DW-6700: quality of case

Thread: DW-6700: quality of case

DW-6700: quality of case

Just right now I have received another vintage DW-6700, the green model with gold buckle and pushers...
    Even this one have the sensor protection in a more softer material that is already cracked...
    I have other two DW-6700 and both have the sensor "protection" part that is made in different material than the case, and is "cracked" (in one) or "melt down" (in the other).
    I have to see that almost one of those, the one that is meltdown was strongly used by me... the other two (the green military also) was used, but not abused, for this reason It's strange that the "protection" of sensor is in so bad condition...
    To investigate in this problem, I have also discover that one of those (my early one, the strongly used) leaved in a cotton bag with other G's for about four weeks during a house moving, has released a kind of "oiled" material, all over the case, that was not easy to wash even with soft mild detergent and warm water....! The other G's even if they was in contact was not touched from this oiled film that cover my DW-6700

What do you think?
    I will publish some pics, ASAP, for now, just check your DW-6700 and let me know your opinion

Thanks!
    Last edited by Schirra; August 27th, 2009 at 14:52.
    Salva
    Salva

Re: DW-6700: quality of case

Do not keep G-shocks in cotton bags as cotton will attract moist which will accelerate resin rott. Best to keep them in card board/Wooden/metal or plastic boxes.

The DW-6700 was available between 1994-1998 so they are between 11 and 15 years old. So it is not so strange that some of them are starting to suffer the resin rott curse of all resin watches.

Casio have updated the resin in later models so that might explain why only your DW-6700 was covered with oily surface. I have definetly noticed on mine that it is prone to get a white powder surface. But so far mine is in near new condition, only some scratching on the strap.

But yes the area around the sensor is a weak spot as it is so thin.
    The Water Resistance Myth VS Reality article:https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=159142

Hi Joakin and thanks for your advice...
    BTW, the other G-Shock stored in the bag (DW-6500 and Older Riseman or DW-5300 was not in anyway touche for this problem...)

I have here some picture.
    The first one show how the first DW-6700 that I ahve purchase was totally melted in my hand after keep out form the bag and try to wash with warm water!
    It was destroyed... the "sticky" material was all over the palce, inside the watch also... I see this when I have open the watch (the material was make some contamination the module that dead... after 5 hours the strange "glue" is still alive...
    In othe picture you see other DW-6700... the area of sensor in the black one is destroyed (it wasn't in any bag but over a palstic box) and the other, the green one, is cracked.
    I think thta the DW-6700 in some way was made with some porblem in the resin material.... it's very starnge that I have three and all three are presenting same kind of sticky resin....

Compared to my two DW-6500 (and to many others) I see a totally different resin...
    I hope this investigation will help people with DW-6700 to keep eyes open to the situation of the case

Salva
    Salva

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I hope my DW-6700 will survive much longer before that start happening as I have a special bound with that watch.

But after looking at those pictures i am starting to suspect that it is a battery issue. Perhaps the battery shorted out after beeing exposed to a powerfull EM field or something and started to boil.

I think it looks alot like the "Gooey" I found on the cicruit inside one of my remotes that had a old battery. Battery acid sure can melt resin...
    The Water Resistance Myth VS Reality article:https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=159142

The suggestion about the battery it's interesting... and I confess that I have the same idea... but...
    I just will ask: may be a battery issue if the battery was currently running?
    I say this because the watch was normally running when I bring out form the bag... apart from the "sticky oiled" allover the case, there was no problem, since I have try to wash it... after the washing (and the oil will not drain away) the case melt down...

It's a very weird situation at all....
    Let's see what happen with the DW-6700 that is coming today....

It's a pity... the story of the DW-6700 is that I have buy the first one in 1994 after along saving time... I was so poor at the time, but I save for months for buy the DW-6700... it's a pity to see it meltdown in my hand... and discover that also the spare one is broken...

:(
    Salva
    Salva

Thread Information