored polarizer film mods and in the comments section he links the same AliExpress seller.
On to the project:
^My brand new DW-5600HR deconstructed and ready for surgery
^The beautiful OE Casio negative display module that I hope I don't ruin
^Module with the red polarizer film resting over it to show the intended result (red numerals)
^Red polarizer film adhered on top of the OE polarizer film on the module. Numerals look great, but the overall result is not perfect. What I found is that the adhesive on the back of the red polarizer film was not as sticky as I needed it to be. In this image you can see that the adhesive is not completely tacked down on the bottom edge, the top edge, and a small part of the left edge. This is 4th(!) attempt I had at this and I am satisfied *enough* with this result, especially compared to the prior 3 attempts that yielded garbage outcomes.
Attempt #1: I cut the red polarizer film to be slightly smaller than the existing OE polarizer film so that (I hoped) the red film would fit inside the LCD and the adhesive would stick flat without bubbles or peeling. Well that first attempt failed. Despite being a great fit, the adhesive did not bond edge-to-edge so the peeling was very visible.
Attempt #2: I cut the red polarized film to the EXACT dimensions of the LCD. Similar outcome. The edges were better, but the adhesive still did not tack down edge-to-edge. So I once again scraped the red polarizer film off, cleaned the LCD, and cut another piece of red polarizer film.
Attempt #3: This time I cut the red polarizer film to be *bigger* than the LCD in hopes that the peeling effect would happen around the outer edge of the LCD and would not be visible. Fail. Similar outcome, the peeling was inside the edge of the LCD and it looked pretty bad. AND the film was hanging over the edge of the LCD. Scrape it off, clean again, and cut another piece.
Attempt #4: I cut the red polarizer film to be just a little bit outside of the LCD. This seemed to be a happy medium and while certainly not ideal, I can live with it. Especially since this was the 4th attempt and I was getting tired of this dance.
I may eventually take this apart and try again at fitting the red polarizer film onto the LCD. A better method is likely to take the LCD out of the module housing. I intentionally did not do it that way because I wanted to see the live digits powered by the battery. Now that I know this method works I might fix it eventually. However...
^Once I seated the module into the case center, the portions of the peeled adhesive were not visible. Problem is no longer there if it cannot be seen, right?
^Trio of negative display squares with various shades of red numerals.
Left: DW-5600HR Vampire Edition -- Center: DW-5600CL -- Right: DW-5600MS
Thanks for reading.
--Bonus polarizer film references--
Here are some images I captured throughout the process that show various displays with the colored polarizer films:
^Positive display 5600E with OE polarizer film and red polarizer film resting over it
^Positive display 5600E with OE polarizer film and blue polarizer film resting over it
^5600E LCD with OE polarizer film removed and blue/red polarizer film resting over it. Each image is polarizer film orientation vertical then horizontal for each respective polarizer film color (blue, then red). I apologize for the state of the LCD. I captured these haphazard images before I cleaned the remaining OE polarizer film bits off the LCD. The 3rd image, red background with white/silver numerals, is a poor man's DW-5635C.