DW-6600 death by water.
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By postur
  • 1 Post By Buzzbait

Thread: DW-6600 death by water.

DW-6600 death by water.

Got this DW-6600 for free from a friend of mine, I knew the watch was not operational after getting flooded, but all I needed was a button.

I assumed that some rescue attempts had been made after the flooding, like opening the watch and attempts to dry it out but.........

When I opened the watch the movement and movement holder were rusted as well as rust on various other places in the watch.

The fault was obviously that the gasket was not correctly seated when the watch had been closed after a battery replacement.

Fortunately I did not pay anything for this, but I wanted to share the concequences of water and time on the insides of a G-Shock.

I can use the button, but as far as the watch goes I don't even think that Kung-fusion could save this one

Name:  Screen Shot 2014-01-27 at 19.07.50.jpg
Views: 457
Size:  182.3 KB

Name:  Screen Shot 2014-01-27 at 19.07.57.jpg
Views: 454
Size:  264.7 KB

Re: DW-6600 death by water.

Nasty. Thanks for sharing!

That's why it's not recomended to swim with vintage watches

Seems like the water was inside for quite a while, rust doesn't appear in an hour. Good that it still can be used for parts, atleast something good came from this situation.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Wow. Wicked trashed!!!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    chuckee98 likes this.

I might indeed have a DW 6600 module which is fine apart from the Polarizatrion film coming off on top. IŽm not sure if I still have it - If you are interested in saving the watch, IŽll have a look.

Ouch -- a good reminder of why it's a good idea to take the back off a watch and dry it out if water finds its way inside!

I have a DW-5600E that leaked twice, but it still looks fine on the inside.

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech View Post
    I might indeed have a DW 6600 module which is fine apart from the Polarizatrion film coming off on top. IŽm not sure if I still have it - If you are interested in saving the watch, IŽll have a look.
    Thanks but unfortunately I was looking over the watch in detail, and found that the threading in the case where the case back screws go into the case are worn out, and the case back can't be fastened well enough because of that.

Too bad, but thanks for asking :)
    Last edited by postur; January 27th, 2014 at 23:59.

Thanks for sharing, always interesting to get a good look at the insides of any G :)

I had a completely flooded MTG-910D again due to a battery change attempt by the previous owner resulting in a misaligned gasket... but I managed to save it and it's alive and kicking again only with one slight disability - the tilt sensor died meaning no auto EL :/ I guess your pics show just how much serious damage the water can cause - but saying that I still believe Gs to be incredibly resilient. I had to completely disassemble and reassemble the MTG to revive it (which was also a great learning experience!), but I did it pretty much within a day of the flooding... I guess this DW-6600 looks beyond resuscitation! Had you found it a bit earlier it may have been able to revive it :)

Quote Originally Posted by postur View Post
    Thanks but unfortunately I was looking over the watch in detail, and found that the threading in the case where the case back screws go into the case are worn out, and the case back can't be fastened well enough because of that.

Too bad, but thanks for asking :)
    I think it's possible to fill the holes and redrill the threads.

cheers, Sedi
    Cheers
    Sedi

No worries,bro, that'll all buff right out !!

Thread Information