DW-6900 CB-1 Negative to positive lcd mod half fail
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By benjizaxandthealienprince

Thread: DW-6900 CB-1 Negative to positive lcd mod half fail

Member benjizaxandthealienprince's Avatar

Next experiment from the lab, some good results, some bad!:)
    This write up is a little slap-dash and half-arsed but I thought I’d share my findings/ half-fail. :)
    I bought a DW-6900-CB with my eyes on flipping the display back to positive and begin the creation of a couple of franken-6900s.
    Here it is, out of it’s shell (so impatient I didn’t take any photos or it as is!):
    Name:  1. out of bezel.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  32.0 KB

In bits:
    Name:  2. all in bits.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  58.8 KB

Pesky springs!
    Name:  3. pesky lil springs.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  43.0 KB

Polarising film for an iPhone and positive here we come!
    Name:  4. Positive here we go!.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  49.7 KB

Back to black:
    Name:  5. negative.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  51.7 KB

Et voila!! But hey, what is this? :-?
    Name:  6. Et voila, but wats dis?.jpg
Size:  60.3 KB

The 24hr al/sig/etc markings are printed on the back of the LCD? :-?
    I’v not noticed this or remember seeing them on articles on positive LCDs.
    When switched to positive these are constantly on display. When setting is selected the setting is highlighted/blacked out.
    I didn’t take any images of the boxing out unfortunately but you can see the markings still present in the images to get the gist of what I found here.

Ah well, now to the back filter. Off it comes.
    At this point I was fully aware that I’d lose the markings for the eyes but was of the mind that the offending ever-present decals would be erased from the back but still be present on the lcd as per a standard positive LCD for the 6900.
    A couple of snaps of the process:
    Name:  7. Back polariser off.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  41.7 KBName:  8. Back polariser off 2.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  50.4 KB

back pics and lcd/mirror reflector
    Name:  10. back reflector and lcd.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  50.3 KB

Now to match the tone of the original.
    The gold colouring on the back of the lcd easy enough to replace with a gel filter, I found ‘#06: No colour straw’ from the Rosco swatch book is pretty close to the original colour
    Pretty easy to take back polariser off although I think one will always lose any decals that are on there.
    Name:  9. Colour matching gold.jpg
Size:  62.1 KB

Again, in my haste, I took no pictures at this point because I was in fail mode and kinda just stumped as to why this would be happening, thinking to myself, “Doubt they’d make a 3230 specifically for just one series. I could see the point of putting it on there for better clarity in negative but specifically for one model doesn’t seems that cost effective. Maybe they would, I dunno, lolz, it just seems weird as it’s not on other tutorials I’ve seen or modules I’ve opened up?“

You can kinda see what I’m on about in the next bunch of pictures though.
    Back to negative: nope, still nowt there. 0.0!
    Name:  11. ack bye bye decals.jpg
Size:  37.3 KBName:  12. ack bye bye decals 2.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  36.8 KBName:  13. bye bye decals illuminator.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  48.8 KB

Notes at this point in time:
    It’s salvageable as the LCD its not broken, I just think I’ll have to switch it back to negative.
    A workaround is printing some replacement decals on clear plastic and back to negative it stays!
    I need a new printer because some meltdown sp zz and it’s pet hag atta ed m ne in a b z l g m pl y ng r ge.
    Long story. And redacted as you can see here, cos they're top flight security of the world, supposably. X’D
    They have a m cr p n s and think they’re a s p rst r, but really live in I.T White Knight doldrums while f r v r hoping to save m id ns.

But it's at times like these where I actually need to use a printer so imma vent and feel awesome for it.
    Aaannnyyywwwaaaayyysss, back to the far more bothersome and oh-so troublesome LCD:
    So into the ‘finish later/work on more/parts bin’ it goes!
    Hey ho, at least for now I can experiment with colours and back reflectors. I might try reverse/negative display (only option it seems) and mirrored colour digits, red or blue, something like that.

I just wanted to share my findings as I haven’t seen anything like this (the decals painted on) on any of the positive 3230 tutorials I’ve read.
    Any thoughts, pointers? I’m pretty stumped outside of ‘yep, you rubbed the decals off’.
    Also, the samsung polariser (usually for an AMOLED, I since found out in the previous mod thread I did, thanks again for the low down on that one, Kevio) doesn’t have any noticeable effect on this particular LCD.

In closing: Is this something to keep in mind with negative display modules possibly? Not sure I want to cut another one open to find out lulz but this one is getting finished off once my labs up and running on full steam.
    As for the band and bezel, I’m planning on using for a hydrodipping experiment at some point down the line, it’s glossy and bleh but not all dinged up so waste not, want not!

Peace out!
    :D
    Last edited by benjizaxandthealienprince; November 1st, 2017 at 19:35. Reason: tidying up spacing on the words
    StephenWatch likes this.

Re: DW-6900 CB-1 Negative to positive lcd mod half fail

Black html squares don't seem to work on here, dang, but luckily, still redacted. X'D

I just love these, 'how to...'. firmly in the knowledge I'll never do it, but really interesting nonetheless. Well done
    Never argue with an idiot - they'll only bring you down to their level and win from experience...

GW7900B (Stealth modded), GW7900CD-9ER (slightly modded), G7900A-7ER (Camo modded) G7900MS-1BDR, GW2500BD, ProTrek PRG 60YT (RIP), Chase Durer Mach 3, 2 x Citizen Skyhawks (Black & Titanium), Citizen Carbon Promaster JY0075-54E, 2 x vintage Seiko Chronographs, Invicat Grand Diver, Citizen BL5280-52E. Casio GWA 1100-1AER, GWG 1000-1A3ER (J&K metal bracelet conversion). GA400...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hahaha.
    Thank you.
    I just like sharing my notes as I go along, in case anyone else thinks of doing the same with the same module.
    Not overly worried or down about it as I'm confident in how to rectify the mistake I made and I feel so calm and fresh from that printer vent, the only obstacle in completion of this particular Franken6900. :)

Kinda leaves a little scope for personalisation in the areas where those blocks appear though, so that's kinda 1 cool offshoot from this.
    And the eyes and all, I just need something with 3.
    Acronyms and the like.
    Or stars? Skulls?
    Maybe 138, I'm kinda on a Misfits buzz at present, lolz.
    or maybe actual eyes, I dunno lolz.
    Last edited by benjizaxandthealienprince; November 1st, 2017 at 20:40. Reason: additional bits and stuff

Thread Information