DW-9900 questions
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By LankyOrangutan
  • 1 Post By LankyOrangutan
  • 1 Post By domoon

Thread: DW-9900 questions

DW-9900 questions

Hello, right now i'm interested with DW-9900. at first it was the idea of having a froggy on my collection. but the price on them gwf-1000 is just too much for my wallet to handle LOL. so i did some digging on the older models, and found that the 9900, despite being later model than 8200, can be bough relatively cheaper. So here's some question to those who have/had one, how's the size and fit? i've heard on most reviews that the 9900 being the smaller one of the bunch made it less popular froggy. is that true? how small it is compared to 8230? i tried the 8230 on the AD today, and the strap hugs my almost 8" wrist nicely. my only nitpick would be the smaller digits compared to the rangeman i wear that time, but maybe i can live with it since the strap fits really well... there's also the GWF-1000 there but i hate to be that one customer who keeps asking to try expensive watches everytime he visits but didn't buy, especially since it's just last week i asked to look at the MudMaster
    if possible, i'd like to ask a comparison photo against DW/GD-X6900 would be really appreciated. much better if someone have it with Rangeman. those are the models i'm quite familiar with the sizing and feel on the wrist. it's almost impossible - i think - to find one of the 9900's here where i'm living. unless there's a chance meeting with a collector.
    how about the battery? since it first introduced at 1999, if somehow i got one from that year, how long would probably the battery last? how about the resin, do u think it would still be okay - atleast for the next 5 years?
    as for the module, from reading the manual i understand that it don't have pre-set world time instead it has set-able diving site time. does it bother you?
    One more question, about dying the strap and bezel. if i got the W.C.C.S jelly instead of the solid ones, and decided to go dying, if i dye it 3 times - let's say white first, yellow then red - will it lose the jellyness and looked more solid, or will it still retain it's transparency? do the rit-dye and dylon gives different result? which one is better for the jelly straps? i've got the urge to get a red G's lately. maybe this one could scratch the itch

i think that's all for now, thank you for coping with my long and winded questions :D

Re: DW-9900 questions

Comparison shot with a pair of 6900's. DW on the left, GD-X on the right.

Name:  99FrogComparison.JPG
Views: 420
Size:  369.2 KB

As you can see, it's a little bit smaller than a DW-6900, but realistically it wears about the same to me. I haven't got a Rangeman or a 8200 to compare it to, but I can get a shot along side a 1000 series frog if you want.

The battery wont be the original one by this point, so how long it lasts depends on when it was changed and how it's been used since.

The resin on mine is fine for now, and with how I use it, it'll (hopefully) be fine for the next five years. Honestly, I've got no idea, and see no sense in worrying about it now.

The lack of a true world time is irrelevant to me, I don't need it at all.

Can't help you with resin dyeing, I've never done it. But as a tangent, from what I understand, jelly resin seems more resistant to resin rot, which ties into your other question.

Thank you, lanky! It does look a tad smaller than DW-6900, if not very close, but definitely smaller than GD-X. the digit size seems to resembles the GDX tho. How it wear compared to the GD-X? Does it hug the wrist more or have about the same gap under the strap? The main reason i can't seem to bond with my GD-X is the gap :| having slightly rounded wrist, it sits too tall and wide to my liking.

Carpatakled

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The gap looks pretty much identical to my DW-6900 to me. Definitely smaller than the GD-X's gap, that's for sure.

I can live with DW-6900's gap i think. Lived with one for a couple of week before curiosity on other model got me LOL.
    Anyway, since i'm pretty much set in finding one of the jelly, i started looking for dyeing guides. Found the dyed jelly thread and lo-and-behold, it has PLENTY of jelly frog inside! There's also some comparison on jelly frogs and of course, 8200 vs 9900 picture side by side. Now i learned something new, that the 8230 and 8200 is using different module LOL.
    Anyway, i guess I'll try to look for one jelly frog then. Will reporting back after i hit one and if i decide to proceed with dyeing. Thank you! :D

I type butter when on my phone
    LankyOrangutan likes this.

An update: decided to try fromjapan for the first time to get an 9900 wccs. Still waiting if my friend (the one from my other read) want to bid a gl-100 for strap donor so i can just consolidate them in one shipping. Now to order some dye.. Shipping from US usually took longer to reach Indonesia compared with shipping from japan.

An update. Finally my package arrived!
    The package was unexpectedly big, it turn out that this wccs frog have a darn big box.
    Here it is, still showing the Japan time

Wearing it on the third hole

The said box

The watch looks beautiful with no sign of use, a bit stiff on the strap, i guess being too long in the box, but fits well. The fit is also good. Even though being in the small side, i didn't mind it.
    The adjust button is hard to press, and upon further investigation it looks like crooked against the bezel. Maybe from battery changing, I'll open it later.

Also there's a cameo of dwx-199

I was planning to have another watch with same strap with my friend's dw-9050, was being confident I'll win the bid for a nice looking gl-100. But it turns out that it got sniped over my deposit at from Japan.. Tried watching the auction a couple more days but no luck. So i decided to just spent what's left on my deposit and got this guy.

So that's my report for now. Still waiting for rit dyes from canada, expecting it to arrive next week. But honestly, seeing the watch as is i don't think i'll mess with it - being pristine and all... Maybe I'll try to score another jelly as guinea pig :p

Last edited by domoon; November 14th, 2015 at 05:39.

Thread Information