DW-6400 (Gundam) Restoration. Help needed (pics heavy)

Thread: DW-6400 (Gundam) Restoration. Help needed (pics heavy)

Picture DW-6400 (Gundam) Restoration. Help needed (pics heavy)

First of all, would like to thank a wus member for the watch, Thanks Peter.
    (no nicks here, won't want anyone to disturb the good fellow for watches.)

so here we have another DW-6400 which i hope can be "restored"
    i have replaced the keeper but still need some advise to the other parts, in fact any advise would be welcomed.

so here goes (mobile phone pics):

overall the watch is in pretty good shape. The straps and wrist guards are still good. the resin part of the watch case have some wear on em but doesn't really bother me (can't say that for everyone as acceptance level is very different) and i dun think i will be able to replace the resin or shave it down??

closer look at the wear and the "G". the "G" seems to be painted over or ??

it's missing a back case screw, should not have any problem replacing this

the module is in pretty good condition as i was informed that it had been cleaned up, so i won't be touching this.

here is supposedly our real issue, the glass. does anyone know how many piece of glass/plastic is inside? there seems to be a face plate with plastic and the glass is on the watch case....i can't remove it

faceplate? seems glued up

any advise would be helpful.

by the way, the original intention of the member of this watch is for me to have the parts after seeing my own gundam's resin crumble but somehow i think this is in better condition then mine, probably will have a better chance restoring this. will send back the watch if i can manage to restore this.

i'll try to get a star bit screw soon for the front case screw to see if i can remove the resin parts from the metal

Re: DW-6400 (Gundam) Restoration. Help needed (pics heavy)

It kills me how Casio must have the mold dies for these crumbling resin parts. Wouldn't it be brilliant if they periodically did small production runs for 'old skool' enthusiasts!

Best of luck with your restoration. Resin definitely ages faster in hotter parts of the world, I still have some DW-8XXX's (3 left, one in bits) which will be roughly the same age as your watch and they don't show any resin rot as of yet but sure it will come some day.

I've transferred my obsession to the King range now. At 48 years old they should see me out!

Couldn't agree more. Also they should keep up the DW-5000 thru 5600C bezel/strap production as well. From a recent post about the service center trying to keep a customer's 5600C and send him a 5600E instead. Things do not sound good. Alas -Ronbo

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I like to restore watches, but only if I can bring them to like new condition. If I got that watch I would consider it a lost cause and not waste time with it. I would salvage what parts are perfect (the module looks good, maybe the screws are good too?) and not worry about the rest. Then again, everyone has different tolerances for what is acceptable, as you say.

Quote Originally Posted by carrot View Post
    Wouldn't it be brilliant if they periodically did small production runs for 'old skool' enthusiasts!
    that would be a really nice idea if the mould are still available.

Quote Originally Posted by ronbo View Post
    Couldn't agree more. Also they should keep up the DW-5000 thru 5600C bezel/strap production as well. From a recent post about the service center trying to keep a customer's 5600C and send him a 5600E instead. Things do not sound good. Alas -Ronbo
    the 5600c (gold) bezel and strap combo are more expensive now then what i paid for my 5600c haha

Quote Originally Posted by kung-fusion View Post
    I like to restore watches, but only if I can bring them to like new condition. If I got that watch I would consider it a lost cause and not waste time with it. I would salvage what parts are perfect (the module looks good, maybe the screws are good too?) and not worry about the rest. Then again, everyone has different tolerances for what is acceptable, as you say.
    yup, this watch seems lost, let me figure out how i can make one 'complete' watch from parts of 2 watches.
    screws are still alright. will give the parts supplier a visit when my strap for 3000m arrive and see if they have the screws or 'compatible' screws i could use.

Thread Information