Dw-5900 Bezel

Thread: Dw-5900 Bezel

Dw-5900 Bezel

Hi

I just got a dw5900 and a 6600 from a fellow who is an Army Ranger and he used them well and hard in many countries. Both run like they should and I'm happy with that. I presented my Dad(himself a former Marine) with the 6600 and kept the 5900 for myself.
    Problem with the 5900 is the BEZEL was so dry that it had cracks at all the areas it gets screwed to case. Then after doing a battery change today the disturbance made the whole protecting bezel crumble into 3-4 pieces. Not gluable at all. I tried!

I looked all day online for a replacement bezel with no luck.

I am hoping some kind person has a decent 5900 parts watch with a healthy bezel to share please?

This 5900 has a lot of provenance and runs great so I would hate to not respect it by fixing it.

Thanks everybody!

Laughing Re: Dw-5900 Bezel

Have you tried calling www.casiosalesandservice.com yet?

Cheers,

Sj:-DrS
    There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Bezoek ook eens het Nederlandstalige WUS forum: Kaliber 2010

Re: Dw-5900 Bezel

Thanks but that DW5900 model is old now and the parts are discontinued...basically saying, yes, I already exhausted the obvious retail sources in regard to parts allocation for this piece.

This will have to be a well cared for used part. I'm sure I'll find it over time. Thanks again

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

buddha-g

This brings up one downside of G-Shock collecting - over time, parts availability can become a serious problem. I suppose nothing lasts forever and Casio can't be expected to produce parts for every single model released over the years, but it somehow seems a real shame a good vintage watch in working order can't more easily be brought back to "like new". In the end, only the seldom if ever worn G's become collectors items because of their condition and that's a shame, too. A good watch should be worn (all the better to show off!) and not be just a "museum piece". :-D

Quote Originally Posted by buddha-g
    This brings up one downside of G-Shock collecting - over time, parts availability can become a serious problem. I suppose nothing lasts forever and Casio can't be expected to produce parts for every single model released over the years, but it somehow seems a real shame a good vintage watch in working order can't more easily be brought back to "like new". In the end, only the seldom if ever worn G's become collectors items because of their condition and that's a shame, too. A good watch should be worn (all the better to show off!) and not be just a "museum piece". :-D
    I agree!

I have less trouble sourcing parts for my 1970s Seikos and this casio is from 1990! I think big plastic based material is a great choice for protection but poor toward longtime ownership. Why casio doesn't have at least a basic shroud to replace damaged bezels is beyond me.

I would venture to say these watches are inexpensive for most models and casio is a company wanting waste end product as far as their watches. If I don't find a shroud, I wear to death or give a friend this 590o without shroud til it is broke and after, throw in trash.

Just last night I paid $40 for a DW6600 at WalMart! Cheap huh?

Too bad the parts aren't there...it is a catch22...as collectible as you would like them to be some of these things aren't worth the money of the parts to repair them. It is a shame for a watch of provenance(this 5900) but the man(from whom I received it) obviously didn't care for its history with him so why should I? Maybe it will be worth more later for its module if I keep in good shape and still have it years from now for a casio collector.

Try contacting Katsu Higuchi (the guy everybody raves about on the Seiko forum because he simply can get great stuff :) )

He is also able to track down casio parts. I had him get me a bezel for a DW-6500(has not been made in about 10yrs)

BTW i have the DW-5900 and it is a great watch
    Cheers
    Leon

Quote Originally Posted by Leon Eckell
    Try contacting Katsu Higuchi (the guy everybody raves about on the Seiko forum because he simply can get great stuff :) )

He is also able to track down casio parts. I had him get me a bezel for a DW-6500(has not been made in about 10yrs)

BTW i have the DW-5900 and it is a great watch
    Cheers
    Leon
    Thanks Leon

I know of Mr. Higuchi, but I hear he is difficult to reach. Do you have an email for him, please? I would like to give him a try. Tomorrow I will call the casio repair facility in NJ USA and see if I may talk with a service rep. If I am going to pay too much to even source a bezel for this piece(it can use a new crystal too) I am better off finding a finer example 5900 for sale online for less than to recover this tired one. I can keep the fine working module for a back up.

I like this 5900 too. I like dual time and alarm is fairly loud.

Thanks again for the info

Well, this is my DW5900 after 14 years of storage, it was my very first G-shock purchase:

Thread Information