DW5600: Most perfect watch ever?
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: DW5600: Most perfect watch ever?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

DW5600: Most perfect watch ever?

I cannot break it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    alexs12, Rmehu, Flex1493 and 6 others like this.

Re: DW5600: Most perfect watch ever?

And for the price you can't beat it.

nigelw, Iyonk and flybynight70 like this.

Oh and these are my two baby's.

nigelw and Iyonk like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by bluewindow View Post
    I cannot break it!
    You probably CAN break it if you try hard enough -- but what would be the point?

It may not be THE most perfect watch ever, but it's almost certainly the best value in an almost indestructible watch!

To me,the 5600-series (5000-series) are the soul of G-Shock. And yes,there might be even better G's. But the 5600-series got the DNA of G-Shock. Affordable,tough,simple and above all,a watch. Nothing more,nothing less. That's what is take to be a G-Shock. But perfect? Almost. Casio should never had made the 5600 with a resin case. They should have sticked with the steel case and screwback. It would have make the 5600 more expensive and thus less popular.
    Flex1493, Iyonk, rybak and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasabor View Post
    To me,the 5600-series (5000-series) are the soul of G-Shock. And yes,there might be even better G's. But the 5600-series got the DNA of G-Shock. Affordable,tough,simple and above all,a watch. Nothing more,nothing less. That's what is take to be a G-Shock. But perfect? Almost. Casio should never had made the 5600 with a resin case. They should have sticked with the steel case and screwback. It would have make the 5600 more expensive and thus less popular.

Wait...... That means i wanted to say,Casio should never had made the 5600. Just the 5000-series.

Quote Originally Posted by bluewindow View Post

I cannot break it!

The GW-5000-1JF is my favourite watch ever. I think it is a timeless classic, and the best watch ever for me. But is not perfect.

I would make the following improvements to the GW-5000-1JF:

• Round dots for colon and rounded number segments like the oldest Casio watches. GIS for Casiotron.
    • Eliminate PS, RCVD, Mute, and A.EL indicators to clean up the display. I can find these values experimentally or with buttons.
    • Use text for SNZ, ALM, SIG, L, M, H instead of bars so they can be read at night via backlight, but also remove them from time display like the others mentioned above.
    • Remove button labels -- who doesn't know these by heart after a day?
    • Show current local time in world time, timer, and stopwatch modes.
    • Option to chose world time or stopwatch mode accessible via what is now the Receiving button, moving Receiving section to the last mode (like PRW-3000).
    • One button swap of time zone in world time mode (press and hold what is now Receiving).
    • Option for 1 or 3 second backlight.
    • Somehow eliminate unsightly crack that appears between band and bezel when band cinched tight.
    • Make first hour digit the same size as the second. I'm 24HR mode only person and the small 2 bugs me.
    • When the watch syncs, remember how far off it was, and apply a software trim accordingly (equivalent to turning adjustment screw inside).
    • Use sapphire crystal for the watch face.

Some of these improvements might might make the watch less of a timeless classic, but I'd still welcome them.
    nigelw and zabat like this.

^

Regarding the GW-5000, all I want as an improvement would be an auto-repeat countdown timer, adjustable light intensity option, sapphire crystal, and LOUDER alarms or the option to adjust volume. The addition of vibration alerts and alarms would be the icing on cake. Everything else is golden. I have no issue with the button labels. They're consistent with the retro 80's labeling and compared to other models, they're less conspicuous. While not functionally essential, I see them as essential to the G-shock aesthetic
    Last edited by Ottovonn; March 4th, 2014 at 03:26.
    riffraff, Flex1493 and nigelw like this.
    Just your average Japanese watch fan: Casio, Citizen, Seiko

View my collection **here**

View my feedback by clicking **here**

Your friendly neighborhood enabler,

Otto

You should send it to me. I'll see if'n I can break it.
    Life is short. Drink good beer.

"Never try to outstubborn a cat.” -- Robert A. Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

Quote Originally Posted by inox View Post
    The GW-5000-1JF is my favourite watch ever. I think it is a timeless classic, and the best watch ever for me. But is not perfect.

I would make the following improvements to the GW-5000-1JF:

• Round dots for colon and rounded number segments like the oldest Casio watches. GIS for Casiotron.
    • Eliminate PS, RCVD, Mute, and A.EL indicators to clean up the display. I can find these values experimentally or with buttons.
    • Use text for SNZ, ALM, SIG, L, M, H instead of bars so they can be read at night via backlight, but also remove them from time display like the others mentioned above.
    • Remove button labels -- who doesn't know these by heart after a day?
    • Show current local time in world time, timer, and stopwatch modes.
    • Option to chose world time or stopwatch mode accessible via what is now the Receiving button, moving Receiving section to the last mode (like PRW-3000).
    • One button swap of time zone in world time mode (press and hold what is now Receiving).
    • Option for 1 or 3 second backlight.
    • Somehow eliminate unsightly crack that appears between band and bezel when band cinched tight.
    • Make first hour digit the same size as the second. I'm 24HR mode only person and the small 2 bugs me.
    • When the watch syncs, remember how far off it was, and apply a software trim accordingly (equivalent to turning adjustment screw inside).
    • Use sapphire crystal for the watch face.

Some of these improvements might might make the watch less of a timeless classic, but I'd still welcome them.
    You should definitely try to find a WV-M400. It has most of the features you're looking for:
    - written indicators "SNZ", "ALM" etc.
    - current time in all modes
    - worldtime swap with lower right button
    - no button labels
    - no charge indicator
    - extra receiving mode as part of the menu
    Best of all - it has a full metal case with standard lugs (however the original bracelet is not attached with springbars but with pins - it was some effort to remove those). I had one once in good condition but was stupid enough to sell it - later I bought a beaten-up specimen for a really good price.

It still has the squashed "2" however, no sapphire crystal and low water resistance (3 bar). Digits are also not rounded.
    edit: it's also the only solar/atomic Casio I know of with a 24 hour timer WITH repeat - most others either have no repeat at all or a shorter timer with limited repeat.

cheers, Sedi
    Last edited by Sedi; March 4th, 2014 at 04:11.
    Iyonk likes this.
    Cheers
    Sedi

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information