DW-5600MS *XL*
Like Tree8Likes
  • 6 Post By the1hatman
  • 1 Post By Mike K
  • 1 Post By the1hatman

Thread: DW-5600MS *XL*

Picture DW-5600MS *XL*

I recently scored a GREAT deal on a DW-5600MS. I had purchased one before but it was well worn and a bit beat up so I used it as parts for 2 mods. This time I wanted to keep it original for the most part but with 1 small change. I am a total sucker for squares with the band extenders and wider straps. When my 5200 Hero finally succumbed to resin rot around 1999, the replacement I found was the DW-5600EB-1. This also came in gray and blue versions and all had the extenders and 22mm straps. I was instantly in love with how the end pieces and larger bands gave the 5600 a bigger look without making it raise too far off the wrist.

So I decided to take my new DW-5600MS and change out the basic strap for the same one used on the DW-5600EB-1. Can't honestly call this a mod since it is really just a band swap...
    Name:  01.jpg
Views: 409
Size:  135.8 KB

The end pieces make the 5600 series appear larger than they really are...
    Name:  02.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  247.0 KB

It is only a subtle change but gives any 5600 a larger presence on the wrist...
    Name:  06.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  182.9 KB

The only real changes are the addition of the extenders and swapping out the original silver buckle for black MS version...
    Name:  04.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  130.5 KB

The end result has the effect of being a stealthy version of the original EB series...
    Name:  03.jpg
Views: 399
Size:  191.5 KB

This can be done for any 5600 model and end pieces (or band extenders) already exist in a variety of colors...
    Name:  07.jpg
Views: 399
Size:  99.5 KB

Now if only they had made a flat black stealth King!
    Chrisek, Iyonk, etejut and 3 others like this.

Re: DW-5600MS *XL*

where do you buy those straps ? it seems so nice - I want to try that -

PacParts carries the end pieces in black and they may have some of the other colors as well. I was able to find the extenders and strap you see here on the bay for less than $20 total. If you already have a 5600 you'd like to try this with, it is a very simple and inexpensive swap. TikTox may have these parts as well. I know they carry the yellow version of the strap as seen in the bottom picture. I have seen various color combinations of the strap on the bay as well.

I am thinking about trying out some bullbars on this MS also if I can find a set in good shape for a decent price.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by etejut View Post
    where do you buy those straps ? it seems so nice - I want to try that -
    Search this G-Shock forum for "adapters" -- or better yet, put "site: forums.watchuseek.com/f17 adapters" into Google, minus the " marks -- and you'll find MANY threads about these "cover/end pieces" that allow the use of Zulu-type nylon straps, SOME NATO straps, and the velcro straps that were the original bands on some Glide models.

You can get the adapters through PacParts, TikTox, eBay, and there are a couple of VERY recent threads about how people are using Shapeways and 3D printing technology to make other, similar strap adapters out of different materials including metal.
    the1hatman likes this.

I didn't know that they have the yellow and white in the ED series. Are those from GLide likes the red one?

Nice mod too. I like DW5600MS. Its stealth is a nicely done.

Quote Originally Posted by GShockMe View Post
    I didn't know that they have the yellow and white in the EB series. Are those from GLide likes the red one?

Nice mod too. I like DW5600MS. Its stealth is a nicely done.
    The white one is a Glide, the GLS-5600V-7 to be exact. The yellow one is the GW-M5600A-9 as seen here.

The EB series only had black, blue and grey as seen here. The yellow and white bands you see in my post are from the DW-9000 series which use the exact same band but had other colors. I know I have seen the band in all red as well. There are other versions of the 22mm strap as well like the Triple Crown surfing models. Any will work with these adaptors. I am also fairly certain the end pieces and straps will work on all standard 6900's too but one of our expert 6900 owners will have to confirm that here.
    GShockMe likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by the1hatman View Post
    There are other versions of the 22mm strap as well like the Triple Crown surfing models. Any will work with these adaptors. I am also fairly certain the end pieces and straps will work on all standard 6900's too but one of our expert 6900 owners will have to confirm that here.
    Cool. Good to know there are other colors out there.

I think the adapters will work with 6900. The 3rd party strap adapters which are very similar to the EB's work on both. Even resin straps and bracelet are exchangeable.

Thread Information