dw5600 and 6900 or gw6900
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: dw5600 and 6900 or gw6900

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

dw5600 and 6900 or gw6900

so I recently purchased a used gw6900 from Amazon and decided to return it as it had dirt on it and didn't think it was worth what I paid for it even though it was a great price. so that got me thinking and was wondering what you g-shock fanatics would do in this situation.

I could get both a dw5600 and dw6900 for the price of a gw6900 and was wondering if anyone would suggest doing that. I don't have any gshocks and thought getting two of the iconic designs would be a great intro to the world of gshocks.

Let me know your thoughts and opinions and also if you like the older version of those watches as opposed to the solar/atomic versions.

lvt

Re: dw5600 and 6900 or gw6900

Quote Originally Posted by Cmilanaik View Post
    Let me know your thoughts and opinions and also if you like the older version of those watches as opposed to the solar/atomic versions.

It solely depends on you, if you are someone who does most of activities at night, there is no point to buy a solar watch.
    Ball - Casio / G-shock - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Seiko - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

Quote Originally Posted by lvt View Post
    It solely depends on you, if you are someone who does most of activities at night, there is no point to buy a solar watch.
    Does one have a clearer display than the other or is it really negligible?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

lvt

Does one have a clearer display than the other or is it really negligible?

The GW-5600J has bigger digits than other 5600/6900 which greatly improve the screen's visibility.

Name:  DSCN4231.0.jpg
Views: 1861
Size:  106.3 KB

Photo credit: steve403
    Ball - Casio / G-shock - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Seiko - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

The GW-5600J has bigger digits than other 5600/6900 which greatly improve the screen's visibility.

Name:  DSCN4231.0.jpg
Views: 1861
Size:  106.3 KB

Photo credit: steve403
    Thanks! I haven't come across the middle one yet but I really do like the size of the digits and how it looks.
    Also how do you like the one on the far right in regards to visibility and any issues with that?

lvt

Also how do you like the one on the far right in regards to visibility and any issues with that?

Unless you use your watch as the last available tool to do some serious stuffs like fly a wide body passenger aircraft or launch an atomic transcontinental missile, there will be no problem with a reversed screen G-shock, a true G-shock guy would equally appreciate a reversed display.

Ok cause I was looking at dw6900ms-1 and people are negative towards the display but I really do like the watch a lot. think it's a great stealthy look. I mean my instinct has been conditioned to go for my iPhone to look at the time for all those years without a watch anyways.

lvt

Ok cause I was looking at dw6900ms-1 and people are negative towards the display but I really do like the watch a lot. think it's a great stealthy look. I mean my instinct has been conditioned to go for my iPhone to look at the time for all those years without a watch anyways.

You are not wrong, the reversed display is part of the stealthiness on that watch, a negative display usually has more beautiful lume while in the dark.

...a negative display usually has more beautiful lume while in the dark.
    Personally, I don't know as I'd call them "beautiful" -- the numbers glow, the background doesn't.

They look a lot like an old-school LED watch, which I'm old enough to remember.

Ok cause I was looking at dw6900ms-1 and people are negative towards the display....
    Keep reading this forum and you'll see a LOT of threads discussing how negative displays aren't as easily legible, at a glance, in less-than-optimum lighting conditions. At noon on a sunny day, they're both easy to read. In dim light indoors, at dawn or twilight outdoors, a positive display is often easier to read than a negative display without resorting to using the light button.

Here's one thread on the topic: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/leg...ys-537560.html

That being said, negative displays are more unusual, more stealthy, and DO look cool -- only YOU can decide if you can live with the visibility!

Edit: back to the original post....

I could get both a dw5600 and dw6900 for the price of a gw6900 and was wondering if anyone would suggest doing that. I don't have any gshocks and thought getting two of the iconic designs would be a great intro to the world of gshocks.

Personally, I LIKE the solar/atomic features of the GW-6900 enough that I have more than one of that version, and I wear them a LOT. I've got an old DW-5600E that I converted to a negative display, and a newer one that I left "stock" and seldom wear them. They're not as accurate, and they wear a lot smaller on my wrist.

If you want a choice of two watches for the price of one, by all means, go with the non-atomics, or if you live somewhere where your watch will get limited sunlight or where it won't get a "synch signal" each night.

If you prefer 2009 technology to 1996 technology, and like cool gadgets, go with the solar/atomic!
    Last edited by Mike K; August 14th, 2013 at 08:54.

so I recently purchased a used gw6900 from Amazon and decided to return it as it had dirt on it and didn't think it was worth what I paid for it even though it was a great price. so that got me thinking and was wondering what you g-shock fanatics would do in this situation.

I have a new GW-6900 (my first G-Shock) that I got from Amazon less than a month ago for less than the cost of the DW-6900 plus DW-5600. It was about US$75. I am VERY happy with it at that price. I'd even be happy with it at $100. But I can understand your reluctance to keep it if you paid more than me for something used that isn't pretty much perfect.

For me, I'm using it as my daily wearer, so I don't have to worry about it not getting enough light. And it has synced with the atomic clock every night. I love the fact that it's never going to be off of the correct time by more than a few tenths of a second. But frankly, a regular quartz that doesn't sync is good enough, and the batteries in these are going to last a very long time. So to get two instead, that's a tough call. I have thought that my second should be some sort of 5600.
    Cmilanaik likes this.
    Current: Certina DS First Chronograph, Squale 20 Atmos Classic, Casio Edifice EF527, G-Shock GW-6900-1, Rado, Invicta, Maurice LaCroix
    Past: Victorinox Chrono Classic 1/100 241618, Seiko SBDC001, SKX779, Deep Blue Ocean Diver 500, G-Shock GA-1000FC, AWG-101, Citizen BM8475-26e, Oris TT1 Divers Date, TAG Heuer Pilot

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information