DW-6600 Question

Thread: DW-6600 Question

DW-6600 Question

Last weekend I went swimming in the ocean as I have many times before with my circa-1994 DW-6600. I noticed after leaving the water that the display showed only the seconds bar and the bar above it. The LCD time and date display had disappeared. I assume that the case gasket had finally deteriorated to the point it let in water. I have probably replaced the battery maybe 6 times. I've already won and received a nice, like new replacement from eBay. Is there any way to prevent this happening again save from replacing the gasket at every battery change? A jeweler tried to tell me that once you open the case these watches are no longer considered "water resistant". I love my new watch, but am almost afraid to let it get wet. By the way, the new one must be some sort of special edition as it has what's called an orange "foxfire" illumination button in place of the usual gray button. It also says "fox fire" on the bezel above the button.

Fox fire just means it was a JDM release. Not really anything special.

As for water resistance, change and lube the gaskets every time the battery is changed, make sure the back plate is properly screwed back on, and you should be ready to go.

Sent via Tapatalk

(Dedicated to the pink tiger stripe and the man behind it.)

Re: DW-6600 Question

I would just get a 2nd G for everyday swimming etc. Once my G has a battery change, I no longer take it in the water. I learned that one the hard way.

Brave Rifles! Veterans!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I have many second hand Gs and some "older" ones which I've changed the battery in. I have probably opened up 75% of all the Gs I've ever owned and I have never had a problem with water resistance. And trust me, I'm not careful around water. I'm not afraid to take any of them into the lake or pool. As for the gasket, it's not necessary to replace it every time you change the battery, but check it's condition. I lube mine if they appear to be dry, but if I can still see some moisture in them I don't bother. I think the most important thing is to make sure it doesn't have any tears in it and to make sure it's aligned properly in it's groove. My oldest Gs date back to about 1994 or 1995 and I have never replaced a gasket.
    Hook 'Em!!

"One who is good at making excuses is seldom good at anything else." ---- A. Wiseman

LUW

Quote Originally Posted by Drop of a Hat View Post
    As for water resistance, change and lube the gaskets every time the battery is changed, make sure the back plate is properly screwed back on, and you should be ready to go.
    Honestly, if you're changing batteries in less then 5 years I don't think this is really necessary.
    Cheers!
    Luciano

Thanks to everyone who replied. I was shocked (no pun intended) as this was the first time I had ever had a problem with water and I've owned 4 or 5 g-shocks. I'll probably just check and lube the gasket as suggested and may buy a spare to keep on hand. I was lazy and had a jeweler replace the last battery and he either didn't notice the condition of the gasket or perhaps it was not seated properly in the groove. I've got a cheaper DW5600E on the way and I'll probably just wear that one when I'm swimming.

Quote Originally Posted by nitewulf View Post
    I was lazy and had a jeweler replace the last battery and he either didn't notice the condition of the gasket or perhaps it was not seated properly in the groove.
    This seems to be the common factor with leaking G-Shocks, I might do a full investigation into this by searching the forum for similar incidents and seeing if they had someone else change the battery but I would be confident in saying that the majority of leaking G-Shocks seem to be ones where the owner didn't do the battery change themselves. Making sure you lube the gasket with silicone grease and being careful that the gasket sits in it's groove before screwing the back on is the only way to ensure water resistance.

Anyone else keeping track of these incidences and have noticed the same common factors or am I on the wrong track here?

I opened a newly-purchased, second-handed 5600 recently to clean it, and found the O-ring was pinched in one spot. In my own experience, the O-ring can move if one does not tighten back the screws over 2 rounds, ie first round maybe 80% tightened and a second round to full tight.

My guess is sometimes the service centers, in the interest of time, accidentally pinch the O-ring while closing back the covers.

Or it may also be a deteriorated O-ring since the watch has seen some years.

A preventive measure would be to go to service centers that can do a leak test after opening a watch.

Or self-service it! :)

Quote Originally Posted by nitewulf View Post
    Last weekend I went swimming in the ocean as I have many times before with my circa-1994 DW-6600. I noticed after leaving the water that the display showed only the seconds bar and the bar above it. The LCD time and date display had disappeared. I assume that the case gasket had finally deteriorated to the point it let in water. I have probably replaced the battery maybe 6 times. I've already won and received a nice, like new replacement from eBay. Is there any way to prevent this happening again save from replacing the gasket at every battery change? A jeweler tried to tell me that once you open the case these watches are no longer considered "water resistant". I love my new watch, but am almost afraid to let it get wet. By the way, the new one must be some sort of special edition as it has what's called an orange "foxfire" illumination button in place of the usual gray button. It also says "fox fire" on the bezel above the button.
    Fox Fire is same as Illuminator or Electro Luminescence. Fox Fire is for Japan market, Illuminator for international market.
    Casio F-91W
    Casio G-Shock DW-6600
    Alexandre Christie 6092MC
    Fossil CH-2854
    Timex T2N697

LUW

Quote Originally Posted by dobber72 View Post
    Making sure you lube the gasket with silicone grease and being careful that the gasket sits in it's groove before screwing the back on is the only way to ensure water resistance.
    I agree that the smashing majority of flooded Gs occurred because what you wrote was NOT followed. This is a mistake that anyone could make, being the jeweler or the owner, however I only recall this happening when the battery change was done by a "professional".
    Cheers!
    Luciano

Thread Information