DW5600C crystal removal?
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: DW5600C crystal removal?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

DW5600C crystal removal?

Is it possible to remove a DW5600C crystal easily? I know the E's crystal can be. I got a C today, and the crystal is "melted" from welding sparks. Although the case is in good condition, minimal scratches on the case back, and I'm told by the seller that the screws can be removed, although I haven't tried it. Also, what I like about it, is that it has a green light, something I din't know until it showed up, so I've been playing with it a bit, although I probably should stop as I worry about the bulb burning out Anyway, I have another C with a better crystal but is missing a screw and has a screw broken off in the case, so I was hoping I could just swap crystals. Here is a quick cell phone pic. It came with generic dw5700 resin, but I swapped to my Brazilian resin. The picture is pretty dark but I think you can still see the significant crystal damage.

Name:  gYL1hnSl.jpg
Views: 2650
Size:  31.2 KB
    Last edited by woodt3; August 22nd, 2013 at 21:29.

Re: DW5600C crystal removal?

Crystal probably pushes from the back, like usualy on watches? And there's an o-ring around it.

P.s.: Try to put some WD-40 around the screws when removing them, might help in case there's a possibility they might break.

I tried pushing it gently but didn't want to use too much force, from what I've read the E crystal comes out easily but wasn't sure how much force is needed for the C so I was hoping someone had done it. As to the screws, I don't need to remove them, so I'm just going to leave them in.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

True, you don't have to remove screws if not neccessary, you can put bezel on by stretching it just a bit more.

As for the crystal, I'm sure someone will know how to do it. Lots of restored 5600cs around here.

I too want to know how to remove a crystal? And, how to install a crystal as well. I know KungFusion has done it. So, he is our hope in answering our questions.

@Kungfusion- Do you mind doing a steps by steps write up on how to remove and install a crystal on 5600C? Please mention what tools are needed? Thanks in advance.

I don't use real tools so I don't recommend my method. It is kind of hard to explain. It is also easy to damage the old crystal. But if the old crystal is going to be replaced just shatter it. Putting the new one in is easy. Just press. Hard and evenly.

The problem is I don't have a new crystal, I was just going to crystal swap between two 5600s

Quote Originally Posted by woodt3 View Post
    The problem is I don't have a new crystal, I was just going to crystal swap between two 5600s
    Noone has a new crystal, those are very hard to find. Anyway, I have a couple of 5600C that I can practice with. I guess there is no right way of removing a crystal, so it will be a trial and error. I will try to remove some crystals and post back here about the result.

Goodluck!

I haven't done a 5600C specifically, but have done 2 of the 20-25th anniversary DW5000s. I replaced both with brand new crystals, but was attempting to hone the technique to save them for future use. What I did was cut a groove in a piece of scrap 2x4 that was the right size to hold the case while leaving a space under the crystal. Then I used a C-Clamp on the other side of the board and into the case to push the crystal out. First try I wasn't the least bit concerned with saving the crystal, but it came out in one piece. The clamp had torn up some of the artwork on it though. Second try, I still didn't care about the crystal so it was a half hearted effort. I put a piece of cloth between the crystal and clamp. Results were better, but that wasn't the right answer either. I don't think it would be hard to figure out a way to save it though.
    This pic shows the removed crystal on the 1st attempt. If you look to the bottom of the removed crystal you can see where there is some damage where it has the little "shock resist" symbol down there. There is actually damage to the clear part also which you just can't see in the pic. Sorry, no pics of the rig I used. I used some scrap wood and probably chucked it afterward. To make it I set the watch face down, marked the edges around the crystal, sawed a kerf at the line on each side and removed the middle with a chisel. Simple groove, just has to be sized correctly so the watch will stay in place while you clamp around it. Deep enough to let the crystal out.

G-fob and woodt3 like this.
    Current
    DW-8200MS "Kermit in Smoke" Frogman
    DW-8200F-4 Red Frogman
    GW-200-2 "Navy" Frogman - modded
    DW-5000SP "Bloody Project Team Tough mod"
    DW-9900 Frogman
    DW-5700 with 5600EH crystal "Screwback Eric Haze"
    GW-5000
    Beater G-3110

Quote Originally Posted by Pinoy_G-shock View Post
    Noone has a new crystal, those are very hard to find. Anyway, I have a couple of 5600C that I can practice with. I guess there is no right way of removing a crystal, so it will be a trial and error. I will try to remove some crystals and post back here about the result.

Goodluck!

As promised I would come back to this post to give you guys some updates on my results on how to remove a crystal. I thought I had some 5600c watches, but they were 5200 and 5700. Sorry!

That's a C-clamp and a piece of wood, which I cut some part of it to make a saddle for the watch to rest on. At the same time, enough space was created to make room for the crystal when It pops out.

This is how it looks likewhen pushing out the crystal.

This is the wood saddle on closer look.

and....Disaster!!! First try wasn't a success, but I have learned a lot from this. I used a piece of plastic between the C-clamp's pusher and the crystal to spread the force. But, the plastic wasn't thick and strong enough to disperse the force evenly. Therefore, the crystal cracked in the middle, where the force was concentrated.

This is the rubber I used.

Having learned from that mistake above, I made this piece of wood. This wood was a little tricky to make, because It had to be the right size to fit inside the watch's casing.

This is just a piece of thick paper that I used between the wood and crystal to prevent damage to the crystal graphics.

an......Finally! A SUCCESS!!!! YOHOOOOOO! All in all, it took me about 45 minutes to an hour making the wood saddle and wood pusher. It wasn't difficult at all. I knew beforehand that It was going to be a trial and error. I hope to inspire everyone to try removing their crystals for transplanting to other casings. There was no damage to the second crystal. There were already some delaminations on that crystal before it was removed.

Last edited by Pinoy_G-shock; August 30th, 2013 at 06:42.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information