DW-8700-1V I ask to the expert...

Thread: DW-8700-1V I ask to the expert...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Confused DW-8700-1V I ask to the expert... (edit)

Recently, reading my G-shock japanese book I've put my eyes over the DW-8700-1V... I think is a really nice model.

I saw that it was released in 1996, but what I need to know is if this model also re-issued and available now as new model in stock?

I ask this because I've seen some in the "bay" sometime, that claim "new DW-8700-1V" so I ask: are they "new (old stock) or CASIO have in catalog this model from ten years?

I have same kind of questions about model like the DW-6900-1V or the 5600E, looking in the japanese book As in the picture attached) I seen that they was released about 1996, but you can still find new for very low price value.. can somebody help me with this question?O|

Thank a lot.

Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Schirra; September 17th, 2006 at 08:28.
    Salva
    Salva

Re: DW-8700-1V I ask to the expert...

This is the picture of the watch I mean, I think this is "vintage", but I'm not sure...

Salva
    Salva

Was Japan, now back home in Cairns, Queensland, Australia

Cool Terminator

Hi Schirra -

The original model was released in 1999 and had the words ///FOX FIRE\\\ on the face.

This re-released version has the words "ILLUMINATOR" not to be confused with TERMINATOR:-D

So I would say the models you see on EBay are nore than likely the re-released made for the non Japanese market.

I would say these are not made in Japan so just in-case that's important to you.

I'm not sure when they were re-released but would hazard I guess and say 2005/6

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi Shirra, Ozzie,

As far as I know this model is relesed world wide and so there is not a re-release. Normally Casio reserved the word Fox Fire for the Japanese models and Illuminator in the overseas models. A re-release would have meant the word Illuminator was used in the JP models also.

One exeption was made in the beginning. The European DW-6900H and DW-6630B had also the text Fox Fire in the display. I believe the DW-002 also had this word in the display, but strangely enough I don't have a basic DW-002 model in my collection.

BTW Shirra, that "small" catalogue is one of the best out there. I frequently read it too

Cheers,

Sjors
    There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Bezoek ook eens het Nederlandstalige WUS forum: Kaliber 2010

Was Japan, now back home in Cairns, Queensland, Australia

Hi Sjors -

I won't argue with you

Quote Originally Posted by Schirra
    This is the picture of the watch I mean, I think this is "vintage", but I'm not sure...
    I think everyone has other ideas about Vintage models. I take the differensation between the light buld models and the EL models, back in 1994 as a lead. Therefore this wouldn't be a vintage to me, but the DW-6000 is:

An other interpretation of vintage is that it's at least 10 years old. Then it is a vintage model

Cheers,

Sjors
    There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Bezoek ook eens het Nederlandstalige WUS forum: Kaliber 2010

:thanks

OK, let me understand better...
    If I follow the book, I see that the DW-8700 was released in 1996 in this year the Foxfire model have not the Illuminator, immediatly after the release in the same year the 1-V version with illuminator, that is still the same, right now, identical in 2006 as the 1996, correct me if I'm wrong.

From a point of view of collector, the first one is more desiderable, it's made in japan, and is the "turning generation model" with bulb light. But you can't find now (or is very difficult to find).
    The 1-V version is more common, is the same paragon you can have to buy a 5600C or a 5600E, right?

The book show well that the 1-V version was also release in the 1996 and this let me think that what you find now on sale on the bay or from some shop sellers on the web, are a actual model, that is exactly the same of ten years ago: but they are dead stock or if you are a shop and order 20pcs. to CASIO factory they have in stock and ready to send?

What I don't understand, by a point of view of normal collector is: the 8700-1V will be "wrong" near my DW- 6700 or DW-8300 (that was made in Malaysia even if I've buy correctly in a shop in 1994/1996) or it will OK to have in a normal Casio G's collection?

btw: I have another method of course when collecting the Omega Speedmaster of my astronautic collection, every pieces must be perfectly detailed with the reference of the watch that have flight, of course I have vintage pieces from '60 and I can't assume that a new speedmaster model (the ones you can buy now in a shop) is good for my collection, but you know clear thet the reference of a moonwatch, the hands, the bezel, the case, are not the same respect to one of the '60... if I compare the DW-68700 1-V that is available on the web, with the one in the book I see that are identical....O| O| O|

Salva
    Salva

How does the 8700 compare to the 6900 size wise?

i don't see how a DW8700-1V would be wrong in a collection (of course, that depends on how you define wrong)

if you are talking about Dw6000 vs DW8700, then i think you can look at them as different models (they have entirely different model numbers and the main attraction in DW6000, 1/1000 sec chronograph, is missing in DW8700)

i think DW8700 is an un-sung hero. it has the same timing and chronograph function as DW6900 (with a bar chart instead of eyes) if i remember it correctly, it even display current time in both stopwatch and countdown timer. and it even has a big screen appearance in the movie threater (Speed 2)

i can only say the DW8700 is comparable in size with DW6900. great watch! (though can't say the same thing about the movie :-D )

Yes you are correct on the time displayed in both stopwatch and countdown. -and correct on the movie also:)

I actually think I like the face of the 8700 better, but like the 5th button of the 6900.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information